Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    Initial entries for the second JGP in Brisbane, Australia have been published on the ISU site and a new event thread has been started in the Kiss and Cry forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79720

Team USA's entries are (2011 Nationals placement included):
    Vanessa Lam (S7), Courtney Hicks (J1); Jason Brown (S9), Philip Warren (J6); Lauri Bonacorsi/Travis Mager (J2), Madeline Heritage/Nathaniel Fast (J8) in dance.

There are a couple of new alternates listed: Jay Yostanto (added to the ISP after his good showing at Liberty), Polina Edmunds (J7), and the 2 ice dance teams of Amanda Bertsch/Semen Kaplun (not yet added on the ISP page but they had good results in Lake Placid), and Elliana Pogrebinsky/Ross Gudis (N4).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post

Good point, although even last year they spread the wealth quite a bit. Only 4 out of the 10 girls who received assignments got a second one. There will be plenty of spots available, but there are still enough girls from Nationals to fill all those spots. It would be nice for at least Gracie Gold to sneak in there somewhere, but I won't hold my breath.
    Leah Keiser just skated VERY well at Glacier Falls and might be considered before Gracie potentially. Idk though, I feel like there are a lot of girls, like Polina Edmunds, Nina Jiang, Barbie Long, Hannah Miller, Mariah Bell, Ashley Cain, etc that might be given JGP assignments before those who did not qualify for nationals, despite the fact that Gracie and Leah have outscored all the ladies I mentioned in summer competitions. It might be a protocol sort of thing. As for Daniels, she did medal at nationals, so I would assume she's getting an initial assignment, although where she finished 4th which is only considered medaling in US competitions, maybe she won't. It is frustrating, both she and Lauren Dinh have been skating poorly this summer and will likely be given assignments over those who are skating great now but did not fair as well at nationals (if they even qualified for them at all).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Leah Keiser just skated VERY well at Glacier Falls and might be considered before Gracie potentially. Idk though, I feel like there are a lot of girls, like Polina Edmunds, Nina Jiang, Barbie Long, Hannah Miller, Mariah Bell, Ashley Cain, etc that might be given JGP assignments before those who did not qualify for nationals, despite the fact that Gracie and Leah have outscored all the ladies I mentioned in summer competitions. It might be a protocol sort of thing. As for Daniels, she did medal at nationals, so I would assume she's getting an initial assignment, although where she finished 4th which is only considered medaling in US competitions, maybe she won't. It is frustrating, both she and Lauren Dinh have been skating poorly this summer and will likely be given assignments over those who are skating great now but did not fair as well at nationals (if they even qualified for them at all).
    Don't forget Angela Wang! She actually did quite well at her JGP last year (4th) and just missed qualifying for Nationals.

vCash
    Amazing the number of quality Junior skaters in the ranks at the moment.

vCash

Thumbs up

Gracie also skated extremely well at Glacier Falls, landing clean triple-triples in both short and long. SP jump notes (3F3T,3Lz,1A), FS jump notes (3Lz3T with +.70 GOE 2A3T with +1.05 GOE,3Lo,3F,3Lz,2A2T,3S) only lady at competition to land clean triple-triple. Beautiful programs and presentation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by isphawk View Post
    Gracie also skated extremely well at Glacier Falls, landing clean triple-triples in both short and long. SP jump notes (3F3T,3Lz,1A), FS jump notes (3Lz3T with +.70 GOE 2A3T with +1.05 GOE,3Lo,3F,3Lz,2A2T,3S) only lady at competition to land clean triple-triple. Beautiful programs and presentation
    Ya I think it will come down to the protocol USFS uses. Dinh and Daniels haven't been skating like they deserve a JGP this summer, but will probably get them anyways. But maybe skaters like Keiser, Gold, and Wang will be assigned ahead of the novice medalists this season just where there are 3 ladies in contention who didn't make nationals but have since been skating very well. I don't know where Nina and Polina would fit into the lineup, but they may have a decent shot at an assignment as well, and they did at least compete at nationals last season.

vCash
    Initial entries for the third JGP in Gdansk, Poland have been published on the ISU site and a new event thread has been started in the Kiss and Cry forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79797

Team USA's entries are (2011 Nationals placement, where applicable, included):
    Samantha Cesario (S-wd), Lauren Dinh (J2); Joshua Farris (S21), David Wang (J7); Jessica Calalang/Zack Sidhu (J8), Madeline Aaron/Max Settlage (N1), Britney Simpson/Matthew Blackmer (new) in pairs; Rachel Parsons/Michael Parsons (N1), Jessica Mancini/Tyler Brooks (N2) in dance.

There are a couple of new singles alternates listed: Jordan Moeller (N2) and Nix Phengsy (N3) in men, and Angela Wang in ladies.

vCash
    I don't think you can use the summer competitions for how assignments are made. Some skater's may have had injuries, but are forced to skate some summer competitions even if they are not ready to compete, to be considered for an assignment.
    USFS take's the skater's aside from the competitions and individually monitors them as well to evaluate where they think they really are.
    These athletes also are doing periodization training as well, which means building strength thru the spring and summer for the main competitive season, not necessarily honing their programs for top summer scores.

vCash
    Initial entries were published today for the 4th JGP in Brasov, Romania and include the first (debut) JGP assignments for Harrison Choate (J8 at Nationals) Shotaro Omori (J9) and McKinzie Daniels (J4) in singles and Hawayek/Bramante (N3) in dance - link to event thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79896

I believe 2011 Novice champion Hannah Miller is the only new U.S. alternate listed among the initial/provisional entries.

vCash
    (Moving this over from the JGP #1 thread)
    My take on the JGP US ladies situation:
    Sadly, Siraj and Cain will not get second assignments. So who will get Siraj's provisional assignment at Brasov? I think that Edmunds will get it, she's been on the sub list longer than Wang and Miller so I would assume she is above them in USFSA's priority. Of course, if Lam medals, they could give her Brasov, I suppose. (Baga was on the first sub list but since hasn't been included; I'm assuming she won't be involved.)

It will be interesting to see if more subs are added with the next set of provisional assignments (next week?) I guess then we will really know who is and isn't being considered.

Ashley CAIN Riga - 6th
    Yasmin SIRAJ Riga - 5th
    Courtney HICKS Brisbane
    Vanessa LAM Brisbane
    Samantha CESARIO Gdansk
    Lauren DINH Gdansk
    McKinzie DANIELS Brasov
    (Provisional - Siraj) Brasov (she will lose this, sadly)
    Katarina KULGEYKO Innsbruck (is she still injured?)
    (Provisional - Hicks) Innsbruck (if she medals, she'll keep this)

Unnassigned subs:
    Kiri BAGA (Not on Sub list since Riga; not ready to compete?)
    Polina EDMUNDS (on sub list since Riga)
    Angela WANG (On sub list since Brisbane)
    Hannah MILLER (On sub list since Brasov)

vCash
    With Siraj not meriting a second assignment, I agree with toddj that Edmunds is the likely replacement. I can't see USFS giving Lam that assignment even if she medals in Australia. That would be a ton of travel in a very short time frame: US to Australia, back to the US for a week, and then to Europe. So Edmunds or Miller, it is. It would have been a great chance to send Keiser or Gold. Too bad they're not on the substitute list for the Brasov JGP. In fact, too bad they're not yet subs for any JGP. Please tell me that USFS will at least list Keiser and Gold as substitutes for the last two JGPs.

vCash
    it seems that USFSA has eigher removed all JGP assignments for Austria or they never published them.

They have also removed Siraj from Romania.

Looking at the Ladies Results page
    http://www.isuresults.com/events/jgp2011/jgpsladies.htm

there are a few new subsittutes listed for Italy, namely
    Haley DUNNE, Gracie GOLD and Leah KEISER

Title-less
    vCash
    B. Long should be on the subs list too. JMHO

I'd pick Miller instead of going down the jr ladies list at nationals...

vCash
    I'm thinking the next person to add to the sub list would be Nina Jiang? Or Barbie Long and Mariah Bell, judging from the way they are doing things. Happy for Gracie and Leah to be added as substitutes, but surprised they were listed before Nina just judging from the way USFSA has been doing things thus far.

vCash
    I'm thinking the next person to add to the sub list would be Nina Jiang? Or Barbie Long and Mariah Bell, judging from the way they are doing things. Happy for Gracie and Leah to be added as substitutes, but surprised they were listed before Nina just judging from the way USFSA has been doing things thus far.
    Maybe they took our FSU poll into account, where Keiser, Gold, and Cesario were far ahead of everyone else. Hannah Miller and Nina Jiang were a ways back in 4th and 5th....Long behind that, and Bell's scores this summer while solid haven't been in range to merit anything above those others. I think USFS is looking at top 6/7 at Nationals in Jr., top 15 or so in seniors, and then after that, maybe novice champion and high achieving summers scorers. It looks like they may be more interested in high scoring summer skaters than 7-10 in Jr or 2-4 in novice, which makes sense. If those 7-10 skaters were scoring like Keiser and Gold this summer, they'd definitely get priority though. Then again, Leah and Gracie haven't actually been assigned to anything yet, so we will see where things go...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandra_persch View Post
    it seems that USFSA has eigher removed all JGP assignments for Austria or they never published them.

They have also removed Siraj from Romania.
    Are you referring to USFS' International Assignments page? They haven't published any of their Austria assignments yet (they usually wait until after the initial roster goes up on the ISU site) and they only listed the confirmed (not provisional) JGP assignments for Romania -- Choate, Omori, Daniels, Hawayek/Bramante.

Looking at the Ladies Results page
    http://www.isuresults.com/events/jgp2011/jgpsladies.htm

there are a few new subsittutes listed for Italy, namely
    Haley DUNNE, Gracie GOLD and Leah KEISER
    Thanks for the link! Siraj (ROU), Hicks and Kulgeyko (AUT), and Cesario and Dinh (ITA) are the provisional US ladies assignments. Glad to see both Gold and Keiser added as new alternates along with with Dunne (J8) who placed ahead of Nina Jiang (J9) at Nationals. Jiang has had stronger summer competition performances at the Senior level (notably her Skate Detroit win that included two 90+ free skate scores and at least one successful 3Lz) than Dunne overall, but Dunne put up respectable scores recently at Moran Memorial (47.88 SP, 88.77 FS, 136.65 total).

ETA: I agree with others' assessments above that Polina Edmunds (J7) is most likely next on the assignment list. Her most recent competition was last week's Skate San Francisco (42.88 SP, 90.19 FS, 133.07 total) and she landed 6 of 7 triples in her FS there (3T+3T<, 3Lz, 3F, 3Lo+2T+2Lo, 3S+2T, 2A, 3S).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-03-2011 at 02:08 PM.

vCash
    Maybe the Latvia results were an eye opener. I love Cain's skating to death, but I would have chosen a few people ahead of her based on what we've seen so far this summer.

Anyway, I'm very happy Gracie and Leah have been added to the list.

I'm sad for Siraj that her JGP season is over so quickly. This was a tough field in Latvia, but she needs to get those triple jumps more consistent. Does this mean she'll have to go through Regionals and Sectionals now?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I'm sad for Siraj that her JGP season is over so quickly. This was a tough field in Latvia, but she needs to get those triple jumps more consistent. Does this mean she'll have to go through Regionals and Sectionals now?
    New England regional byes would be JGP Romania, Austria and Italy based on the dates. If she isn't assigned to one of those events, she would have to go through qualifying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Maybe the Latvia results were an eye opener.
    But it's more than likely that the latest JGP substitute names for Italy were submitted to the ISU before Latvia started.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    New England regional byes would be JGP Romania, Austria and Italy based on the dates.
    In the past few years, being assigned to a second JGP gave a U.S. singles skaters an automatic bye through their respective Regionals, no matter what the dates. I haven't heard if this will be the case again this year, however.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    In the past few years, being assigned to a second JGP gave a U.S. singles skaters an automatic bye through their respective Regionals, no matter what the dates. I haven't heard if this will be the case again this year, however.
    I looked up rule 2473 and there's no mention of this for the current season.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast