Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Is it true -- no Best Song noms for Burlesque?

We all wuzrobbed of whatever Cher and/or Xtina would be dressed in on the red carpet and later on-stage.

Joan Rivers is weeping a bit this morning over this lost opportunity (if tears are indeed still a possibility with that face.)

Blergh
    vCash
    I think Joan Rivers knew long before-hand that her documentary wasn't going to get nominated. I didn't read the article, but apparently her documentary didn't make the semi-finals or whatever the preliminary rounds are for the Documentary contingent.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Oh, I was referrring to the "lost opportunity" for Joan to ridicule Cher's/Xtina's Oscar fashions. Though, both may still attend/walk the red carpet. (Christina is probably more likely.)

I hadn't heard that Joan had a documentary out, but suddenly I "get" a joke she made during Fashion Police a few weeks ago about how to earn an Oscar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    Did anyone notice Mila Kunis was not nominated for Best Supporting Actress? After I saw the movie I didn't think she had much of a role anyway.
    If anyone was nominated for a supporting actress for Black Swan, I would've liked it to be Barbara Hershey. She was very, very good.

I'm very disappointed that Nolan wasn't nominated. He's going to have to direct a World War II epic that is total Oscar bait before they consider him a "serious" director.

I'm thrilled beyond measure for Mark Ruffalo. I loved him in The Kids Are Alright.

And I love that Javier Bardem was nominated, too.

Blergh
    vCash
    Oh, LMAO. Poor Cher and Xtina. I have a very fabulous friend who's in love with Xtina and Cher and Burlesque. I may have to console him now.

With the most nominations and a PGA win, does it mean that The King's Speech could be the film that might upset The Social Network? I was getting bored all year with The Social Network every freakin' critics award and award show. I need to see it before the Oscars before I form my opinion. I'm sure I'll like it, but I really need to forget the overwhelming hype this movie got because no movie can live up to it.

ETA:

For those who are lamenting Christopher Nolan's omission, which director(s) would you have taken out to make room for him?
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    For those who are lamenting Christopher Nolan's omission, which director(s) would you have taken out to make room for him?
    I haven't seen True Grit, The Fighter or The Social Network. So I can't give you an informed opinion. I think I'll see them before the Oscars, though True Grit for some reason doesn't really appeal to me.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    I was disappointed in both True Grit and Black Swan. Neither would get an MLP nom.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I haven't seen all of them, but since the DGA nominations were out beforehand and didn't include the Coens, I'd say the Coens were probably the spoiler.

Honestly, I thought the lack of editing nom is more of a snub. The fact that most people who saw Inception were not confused watching the third act is a feat in itself!

vCash
    Video of Colin Firth looking very pleased here.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Eh, I'm a bit disappointed in the slate of films this year, I think. Or maybe I just haven't seen the right ones (I've seen more of the nominated films than in past years).

I just saw The Kids Are Alright and was HUGELY disappointed. Especially considering it was (co)written and directed by a lesbian. The acting was fine but the writing was atrocious. hackneyed stereotypes anyone?

sad that The Town got no love - although the director's slate is so strong there's no one I would bump for it.

Am looking forward to seeing The Fighter, and although I have a hard time imagining that The King's Speech is as fantastic as people say, I will see it pre-Oscars.

For now I'm rooting for The Social Network.

oh, and I wish Scott Pilgrim vs The World had gotten a special effects nom
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    Video of Colin Firth looking very pleased here.
    Lord, these anchors ask stupid questions. "Bad memories" from last year, like his house burned down instead of someone else beating him for an award. His answers were great, though.

I wonder where he was for the interview? Gorgeous background there. (And Colin was looking pretty darned good himself! )
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    No Christopher Nolan? OUCH!

Very happy for Colin Firth

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    (And Colin was looking pretty darned good himself! )
    I know!!! I felt like such a swooning fangirl.

I so hope he wins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post

No Julianne Moore either.
    I just watched The Kids are All Right from Netflix last night and I'm not surprised that Moore was snubbed. I didn't believe her performance/character for one second. I thought she was the weakest thing in the movie, which is surprising, since I am normally a big fan of hers. I just didn't buy her in this role at all.

On the other hand, I thought Annette Bening was amazing. She stole this movie out from under everyone else IMHO.

vCash
    With the most nominations and a PGA win, does it mean that The King's Speech could be the film that might upset The Social Network? I was getting bored all year with The Social Network every freakin' critics award and award show.
    The Academy voters (despite the attempts of the Board of Governors) still skew much older than most of the other guilds and award bodies. So, it is quite possible.

I think that one reason Benning got the nod over Moore is because she is a favorite with the Academy voters. Remember, many times the win isn't aways for ones best work, but because the voters feel someone is "due".

Very happy for the Ruffalo and Hawkes nominations.

No Kevin O'Connell nom this year - but he didn't really have anything in the hunt. So, we'll have to wait until next year at the earliest to see if the streak will continue, or be broken.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    I just watched The Kids are All Right from Netflix last night and I'm not surprised that Moore was snubbed. I didn't believe her performance/character for one second. I thought she was the weakest thing in the movie, which is surprising, since I am normally a big fan of hers. I just didn't buy her in this role at all.

On the other hand, I thought Annette Bening was amazing. She stole this movie out from under everyone else IMHO.
    Wow I had the complete opposite reaction, I thought that Moore made all sorts of interesting choices which continually surprised me and easily gave the better, more creative performance of the two. Bening was fine, but I didn't find her performance all that interesting.

Regardless, I think Portman gave the performance of the year in "Black Swan" and would love to see her win, though I imagine that Bening might take it because it's "her turn".

Am very pleased that Melissa Leo was nominated am thinking that she might lose on account of splitting the vote with Amy Adams, I hope that means that Bonham Carter can squeak through with the win. Loved her Queen Mum.

Am glad Kunis didn't get the nod as there wasn't much to her performance, definitely thought Hershey should have been acknowledged though, really good, frightening stuff from her.

vCash
    That is one packed Supporting Actress field -- I haven't seen The Fighter or True Grit, but I keep hearing about how wonderful Leo and Steinfeld are, and to some extent Adams too. I'd certainly be happy to see Carter take it, but I don't think it'll happen.

Actually, I'm a little surprised Steinfeld is in Supporting. If this True Grit is anything like the first True Grit, Mattie has an awful lot of screentime.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    How predictable. Yay for Social Network, I guess.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I was disappointed at the lack of noms for Barney's Version. I thought it would get adapted screenplay and actor for sure (I like Jeff Bridges enough, but it was same old same ol in True Grit; Giamatti's performance was miles better). But I guess I shouldn't be too surprised considering how extremely limited the release has been. Mind you, with that field, I'd say Firth is looking an almost certainty to win -- yay!

Aside from Bridges, the other acting nom that I'd delete from the list in favour of ... well just about anyone ... is Amy Adams in The Fighter. Again, I like her fine, but this was not a good role for her and she was pretty unimpressive.

A little about the snub for Waiting for Superman too ... but very happy to see Gasland on the list. A great film not just for the subject it covers but the low-key style and the almost accidental way it came about.

vCash
    Annett Benning has never won an Oscar, right? I think Natalie will have many more opportunities to be nominated but not so much for Annett. I'll pick Annett to go home with Oscar.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast