Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    James Franco continues to me. The day before he hosts his first Oscar ceremony(/ attends his first Oscars as Lead Actor nominee), he'll have returned to his scene-chewing serial killer role at General Hospital.

And, oh, he hopes to be hosting the Daytime Emmys a couple of months after said Oscars.

Franco 1 / ego 0

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I understand the "one actor is lead, one is supporting" in a situation like the one Firth and Rush are in. But since Steinfeld appears to be the only woman with a major part in True Grit, and therefore not competing with any other actress in her film, it's a little harder to grasp the reasoning.
    The other unwritten rule seems to be that child actors will be more likely nominated in supporting categories, no matter how "lead" their roles are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    Video of Colin Firth looking very pleased here.
    OMG, he might wear a kilt to the awards? I at the very thought of it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    There is also a best animated category; IIRC there are only 3 nominees: How to Train Your Dragon, The Illusionist and Toy Story 3.
    Was Despicable Me last year?

I've seen 5 of the 10 best picture noms (working on the rest) and so far I do like Black Swan the best. I enjoyed the social network but I think it was sort of more a great story than a great movie. I understand that a lot of people didn't like Black Swan, though. I loved Inception, but it isn't the kind of movie that wins. I still need to see King's Speech.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Was Despicable Me last year?
    It was 2010, but I'm glad it wasn't nominated. It was pretty lame IMO, certainly by comparison to the other noms, and it devalues the category if they nominate a film just because it "fits."

vCash
    The characters in Despicable Me were cute -- especially the minions! -- but it had no real story to speak of. It was all right to sit through once, but I wouldn't bother seeing it again.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by a56 View Post
    I am really curious to see whether Annette Bening will win the Oscar. I still think Natalie Portman is ahead. However, considering the Academy passed Annette over for the same actress twice within 5 years (!!), I don't think she's that popular among the Oscar voters. If she doesn't win this time around, I think Annette's best chance for an Oscar may be to just have a strong supporting role in a film and get a supporting actress Oscar as sort of a career achievement award...
    I honestly think Bening would have won (deservedly!) for American Beauty but she was up against Hilary Swank for Boys Don't Cry, and that one was a lock. 1999 was a very competitive year in all the major categories, unfortunately for the also-rans.

And the fact that Renee Zellweger has an Oscar for anything is

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    It was 2010, but I'm glad it wasn't nominated. It was pretty lame IMO, certainly by comparison to the other noms, and it devalues the category if they nominate a film just because it "fits."
    I LOVE Despicable Me!!!!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Did you see Cold Mountain? She saved that movie!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    James Franco continues to me. The day before he hosts his first Oscar ceremony(/ attends his first Oscars as Lead Actor nominee), he'll have returned to his scene-chewing serial killer role at General Hospital. ...

Franco 1 / ego 0
    I'd love to know what he was thinking when he signed up to do a soap - and then really enjoys it! Great to see some actors aren't total snobs.

Bummed for Andrew Garfield, not that surprised that Mila Kunis didn't get nominated. Her part wasn't all that much. Then again, neither was Amy Adams's, though I did highly enjoy her swear-word-laden intercom fight with Christian Bale's character. I'm rooting for Melissa Leo.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    OMG, he might wear a kilt to the awards? I at the very thought of it!
    May I join you down there?

Javier in a tux and Colin in a Kilt!!! (I'm of direct Scottish ancestry, so... ) I might not make through the Red Carpet Arrivals, forget the actual Awards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I honestly think Bening would have won (deservedly!) for American Beauty but she was up against Hilary Swank for Boys Don't Cry, and that one was a lock. 1999 was a very competitive year in all the major categories, unfortunately for the also-rans.

I LOVE Despicable Me!!!!
    I thought Bening should have been nominated for supporting role in American Beauty and she would have won. I did not feel it was a strong enough lead role to compete against Hillary's BDC role, which was practically unbeatable. I think another time Bening was up against another unbeatable role by Hillary (Million dollar baby).

I think Natalie's role this year is unbeatable too, and it will keep Bening from winning the Oscar yet again.

In order for Bening to win the Oscar she will need to play a flawed character, like mental or physical problem. Usually those types win the Oscar. I am not saying the actors did not deserve the awards; it's just that it somehow gets higher recognition.

P.S. Talking of supporting role, how did Hailee (True Grit) get nominated for supporting role when she is the main character in the movie? I will be quite upset if she wins the Oscar because of this.

vCash
    Wasn't Melissa Leo fired from BOTH The Young Riders and Homicide for not being "hot" enough? First of all, she was totally hot in Homicide (didn't like how they dressed her in The Young Riders though) and also, she was as awesome then as she is now. I hope the morons who made those decisions feel like total idiots now that she's picked up Oscar Nomination #2...

vCash
    Am I the only one who thinks True Grit was overrated and did not really deserve that many (10) nominations? I disagree with the best pic and best lead actor noms. Bridges did fine, but I did not feel it was really one of the best roles, unless he is getting recognized for playing a role previously played by John Wayne.

BTW it was nice to see Winter's Bone and Kids are all right get the recognition with 4 noms each. Usually the artsy films are ignored. I am happy that there are 10 BP nominations since last year.

vCash
    It's the same with Rush in The King's Speech, even more so. But that happens all the time: there's an almost universal unwritten rule that only 1 "lead" actor is allowed per film, so no matter how big the other parts are, they're "supporting." A bit unfair on some of the other noms who really were "supporting," but there you go.

In the case of The King's Speech, though, I'm glad it happened that way, as both Firth & Rush deserve to win and the only way that can happen is if they're in different categories.

I saw Rush's role as supporting in the King's speech. The main character was very clearly Firth's. I don't think it should even be open to a debate. Rush was very very good, but I think Christian Bale had the best supporting actor performance this year in The Fighter.

About more than one lead in a movie, yes it is possible. IIRC in Thelma & Louise both actresses were nominated for the lead actress Oscar (and neither won, probably because the votes got split).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I saw Rush's role as supporting in the King's speech. The main character was very clearly Firth's. I don't think it should even be open to a debate. Rush was very very good, but I think Christian Bale had the best supporting actor performance this year in The Fighter.
    ITA, Rush's role was supporting in every way. After seeing The Fighter, Christian Bale is as much of a lock as you can get. Phenomenal performance.

vCash
    I think Natalie's role this year is unbeatable too, and it will keep Bening from winning the Oscar yet again.
    That would be my guess too. Natalie has gotten so much buzz for that role.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I think another time Bening was up against another unbeatable role by Hillary (Million dollar baby).
    I thought Million Dollar Baby was overrated and awful. Anybody should have been able to beat Swank, but I think the Academy went with the 'safe' choice because the field was so loaded. As big a wuzrobbed as Bening was for Being Julia, there was also Imelda Staunton for Vera Drake and the girl who was Maria in Maria Full of Grace. Apologies to the fifth nominee; I don't remember who that was. In any case, this particular field was very strong.

vCash
    I would have liked to have seen Nolan get a nomination. I also would have liked for The Town to have sneaked in to the Best Picture top ten list.

I don't think Annette Benning's performance was Oscar-worthy and I think might have had even less of a chance in the supporting category, which is a very strong category this year.

Rush was fabulous, but Christian Bale was even better.

I'm rooting for Colin Firth all the way -- kilt or no kilt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Javier in a tux and Colin in a Kilt!!! (I'm of direct Scottish ancestry, so... ) I might not make through the Red Carpet Arrivals, forget the actual Awards.
    Shall we pray for a strong wind that night?

vCash
    I can't believe Nolan wasn't nominated

I've seen more Best Picture noms than I usually have...Inception, The Kids Are All Right, Black Swan, The Social Network and Toy Story 3. I still need to see The King's Speech. I liked Inception and Black Swan both very much. I doubt either will win, though.

And count me as a Despicable Me hater. Ugh, boring, pointless and soooo annoying.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast