Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    I have seen The King's Speech, True Grit and Black Swan. I think I am going to the Fighter tonight. Is it a good movie?
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I'd love to know what he was thinking when he signed up to do a soap - and then really enjoys it! Great to see some actors aren't total snobs.
    He's said it's actually helped him in movie roles because for soaps you have to memorize long scripts very very quickly.

Yeah, Franco is awesome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Yeah, Franco is awesome.
    Yes he is

I'm very about Chris Nolan not getting a nomination at all. I would have thought Marion Cotillard deserved a nomination as well, she was fab as Mal. Overall I just loved Inception, innit?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    I have seen The King's Speech, True Grit and Black Swan. I think I am going to the Fighter tonight. Is it a good movie?
    My boss has done nothing but rave about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    I thought Million Dollar Baby was overrated and awful. Anybody should have been able to beat Swank, but I think the Academy went with the 'safe' choice because the field was so loaded. As big a wuzrobbed as Bening was for Being Julia, there was also Imelda Staunton for Vera Drake and the girl who was Maria in Maria Full of Grace. Apologies to the fifth nominee; I don't remember who that was. In any case, this particular field was very strong.
    The fifth nominee was Kate Winslet for Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind. She was my personal favorite that year. I thought Catalina Sandino Moreno for Maria Full of Grace was clearly the weakest of the nominees. I have no problem with Hillary Swank winning for both roles. I think you could make a case for any of those women winning for the Million Dollar Baby year. I was hoping Swank might've pulled off an Oscar nod just to see her and Annette Benning compete against each other again (with Benning winning). That said, I think Natalie Portman definitely deserves it between the two.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 01-25-2011 at 09:49 PM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I enjoyed The Fighter tremendously. Every performance in the film is first rate, particularly Melissa Leo and Amy Adams. I've over the moon for David O'Russell to get nominated for Best Director.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    I admit that The Fighter is not really the type of movie I enjoy (it's a boxer movie), but the performances are top notch and the movie is well made. I have been raving over Christian Bale's performance ever since I saw this movie.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Michalle View Post
    Wasn't Melissa Leo fired from BOTH The Young Riders and Homicide for not being "hot" enough? First of all, she was totally hot in Homicide (didn't like how they dressed her in The Young Riders though) and also, she was as awesome then as she is now. I hope the morons who made those decisions feel like total idiots now that she's picked up Oscar Nomination #2...
    Don't know about TYR, but IIRC you are about Homicide. I loved that show and it was when decisions such as this happened is when it started to go downhill. A pity too.

I know that Criminal Minds isn't everyone's cup of tea, but she did her usual outstanding job on an episode back during the Second Season as one of the main Guest Stars for that one. It was great to see her again and I'm beyond thrilled she's been nominated again for an Oscar!!!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I love Annette Benning but I don't think her performance in TKAAR is worthy of an Oscar. I felt Portman was much stronger, despite what you may think of the film. I think Portman might be robbed because the voters see her as young and having many more chances. If they would just give the awards on who earned it that year then the truly strong actors and actresses will eventually win. If someone is always up against a career defining role then so be it, maybe you will get a lifetime achievement award later.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I was a huge Homicide fan (loved Kyle Secor and Andre Braugher particularly), and remember Leo's departure merely as "not being picked up after her current contract ended." Of course it was a long time ago. Fired for not being sexy? Leo took such pride in not bending to play "sexy" - maybe it backfired on her? With a large cast to write/invent storires for, maybe Homicide PTB decided that keeping an actress who would not do sexy scenes and such was too limiting? Especially when a series gets long in the tooth, it needs to branch out the characters ... sometmies into the love life (re: Secor's character coming out as gay - or at least bi - in the final season).

Whatever the history, I'm glad she's got another Oscar nom, and is this time a real challenger to win it! Outstanding actress.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I love Annette Benning but I don't think her performance in TKAAR is worthy of an Oscar. I felt Portman was much stronger, despite what you may think of the film. I think Portman might be robbed because the voters see her as young and having many more chances. If they would just give the awards on who earned it that year then the truly strong actors and actresses will eventually win. If someone is always up against a career defining role then so be it, maybe you will get a lifetime achievement award later.
    I don't think Natalie would be denied. She is 29, and has been in the movies since she was 12 (?). Remember Gwyneth Paltrow winning the Oscar at 26? Gwyneth in SIL was nowhere as good as Natalie in TBS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I don't think Natalie would be denied. She is 29, and has been in the movies since she was 12 (?). Remember Gwyneth Paltrow winning the Oscar at 26? Gwyneth in SIL was nowhere as good as Natalie in TBS.
    Yes, I remember! I thought that Cate Blanchett wuz robbed that year! At least I thought she deserved the Best Actress for portraying Elizabeth I more than Gwyneth did for her role in SIL -- and so did Emily Watson as Jacqueline du Pré.

vCash
    Disappointed that Nolan wasn't nominated. Inception wasn't my favorite film of the year, but he definitely deserved a nomination.

I'm not a big fan of The King's Speech, but it is typical, safe Oscar-bait and will probably win most of its categories. Rooting for Black Swan and Toy Story 3.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Yes, I remember! I thought that Cate Blanchett wuz robbed that year! At least I thought she deserved the Best Actress for portraying Elizabeth I more than Gwyneth did for her role in SIL -- and so did Emily Watson as Jacqueline du Pré.
    That was not a good year! Best actor should have gone to either Ian McKellan or Ed Norton, or basically anyone except Roberto Benigni-playing-himself. And although it was nice for Judi Dench to get supporting actress, it was only because she wuz robbed the previous year (Mrs Brown) -- and the supporting Oscar that year should have gone to Kathy Bates or Rachel Griffiths or Lyn Redgrave.

vCash
    Jumping in to give a big to John Powell for getting a Best Score nomination for How to Train your Dragon. I saw the film last month and was blown away by the film score.

Can't believe he was overlooked by the Golden Globes, so it's nice to see him recognized here. Hope he wins!

Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I think Joan Rivers knew long before-hand that her documentary wasn't going to get nominated.
    It's a shame, because it was an excellent documentary. Should've been nominated imo.

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Has anyone seen Exit Through the Gift Shop? It is nominated for Best Documentary. I am a little worried because this documentary has been heavily criticized as not being real.
    Well, many could argue that all documentaries are somewhat a fiction in one way or another. Directors/editors take the footage they shoot and construct a linear narrative from that, which is filtered through their own agenda/biases. Nothing is truly "real."

ETTGS might've been staged, but I think the overarching narrative of the film still raises provacative questions and statements about the commodification and branding of art/artists and how, in most cases, it has very little to do with actual merit.

A lot of people I know interpreted the film as strictly a documentary on street/urban art culture, and on that level it probably fails as a conventional documentary; but I don't think that was the intent of it at all. I think the film is making a broader meta statement about the art world in general through the documentation of "Mr. Brainwash's" rapid (and seemingly inexplicable) ascent in the art market.

I think the whole film was Banksy's way of pointing out the arbitrariness of his own fame and monetary value as an artist, while simultaneously making tons of money off the establishment he's seemingly criticizing.

Kinda brilliant if you ask me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Cate Blanchett was totally robbed that year.

Judi Dench should have won for lead actress the previous year, instead of getting a supporting actress for what was practically a cameo role in SIL.

To top it all, Saving Private Ryan was head and shoulders over any other movie that year, but SIL won for best picture.

That was a very bad Oscar year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Yes, but Gwyneth's studio had, er, um, a lot more to do with her winning the Oscar than the quality of her actual performance in the film.
    http://www.film.com/features/story/b...bying/26213380

That being said, Portman certainly seems to be getting the big push too....
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Shall we pray for a strong wind that night?
    You have a very dirty mind.

I like it!!

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    I really liked the Fighter! I wasn't sure I would like it because I am not into boxing but it was great!
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    BTW, Javier Bardem became a father today, too!

Penélope Cruz y Javier Bardem ya son padres! Según el diario El País, el bebé nació hoy, 25 de enero en Los Ángeles, el mismo día que Javier fue nominado para un Oscar como mejor actor por su actuación en “Biutiful”.
    http://wonderwall.latino.msn.com/mov...m-9103.gallery

Little info on the niño or niña yet.

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/gente...lpepuage_1/Tes

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast