Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    following Eden around to the place where we're the only ones who think what we think
    vCash
    gen, did you see The King's Speech yet? I saw it last night with a bunch of people and we were all surprised by how much we liked it. I was sure I'd like Colin Firth because I know he has the chops to pull off a compelling performance(same for Geoffrey Rush-- I thought this might be a throw-away role for Helena Bonham-Carter... loved her), but I didn't think I'd like the actual film. Though it is paced so slowly, I felt fully invested in the story from beginning to end.

I hope you like it, too!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyGray View Post
    Though it is paced so slowly, I felt fully invested in the story from beginning to end.
    Yes -- I loved the way it built and built to the finish. Wonderful storytelling.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Crashing Nancy Kerrigan's float in the Disney Parade
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Aronofsky's films deal with some disturbing, uncommercial stuff, and sometimes I think that turns off AA voters. Now, I thought Ellyn Burstyn was AMAZING in Requiem for a Dream, certainly better than Julia Roberts in Erin Brockovich (dishwater dull movie, despite the presence of Aaron Eckhart). Ellen was absolutely heartbreaking, and her breakdown scenes were not for the squeamish. As a matter of fact, too many scenes in the film made me cringe they were so powerful. I've watched the latter film twice, and think it belongs on Lifetime, starring Connie Selleca or some other mediocre TV actress.
    IMHO Julia Roberts is a mediocre TV "actress" underneath it all.

I know a place...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    All of the performances are excellent, and I don't think that Wayne's Cogburn was any better than Bridges. Of course I'm one of those that thinks that Wayne should have won his Oscar for The Shootist. Damon and Steinfeld were much better in their roles and of course, the Coen's are masterful at casting the other supporting players, as always.
    That's interesting. While I do agree Wayne was better in The Shootist than he was in True Grit. I've always thought that he should have won for The Searchers.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Absolutely. I went on a cursing streak like a sailer who was rolled outside a bar in Tijuana when Princess Gwyneth won . Again, JMO, but I think her win had more to do with her pedigree in Hollywood than her acting talent. No fecking way should she have won over the field she was up against.
    Once again, Cyn, you make too much sense. I always thought that both Cate Blanchett and Emily Watson were exceedingly more deserving and are much better actresses in general. I had stopped taking the Oscars seriously a long time ago but am able to predict correctly on occasion. For instance, as remember thinking Sean Penn would get an Oscar for Milk and he did, deservedly so.

This year I haven't seen any of the nominated films excepting The Social Network. I need to get out more.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    After my weekend DVD viewings, I have to say I'm disappointed The Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole didn't get a nomination for best animated film. It's a bit uneven in the story, but no more so than some past noms -- but visually I think it's the most beautiful animated film I've ever seen.

The fact that it wasn't made in Hollywood could have something to do with it -- but then again, The Illusionist got a nom.

With only 3 nominations in this category, it's a pity they couldn't have looked a little wider. (Without nominating Despicable Me, which was lame.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    James Franco continues to me. The day before he hosts his first Oscar ceremony(/ attends his first Oscars as Lead Actor nominee), he'll have returned to his scene-chewing serial killer role at General Hospital. And, oh, he hopes to be hosting the Daytime Emmys a couple of months after said Oscars.
    Not but, have you seen Howl? (Don't worry if you haven't, few have!) It's not a perfect film by any means, but Franco's performance was another great one. Based on what I've seen of him so far, I don't think there's anything that's outside his range.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    IMHO Julia Roberts is a mediocre TV "actress" underneath it all.
    Pretty much. She has made some good films, but she's not outstanding.

vCash
    Count me as another who found it practically obscene that Gwynnie beat both Cate and Emily at the Oscars, and with such a vanilla performance! Cate in Elizabeth and Emily in Hilary & Jackie were both really outstanding that year, and Fernanda Montenegro was no slouch either. I find Gwyneth's off-screen personality rather arch and fake, too, so I'm not exactly shedding tears that her career doesn't seem to be doing so hot at the moment.

IMO, the Oscars can be hopelessly wrong at times but they do sometimes hit it out of the park such as when Marion Cotillard won for La Vie en Rose. This year they've stymied me once again by heaping such love on Inception, which I found utterly forgettable. On the whole, I find Chris Nolan extremely overrated.

vCash
    Just for the heck of it, and because work is super boring today, I was looking up Oscar winners from my lifetime. Of the 35 of them, I've seen 10. And there's not one of those that I loved as much as I love The King's Speech, which means this is shaping up to be the most exciting Oscars ever for me. The closest so far has been Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. (Yeah, I'm lowbrow.)

ETA: No, I'm wrong, it was 34. I don't think I'd been born yet when they handed out the '75 awards!

(There are plenty of winners that I loved from before I was born, though!)
    Last edited by Wyliefan; 01-31-2011 at 08:01 PM.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    Count me as another who found it practically obscene that Gwynnie beat both Cate and Emily at the Oscars, and with such a vanilla performance! Cate in Elizabeth and Emily in Hilary & Jackie were both really outstanding that year, and Fernanda Montenegro was no slouch either. I find Gwyneth's off-screen personality rather arch and fake, too, so I'm not exactly shedding tears that her career doesn't seem to be doing so hot at the moment.
    Gwynnie's parents, especially her late dad, were very well-liked by the high-rollers in Hollywood. But they raised a monster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    IMO, the Oscars can be hopelessly wrong at times but they do sometimes hit it out of the park such as when Marion Cotillard won for La Vie en Rose.
    I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on that one. I found Cotillard's performance to be terribly mannered -- imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but it's not the most impressive indication of acting talent in my book. She wasn't terrible by any means, but I would have picked Julie Christie or Laura Linney that year over Cotillard, hands down.

However the Academy seems to be frequently impressed by "realistic" mimickry of real-life people.

Blergh
    vCash
    I loved Cotillard, but I also preferred Julie Christie in Away from Her. I just wish her part was a bit bigger. It was on the borderline of being a supporting part. I thought the actor who played her husband was equally as good as her.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on that one. I found Cotillard's performance to be terribly mannered -- imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but it's not the most impressive indication of acting talent in my book. She wasn't terrible by any means, but I would have picked Julie Christie or Laura Linney that year over Cotillard, hands down.

However the Academy seems to be frequently impressed by "realistic" mimickry of real-life people.
    I can see how her performance might have come across like that to some, but I thought she ultimately did a fine job and what with all that make-up caked on her and the lip-synching she had to do. Cotillard was a bit fulsome at times, but Piaf was supposed to have been a rather extreme personality so I suppose it was called for. I actually wasn't sure how I felt about Cotillard's performance whilst I was watching the movie, but by the end I was thoroughly moved so she must've done her job.

I've found Cotillard quite unimpressive in the films I've seen her in since LVeR, so perhaps it's good that she won the one Oscar that she'll only ever be nominated for. I still haven't seen Christie in Away from Her (would like to), and I thought that Linney, while good, was a bit colorless in comparison to Cotillard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I thought the actor who played her husband (in Away from Her) was equally as good as her.
    LOL, I can tell you're not Canadian -- that was Gordon Pinsent, who is a Candian acting giant, probably second only to Christopher Plummer in renown. But Pinsent not nearly as well-known outside Canada because he rarely if ever takes non-Canadian roles.

But yes, he too should have had best acting nomination that year -- he was miles and away better than Tommy Lee Jones at the very least. Not that he would have won against Daniel Day-Lewis, but he should have had the honour of the nom.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I do think that in some cases, the Academy has honored a decent number of African American actresses when they got Oscar worthy material. For instance, Viola Davis was in Doubt for about 10 minutes, but was fabulous and got nominated.
    I see that Davis has been cast as Aibileen in the upcoming film adaptation of The Help. It's a rich role, and if the film is anywhere near as good as the book there could be more than one Oscar nomination coming ...

I do agree that the Academy does seem to go out of its way to recognize performances by African American actors, no matter how slim the pickings might be. But it just underscores the point that there aren't enough good roles written -- or cast. As an example, I just saw Seven Pounds this weekend (I know, I know, not exactly a new release!). I thought Will Smith's performance was excellent, but the really interesting for me was that it was a part that was "raceless" -- there was absolutely nothing about the story that required the character to be black, white, or anything else. If more casting directors, directors, and producers would be as colour-blind and open minded, I think we'd see more diversity on the big screen. (Another great example is Morgan Freeman in The Shawshank Redemption -- and in fact that part as written in the novella was decidedly not black!)

vCash
    I loved Cotillard, but I also preferred Julie Christie in Away from Her. I just wish her part was a bit bigger. It was on the borderline of being a supporting part. I thought the actor who played her husband was equally as good as her.
    Totally agree. Christie was subtle in her performance and it was lovely.
    I had not thought that it might be considered more supporting - good point. I liked Cotillard's performance, more than I liked the movie. I was bummed for Christie.

vCash
    I've loved Julie ever since I saw her Oscar-winning performance in Darling. She's superb in everything she does. I was also over her in Afterglow.

INTJ
    vCash
    I <3 Gordon Pinsent
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

vCash
    Pinsent starred in The Rowdyman based on a book that he wrote. He is a very talented individual.

And back in the day, easy on the eyes.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast