Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Actually, I'm a little surprised Steinfeld is in Supporting. If this True Grit is anything like the first True Grit, Mattie has an awful lot of screentime.
    It's the same with Rush in The King's Speech, even more so. But that happens all the time: there's an almost universal unwritten rule that only 1 "lead" actor is allowed per film, so no matter how big the other parts are, they're "supporting." A bit unfair on some of the other noms who really were "supporting," but there you go.

In the case of The King's Speech, though, I'm glad it happened that way, as both Firth & Rush deserve to win and the only way that can happen is if they're in different categories.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Am THRILLED for Melissa Leo!!! Would love to see her win it.

Happy for The King's Speech and delighted for Colin.

My favourite nom though just for the potential pretty in a tux would be Javier Bardem...Ooooh la la!!!

vCash
    I wonder if Franco's Yale classmates will give him applauses when he walks into classes today .

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Has anyone seen Exit Through the Gift Shop? It is nominated for Best Documentary. I am a little worried because this documentary has been heavily criticized as not being real. I don't want to give away anything but many many people feel it was all set up as a huge prank, basically. That is the simple explanation without going into spoiler details. Where do you draw the line between an actual documentary and a film made to look like a documentary (mockumentary as they call them)?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Interesting - a lot of people had pegged Ryan Gosling and Paul Giamatti instead of Javier Bardem and James Franco, but still pretty good choices.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    I haven't seen True Grit, The Fighter or The Social Network. So I can't give you an informed opinion. I think I'll see them before the Oscars, though True Grit for some reason doesn't really appeal to me.
    I thought the original sucked. John Wayne got a career Oscar. He had the dimension and depth of a stop sign. I am certain Jeff Bridges is much better. I've yet to see a bad Jeff Bridges performance.

I want to see Annette Bening get BA - she got robbed twice.
    I read on a gossip site (by FORCE) that Halle Berry was counting on a nod for Frankie & Alice....didn't happen .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Has anyone seen Exit Through the Gift Shop? It is nominated for Best Documentary. I am a little worried because this documentary has been heavily criticized as not being real. I don't want to give away anything but many many people feel it was all set up as a huge prank, basically. That is the simple explanation without going into spoiler details. Where do you draw the line between an actual documentary and a film made to look like a documentary (mockumentary as they call them)?
    I've been meaning to see it. A friend was trying to set up a viewing for a bunch of us, but she hasn't been able to find a date yet that works for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I thought the original sucked. John Wayne got a career Oscar. He had the dimension and depth of a stop sign.
    Sez you. I think it's an awesome movie and Wayne is awesome in it. The "fill your hands" scene alone was Oscar-worthy. The way he played to his strengths while at the same time playing against his image (the "old fat washed-up gunfighter" now, instead of the iconic cowboy) -- it's not everyone that can do that.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Sez you. I think it's an awesome movie and Wayne is awesome in it. The "fill your hands" scene alone was Oscar-worthy. The way he played to his strengths while at the same time playing against his image (the "old fat washed-up gunfighter" now, instead of the iconic cowboy) -- it's not everyone that can do that.
    Puh-leeze. He was horrid in most of his flicks - and I actually liked films like The Sea Chase and Blood Alley. I thought it was the same part he played in his other cowboy flicks, except he had a gut .

vCash
    I saw it. It's excellent, but I've also heard musings that it could have been entirely staged. I never did hear definitively one way or another, however. I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt that it's authentic, but wouldn't be at all surprised if it was proven otherwise.

Even if it was staged, it is still somewhat of a documentary on the art world and attitudes surrounding it (maybe that's a stretch?).

vCash
    Puh-leeze. He was horrid in most of his flicks
    Was not.

(Obviously, this was destined to degenerate into a "Was not!" "Was too!" fight -- thought I might as well cut to the chase. )
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Was not.

(Obviously, this was destined to degenerate into a "Was not!" "Was too!" fight -- thought I might as well cut to the chase. )
    Um, okay. You have convinced me of the error of my ways....

NOT.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I questioned that one not because of the "not real" controversy but because I didn't think it was a particularly fabulous film. Enjoyable, sure, but hardly the best example of the genre (esp. when there are so many others to choose from).

I wonder if it was political, though. In the past the documentary branch of the Academy had been hugely criticized for ignoring huge documentary films in the past (Thin Blue Line anyone?). In the most recent few years they've swung more toward "popular" docs -- some still deserving of Oscar nominations, some, um, not.

vCash
    Um, okay. You have convinced me of the error of my ways....

NOT.
    Same to you, NOT.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Exit through the Gift Shop is awesome. Even if you aren't an art world follower, there are enough funny/ridiculous events in it to keep you entertained. Personally I would like to see it win just to see if Banksy, Mr. brainwash, or someone else entirely shows up to collect the award

However, it is up against the also very awesome Inside Job, which is a kick-ass documentary about the financial crisis. The take-no-prisoners interviews in this film were some of the best moments I witnessed in a theatre this past year. I would be very happy to see this one win too.

ETA that Inside Job was released by a major studio (Sony) so if there is politicking for the award it may have an advantage.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I want to see Annette Bening get BA - she got robbed twice.
    I love her, hope she gets it--she is due.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Too bad for Chris Nolan, getting snubbed year after year after year.

I am really curious to see whether Annette Bening will win the Oscar. I still think Natalie Portman is ahead. However, considering the Academy passed Annette over for the same actress twice within 5 years (!!), I don't think she's that popular among the Oscar voters. If she doesn't win this time around, I think Annette's best chance for an Oscar may be to just have a strong supporting role in a film and get a supporting actress Oscar as sort of a career achievement award. Actors like Morgan Freeman, Alan Arkin, Cate Blanchett, and Renee Zellweger all were nominated for at least 2-3 Lead Acting Oscars (some were even favored to win those Lead Acting Oscars, such as perhaps Zellweger after she won the SAG award for Chicago), but received one Supporting Acting Oscar as a consolation, career achievement prize.
    Last edited by a56; 01-25-2011 at 07:21 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    It's the same with Rush in The King's Speech, even more so. But that happens all the time: there's an almost universal unwritten rule that only 1 "lead" actor is allowed per film, so no matter how big the other parts are, they're "supporting." A bit unfair on some of the other noms who really were "supporting," but there you go.
    They did this to Tim Robbins for his wonderful performance in The Shawshank Redemption. Morgan Freeman clearly had the supporting role, but go the Best Actor nod...IIRC, Pulp Fiction had similar issues with Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson. Jackson had the meatier role but got a Supporting Actor nod. There are exceptions - like Thelma & Louise and All About Eve are two that I can think of now where both leads were nominated in the Best Actor/Actress category.

Same to you, NOT.
    truce?

Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I love her, hope she gets it--she is due.
    I watched her in Love Affair over the holidays. It is by far the worst version of the three that have been made of this rather dated story (Beatty was godawful). But something about Annette's performance - she was so calm and centered when she could have went totally OTT...she was the saving grace here and in Bugsy. Again, with this Beatty guy .

vCash
    Truce! And here's something we have in common: I don't get Beatty either.

I understand the "one actor is lead, one is supporting" in a situation like the one Firth and Rush are in. But since Steinfeld appears to be the only woman with a major part in True Grit, and therefore not competing with any other actress in her film, it's a little harder to grasp the reasoning.

vCash
    Truce! And here's something we have in common: I don't get Beatty either.
    Oh, he was beautiful back in the day, but I never thought of him as much of an actor. To his credit, he did get the role of the gigolo in The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone by cruising Tennessee Williams in a bar...although Williams was a horny drunk who would have shagged the test pattern on his TV.

Teenage Mutant
    vCash
    I understand the "one actor is lead, one is supporting" in a situation like the one Firth and Rush are in. But since Steinfeld appears to be the only woman with a major part in True Grit, and therefore not competing with any other actress in her film, it's a little harder to grasp the reasoning.
    While she was certainly the lead role in the film, I believe the studio purposefully campaigned her for Supporting in belief that the category would be less competitive.

I find it interesting, and perhaps telling, that we get 10 Best Picture nominees but still only 5 Directing nominees; those nominated for Best Picture and not Directing surely have the least chance. Reminds me of Whoopi's Moulin Rouge comment.
    Sometimes I think I lost something really important to me, and it turns out I already ate it.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast