Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    vCash
    It's a long shot but...Michelle Williams for BA! She was amazing in Blue Valentine.

vCash
    The Grifters was great, and I think truly underrated. It was a great movie and the three leads were amazing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Stay away from Valmont. They take such liberties with the story that it's nothing like it should be. Awful, to say the least.
    But it does have performances by Bening ... and Colin Firth.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    The Grifters was great, and I think truly underrated. It was a great movie and the three leads were amazing.
    I loved The Grifters ... but honestly had forgotten Bening was even in it. All I remember was the amazing, electrifying performances by Huston and Cusack.

I recently saw Mother & Child which, although not a perfect film, is still very watchable; and Bening gave another great performance.

But the Bening film that stands out for me was the first time I really noticed her as an actor: The American President. Sure, a romcom, but a better than average romcom, and she really made it work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    Has anyone seen Valmont? I'm not sure why I have never got round to watching it. But I love the story. And being released in 1989 it must be truly bad but in a really good way.

Les Dangerous Liaisons is considered by many critics to be the much, much better film on the same subject matter. I love Les Dangerous, except for the casting of John Malkovich for the lead male character .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    But it does have performances by Bening ... and Colin Firth.
    It does, but it's not worth sitting through this dreck of a movie to see them. See Dangerous Liaisons (or whatever the anglicized title is) with Close and Malkovich instead. It's a much better movie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Les Dangerous Liaisons is considered by many critics to be the much, much better film on the same subject matter. I love Les Dangerous, except for the casting of John Malkovich for the lead male character .
    But Glenn Close was wonderful as the Marquise. And robbed again, just like she had been the year before in Fatal Attraction (Cher won for that uberboring Moonstruck. And I like Cher, but I thought the movie was stank), this time by the stiff and wooden Jodie Foster for The Accused. What an overrated movie I thought that was. I have never been impressed with Jodie Foster, except for Nell, which was a very different performance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    It does, but it's not worth sitting through this dreck of a movie to see them. See Dangerous Liaisons (or whatever the anglicized title is) with Close and Malkovich instead. It's a much better movie.
    I saw both -- too long ago to have remembered one being horrendous and the other stupendous. I do remember Glenn Close being very, very good -- and Firth looking rather worthy. It seems there are advantages to the selective memory of advancing age.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    But Glenn Close was wonderful as the Marquise. And robbed again...
    Boy was she ever. That has been my favorite performance of hers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    Boy was she ever. That has been my favorite performance of hers.
    I love that movie, especially the ending

Spoiler

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Oh don't you wish they would've cast the "original" Valmont from the Broadway production of Les Liaisons Dangereuses - one Alan Rickman....

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    Oh don't you wish they would've cast the "original" Valmont from the Broadway production of Les Liaisons Dangereuses - one Alan Rickman....
    I was lucky enough to see Rickman in the Stratford production in 1985 (before it moved to The West End and then Broadway). I didn't have terribly great seats, but still enough to

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I was lucky enough to see Rickman in the Stratford production in 1985 (before it moved to The West End and then Broadway). I didn't have terribly great seats, but still enough to
    I hate you. Not really, but you know what I mean.....

Blergh
    vCash
    I finally saw True Grit and I loved it. I'm a fan of the Coen Brothers (I love their most famous films like Fargo and The Big Lebowski and their lesser known ones like A Serious Man), but I wasn't expecting to like True Grit as much as I did. Maybe I was in the mood for a western, albeit one that was filtered through the Coen Brother's lens, or biblical hymns or beautiful cinematography. I like that this film was closer to the Charles Portis novel as well as I believe it really helped with the characterization of Hailee Steinfeld's character.

I'm going to watch The Fighter tomorrow and I need to see The King's Speech and Animal Kingdom in order to fully form my opinion, but I do think that Steinfeld was Oscar-worthy and would love to see her win (even though I'm a huge Melissa Leo fan). Jeff Bridges was fantastic as always, and Matt Damon's Texas ranger character was hilarious. I really wanted Black Swan to win Best Cinematography, but now I'm not sure if it should beat Roger Deakins for True Grit.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    MSN's list of the worst best picture winners.

I agree with several of them, not sure about some cause I'm not sure what else would have won.

And I would definitely have put Crash on that list. Lovely movie, but how it beat Brokeback still mystifies me.

Shakespeare in Love is on there, of course Don't worry. Also, did The English Patient really beat Fargo???

Blergh
    vCash
    That list is utterly stupid on many different levels. I can't trust any list that has The Hurt Locker, No Country for Old Men, and even Shakespeare in Love or calls a year with Fargo and Secrets and Lies weak. I'm sorry that those movies don't fit the generic epic production mold, but I'm glad the Academy can reward films based on substance (in their opinion anyway) over grandiose. I'm confused too. One movie they complain that it's good but didn't feel like a Best Picture because it wasn't epic, and then the next, they criticize the Academy voters' choice for Best Picture assuming they only voted for the movie because it fit the Grand, long epic mold.

About Shakespeare in Love, I know people love to beat up on it because it had Gwyneth Paltrow, had huge Miramax-backed marketing and campaigning, and it's become sort of "common knowledge" that Saving Private Ryan and Cate Blanchet were robbed of their respective Oscars but people forget that Shakespeare in Love, at the time, was arguably the best reviewed movie of the year (while Saving Private Ryan had considerable criticisms by some major critics as pedestrian and its characters were considered to be consisting of generic Spielberg stereotypical character types lacking depth and Elizabeth got some pretty wretched reviews, and IMO, for good reason and this is someone who loves Tudor material). Based on people's reactions regarding that movie, I'm starting to firmly believe that Shakespeare in Love is one of the most underrated movies I've seen despite the award accolades it won back in 1998-1999.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 02-20-2011 at 04:29 PM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post

And I would definitely have put Crash on that list. Lovely movie, but how it beat Brokeback still mystifies me.
    I'd put Crash on the list too. It was not, IMHO, a "lovely" movie; awful is the word that comes to mind for me. It was an over-rated piece of pretentious crap whose whole was definitely not equal to the sum of its parts.

vCash
    I wonder if The Hurt Locker is on there because they believe Avatar should have won, or if No Country For Old Men is on there because they believed There Will Be Blood should have won (a common opinion, it seems, though I would have actually picked Atonement that year)? I'm not really that big a fan of No Country For Old Men, to be honest. I vastly preferred the other two movies and probably would have it on the list. And Fargo is waaaay better than The English Patient so I can understand that choice as well.

I actually love Shakespeare in Love and prefer it to Saving Private Ryan... but I know a lot of people disagree.

Blergh
    vCash
    I understand your point michiruwater, it's just that having a debate about what should have won Best Picture in a particular year and a difference in opinion is much different than declaring a movie one of the "Worst Best Picture" winners. I really think it's crazy that a movie like The Hurt Locker and No Country for Old Men are on that list, especially since that same list says Hurt Locker deserved Best Director. Weird list.

vCash
    That list is an utter pile of crap. I thought There Will Be Bloodwas the better picture, but No Country For Old Menis also an excellent film, not a film deserving of a place on a list of the "worst" best picture winners. The Hurt Lockerisn't one of my favorite films, but it was definitely the best picture of last year, even though I liked other films more. To me, that list should have been "I think another film should have won Best Picture, so I'm going to diss the film that actually won."
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast