Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash

Accents and hotness

I had a girls' night on Sunday and, as oft happens when we get together and have a couple of glasses of wine, the conversation turned to the shallow and superficial. One topic of discussion was which accents make a guy seem more attractive, and which ones less so.

The list we came up with:

Accents with a positive effect on attractiveness: Scottish, Irish, Spanish, Italian, any Scandanavian, Aussie, Kiwi, middle- or upper-class English

Accents that make an attractive man more attractive, and an unattractive man less attractive: French, German, Russian, Scouser, Manchunian, Geordie, Middle Eastern

Accents that have a negative effect on hotness: Newfie, hoser, southern US, New England, Bronx/Brooklin/Queens etc., cockney, Cornish

Neutral/no pattern: all Asian, Indian, South African

Thoughts?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I had a girls' night on Sunday and, as oft happens when we get together and have a couple of glasses of wine, the conversation turned to the shallow and superficial. One topic of discussion was which accents make a guy seem more attractive, and which ones less so.

The list we came up with:

Accents with a positive effect on attractiveness: Scottish, Irish, Spanish, Italian, any Scandanavian, Aussie, Kiwi, middle- or upper-class English

Accents that make an attractive man more attractive, and an unattractive man less attractive: French, German, Russian, Scouser, Manchunian, Geordie, Middle Eastern

Accents that have a negative effect on hotness: Newfie, hoser, southern US, New England, Bronx/Brooklin/Queens etc., cockney, Cornish

Neutral/no pattern: all Asian, Indian, South African

Thoughts?

Your accent categories are a little broad. For instance, there is no such thing as a New England accent. I'm from Western Mass. and have a very identifiable and totally different accent than someone from Boston or someone from Maine.

As to hotness, I have no opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Your accent categories are a little broad. For instance, there is no such thing as a New England accent. I'm from Western Mass. and have a very identifiable and totally different accent than someone from Boston or someone from Maine.
    Yes there are obvious ranges within most of these categories. There are many different Scottish accents, as just one example. But we were unanimous in our opinion that all New England accents -- Bostonian, Maine, Vermont, etc. -- had the same negative effect on hotness. And all Scottish accents had a positive rating.

But seriously, are you going to get that picky about such a superficial subject?

vCash
    I don't think a cute accent makes an unattractive men less atractive. If anything it's bonus point that could offset his "unattractiveness".

I love all European accent and anyone from Down Under .

Alissa Fan Forever
    vCash
    When I hear an Aussie accent, I lose control of all reasoning.

vCash
    For me, it's Aussie, English, and Scottish. Of any kind, really... I think they enhance attractiveness. I don't even know why.

I want Gerard Butler and Henry Cavill to record the dictionary together, so I can listen to it all the time.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    For me, it's Aussie, English, and Scottish. Of any kind, really... I think they enhance attractiveness. I don't even know why.

I want Gerard Butler and Henry Cavill to record the dictionary together, so I can listen to it all the time.
    Visions of Gerard Butler in my mind now....yum. Yum yum yum.....

vCash
    Brazilian and Portuguese.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Jersey.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySlore View Post
    Jersey.
    Um, hot or not? Dare I ask?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I don't think a cute accent makes an unattractive men less atractive. If anything it's bonus point that could offset his "unattractiveness".
    It was only for those particular accents. For example: cute guy with Russian accent is extra cute ... but sleezy gangster/pimp type is even less attractive when he has a Russian accent.

Did I mention wine was involved?

vCash
    Um, hot or not? Dare I ask?
    At your own risk

For more serious answer, I always found Aussie ladies incredibly attractive.
    Elle MacPherson

vCash
    I really like new castle and scottish accent.

I can't stand Chinese/vietnamese accent or their language.. sounds like they are mad.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post

I can't stand Chinese/vietnamese accent or their language.. sounds like they are mad.
    Well, there goes your invitation to the next family gathering. :p
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Well for me Irish or Scottish.

There is a young French guy who works for my company who has a gorgeous accent. I only get to see him occaisionally. Got to dance with him at the Christmas party.

I can't believe that people find the Aussie accent attractive. Yes I know I am one of them. Although it depends if they are bogans or not. There was a great documentary about the development of the Australian accent because we do have so many different kinds.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Visions of Gerard Butler in my mind now....yum. Yum yum yum.....
    Oh, yeah. You have good taste! (My mom makes fun of me. "He's almost 17 years older than you!" "So? YOU think he's hot." "Yes, but I'm almost 62, I can be a cougar." )

AW, I had a co-worker from Adelaide and I thought his accent was just darling. Attractive, but more on the cute side.

vCash

OMG, the Boston accent is :so hot: Have you seen/heard Mark Wahlberg? :fans self: Not as a young cocky baaahstuhd, mind. But as an older, confident actor: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1188&bih=614

Or my goodness, Matt Damon:
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CCUQ9QEwAQ

I mean, not that I'm biased or anything being from Boston myself
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    I wish Gerard Butler would use his actual accent more often in films. It's a real shame!

vCash
    Hot-European. Latin
    Semi-hot-Aussie, Kiwi
    Neutral-Middle Eastern, African, Western US
    Semi-neutral-Asian, except Southeast Asian, Cantonese, Eastern US
    Not Hot-Vietnamese, Cantonese, Cambodian, Filipino, Laotian, Thai, Southern, Midwest US

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Well for me Irish or Scottish.
    Me too. Big soft spot for those.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast