Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by her grace View Post
    Using qualifying to nationals as such a heavy factor in deciding who gets a JGP frustrates me. It would be one thing if qualifying to nationals was done more like gymnastics where all the good athletes are there; it's quite another thing when some of the best skaters are left home each year because their section was a bloodbath. Coasts last season was insane! And Mids had five really great skaters with only four spots. Easterns not so much.

I do think athletes should be rewarded for doing well at nationals. If you finish in the top three in juniors or the top ten in seniors, you deserve to get the first shot at a JGP. I'm okay with all the initial assignments, i.e., the first seven, being given based on national results. But after those assignments have been given, I would give any additional assignments to skates based primarily on summer results. I wouldn't say J6 is more deserving than J7 or Mids5 simply because of nationals. Send the skaters who are skating the best now . . . not months ago.
    I'm thinking more of H. Miller and B. Long who both did very well at nationals and in the summer. I won't gripe if they send Jiang ahead of Keiser, but I understand there are arguments for and against either.
    Last edited by jlai; 07-26-2011 at 03:11 AM.

vCash
    USFSA just tweeted that Leah Keiser, Gracie Gold, Barbie Long, Mariah Bell, and Jay Yostanto have been added to the ISP. Of course, this doesn't mean they will actually get assignments, but I would think if the USFSA is going to the trouble of adding them, they've got something in mind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    USFSA just tweeted that Leah Keiser, Gracie Gold, Barbie Long, Mariah Bell, and Jay Yostanto have been added to the ISP. Of course, this doesn't mean they will actually get assignments, but I would think if the USFSA is going to the trouble of adding them, they've got something in mind.

vCash
    Was thrilled to read that!

vCash
    Awesome.

I hope Gold does end up with an assignment. With the way she's been skating, she deserves it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    GREAT news!!!

vCash
    You have wonder with all this talent from Novice to Senior why the US can't get on the podium at Worlds? Even Japan doesn't have this many girls this good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    You have wonder with all this talent from Novice to Senior why the US can't get on the podium at Worlds?
    Because success on the JGP/the junior international level does not guarantee success at the senior international level.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-27-2011 at 12:15 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I'm thinking more of H. Miller and B. Long who both did very well at nationals and in the summer. I won't gripe if they send Jiang ahead of Keiser, but I understand there are arguments for and against either.
    Based on what they did last season, the novice medalists (and I assume those who didn't make nats) will probably be last in line for assignments. When you consider that Gong (S16), Cesario (S14), Lam (J9), and Wang (J7) were all given assignments after skating well in summer competitions despite their less than compelling performances at 2010 nationals, I wouldn't be surprised if Jiang and Edmunds are given assignments over/before Long, Miller, Keiser, Gold, etc. Nationals placement doesn't seem to be too big of a factor, unless you medal in junior, in which case you're pretty much garaunteed an initial assignment regardless of how you skate in the summer (Lindsay Davis last year). Beyond that, I think it's mostly based on summer results, although not making nationals and competing at the novice level seems to put you at a disadvantage to those who qualified for and competed at the junior or senior level at nationals and just did not have great results there. Also Nina and Samantha both competed on the JGP last season and had decent results there, and considering Samantha skated REALLY well at Liberty and Nina's doing 3 lutzes and scored 93+ for her FS twice at Skate Detroit, I sort of think they are both going to get assignments, and maybe before someone like Kiri Baga or McKinzie Daniels.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Because success on the JGP/the junior international level does not guarantee success at the senior international level.
    Puberty. Injuries. Changing one's life goals. Financial issues (figure skating reportedly being one of the most expensive sports).

vCash
    The first part of this article talks about Leah Keiser, Gracie Gold, Barbie Long, Mariah Bell, and Jay Yostanto being added to the ISP and gives an overview of USFS' JGP selection process: Notebook: U.S. ladies vie for scarce JGP slots (the end of the article is about Kylie Duarte/Colin Grafton's very strong start to their season).

vCash
    Initial entries for the first JGP in Riga, Latvia are published on the ISU site and I've started a new thread in the Kiss and Cry forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79683

Team USA's entries are (2011 Nationals placement included):
    Yasmin Siraj (S8), Katarina Kulgeyko (J3); Emmanuel Savary (J5), Timothy Dolensky; Duarte/Grafton (J7), Denney/Frazier, Oltmanns/Santillan (J11) in pairs; Aldridge/Eaton (J5), Gamelin/Gamelin (J7) in dance.

Alternates listed are (in alphabetical order by discipline):
    Jason Brown (S9), Joshua Farris (S21), Shotaro Omori (J9), David Wang (J7), Philip Warren (J6);
    Kiri Baga, Ashley Cain (J6), Samantha Cesario, McKinzie Daniels (J4), Lauren Dinh (J2), Courtney Hicks (J1), Vanessa Lam (S7);
    Madeline AARON / Max SETTLAGE (N1), Morgan AGSTER / Adam CIVIELLO, Audrey GOLDBERG / Joseph DOLKIEWICZ (N3), Alexandria SHAUGNESSY / James MORGAN (N5), Britney SIMPSON / Matthew BLACKMER;
    Lauri BONACORSI / Travis MAGER (J2), Madeline HERITAGE / Nathaniel FAST (J8), Jessica MANCINI / Tyler BROOKS (N2), Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS (N1), Joylyn YANG / Jean-Luc BAKER (J6)

vCash
    Interesting that MB Marley isn't on the subs list but Cain (who she beat at nationals) is. I wonder if this means she'll be concentrating on pairs this season.

Also, where is Harrison Choate (who won Gardena Spring ahead of Warren and Omori) on the subs list?

vCash
    Sad not to see Gold and Long even considered. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Interesting that MB Marley isn't on the subs list but Cain (who she beat at nationals) is. I wonder if this means she'll be concentrating on pairs this season.
    I'm sure that's the reason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Gold, Keiser, Long, Bell and Yostanto were only just recently added to the ISP. USFS usually will add a few more new names as alternates in later JGP event rosters.

Also, where is Harrison Choate (who won Gardena Spring ahead of Warren and Omori) on the subs list?
    It's likely that Choate was originally a men's entry for Latvia (he and Siraj share coaches) and that Tim Dolensky was added as an alternate. Choate was dealing with an ankle injury at Liberty, IIRC.

vCash
    Has he aged out of JGP eligible status?

Sad not to see Gold and Long even considered :/
    I know, especially the former.

You never know, she could be assigned, but it doesn't look too likely at this point. Hopefully she can pull off an Agnes Zawadzki circa 2010.

vCash
    Both are being considered for JGP assignments. That does not necessarily mean either lady will get one, but both are being considered.

vCash
    If you read the article I linked above ("Notebook: U.S. ladies vie for scarce JGP slots"), here's a quote from USFS' International Committee Chair:
    "Certainly there are skaters who had tough sectional events and/or injuries last season and we have identified and followed their progress this summer," Williams said. "Any skater listed on the ISP, for all intents and purposes, has an equal opportunity to be selected for a JGP or senior B international based on age eligibility."

vCash
    Possibly. Or maybe they just listed their first 7 alternates alphabetically by last name and hers starting with an M doesn't make the cut. :p It is kinda funny how of the US junior ladies, so many of them are in the first half of the alphabet....only Siraj and potentially Wang in the N-Z range.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    It's likely that Choate was originally a men's entry for Latvia (he and Siraj share coaches) and that Tim Dolensky was added as an alternate. Choate was dealing with an ankle injury at Liberty, IIRC.
    Thanks, Sylvia. That would certainly make a lot of sense! Hopefully he heals soon and well so that he can earn one of the later assignments (Romania or Austria, for example).

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast