Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

vCash
    Interesting review of "Black Swan" by Sonia Rodriguez (aka Mrs. Kurt Browning), Principal Dancer with Canada's National Ballet:
    http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...ews-black-swan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    It really isn't like that at all. Do you recall what the scene was?
    It's a little unfair, because it was the second fifteen minutes of the film, so it was definitely out of context - from when the kids meet Ruffalo's character through the (seemingly unending) scene where he came over and ate with the whole family. I don't know that sitcom-y is exactly fair - but all the jokes and characterization felt a bit obvious for me. It might be better though if I had seen it from the beginning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    Julia Roberts winning, IMHO, was worse
    I don't remember a single thing Julia Roberts did in that movie. What I do remember is the look in Cherry Jones' eyes as she comes to her door when Roberts calls on her. Jones stole that scene without saying a word; that was a performance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    I don't remember a single thing Julia Roberts did in that movie. What I do remember is the look in Cherry Jones' eyes as she comes to her door when Roberts calls on her. Jones stole that scene without saying a word; that was a performance.
    Well the gap in talent between Cherry Jones and Julia Roberts is as wide as the Pacific.

I saw Jones in the stage version of Doubt and she was outstanding. It may be the best live theatre performance I've seen.

I thought Julia Roberts was passable in Erin Brockovich. She wasn't good, but she wasn't awful either. What I saw of The Blind Side, Sandra Bullock was okay, but again an okay performance shouldn't be taking home an Oscar. Both Meryl Streep and Carey Mulligan for far better than Bullock. A friend of mine was a sorority sister of Collins Touhy and she felt like Bullock got Leeann Tuohy pretty much right.
    Last edited by Allen; 02-23-2011 at 07:11 PM.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I absolutely agree with you. I only mentioned Halle because she tends to get shat on when people discuss Oscar winners. I would have given the Oscar to Sissy Spacek that year, but I thought out of the 5 nominated actress (Spacek, Judi Dench, Halle Berry, Nicole Kidman, and Renee Zellwegger) Berry was one of the better ones (by far).
    I didn't mind Halle winning; I thought the competition that year was not particularly strong. I can't stand Renee in Bridget Jones and Sissy did not seem to have enough screen time to get a BA nod. I am not enamored of Judi Dench - she pretty much plays the same part in every role - veddy English, veddy prawpah yet feisty (I must admit to enjoying Mrs. Henderson Presents). And I found Moulin Rouge unwatchable and nonsensical. I guess Halle was the best of a rather weak lot for me. Oh, I wish Angela Bassett had taken the role. She'd have done wonders with it. But she turned it down, more's the pity. She was quoted as saying that she found the role degrading. She could have asked for - and gotten - any changes that she requested, I'm sure. She's leagues beyond Halle in terms of ability, and IMO, equal or superior to the other nominees that year.

I think Bale will get the BSA Oscar. It's a nice showy role.

Blergh
    vCash
    When I was watching Christian Bale really fall into his role in The Fighter I think I realized why I can't get into Johnny Depp. Depp gets a lot of credit of transforming himself into the roles, but I find it very inauthentic and he seems to be almost bipolar. He's either his sedate self or very over-the-top and mannered but his acting doesn't seem like it's really coming from anywhere.

Bale, meanwhile, transforms himself but you still see honesty in his performance. I guess what I'm trying to say is that to me, Bale is the actor Depp tries to be.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I think Bale will get the BSA Oscar. It's a nice showy role.
    I haven't seen this movie so I can't comment on his performance, but I think it's too bad that showy roles usually get more respect than understated ones. A good example is Sean Penn in Mystic River He got all the raves and the Oscar, but I thought Kevin Bacon was every bit as good in the same movie.

vCash
    I think I'm the only person in the world who'll be ecstatic if Geoffrey Rush pulls an upset.

Granted, I haven't seen The Fighter yet -- I wanted to but haven't had a chance. But Rush was so amazing in that role, I really believe he'd deserve it if he got it.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Blergh
    vCash
    I think there are a lot of nominees this year where we may prefer someone else to win it, but won't begrudge another nominee if they won it (with a few exceptions of course). It seems that all of the spoilers are people who many would also agree were award-worthy. Again, I think this year is a lot stronger than recent past years.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    I haven't seen this movie so I can't comment on his performance, but I think it's too bad that showy roles usually get more respect than understated ones. A good example is Sean Penn in Mystic River He got all the raves and the Oscar, but I thought Kevin Bacon was every bit as good in the same movie.
    They seem to like addicts, alcoholics and crazy people at Oscar time.

Blergh
    vCash
    I know. I wish someone who played a simple pain-in-the-ass will win one of these days (like Reese Witherspoon in Election).

vCash
    Of course, there are always exceptions. But the showy roles always get noticed, even if they aren't that great.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I think I'm the only person in the world who'll be ecstatic if Geoffrey Rush pulls an upset. Granted, I haven't seen The Fighter yet -- I wanted to but haven't had a chance. But Rush was so amazing in that role, I really believe he'd deserve it if he got it.
    Not the only one -- though I don't think it would be considered an "upset" if he wins. If I were laying odds, I'd say it's almost a 3-way tie between Bale, Ruffalo, and Rush. If Hawkes or Renner won, though, that would be an upset IMO.

vCash
    I think I'm the only person in the world who'll be ecstatic if Geoffrey Rush pulls an upset.

Granted, I haven't seen The Fighter yet -- I wanted to but haven't had a chance. But Rush was so amazing in that role, I really believe he'd deserve it if he got it.
    Nope! I'd be thrilled, too. The catch is that I also haven't seen The Fighter, either, so I could change my mind. I do like Bale as well.

vCash

Rush was very good in TKS and I considered him the favorite to win until I saw The Fighter. Christian Bale is truly amazing in it. I think Bale should win it, but if Rush wins it, I won't be too upset because he was very good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    Not all Oscars are awarded for the performances they're given for. The second that a talented actor with an uneven career makes anything like a decent performance, people fall all over themselves to give them awards. Mystic River was Sean Penn's "time" to win an award. I was just so glad his coattails included Tim Robbins, whom I lurve.

vCash
    Okay, I was wrong about being the only one! I've seen so many people insisting that it should go to Bale that I didn't know if Rush had any support.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I think Bale has the Oscar locked up but Rush would be the first to sneak in for an upset. I don't think there is a tie going in. Just not my gut feeling.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    It would be kind of cool, though. Hepburn/Streisand has been the only acting tie so far, correct?

vCash
    It would be kind of cool, though. Hepburn/Streisand has been the only acting tie so far, correct?
    Only "exact" tie apparently, but under the rules, in 1932 Wallace Beery and Frederic March both won Best Actor. As they were 1 vote apart and the rules were for 3 or less.

I think there have been other non-acting ties, but I don't have time to track them down right now.

Now that they've gone to ranked, who knows...

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast