Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Reynolds and Sawyer can be pretty darn good - ie top 10 in the World, when they are "on". Even Russell is pretty impressive when he skates well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    You are saying Dimanno should have written about washed-up Sansom taking away Najarro's spot????
    Maybe minx meant that the ladies would have been a more appropriate discipline to discuss instead of the men if Rosie wanted to talk about "Worryingly Thin fields" in terms of depth and quality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    You are saying Dimanno should have written about washed-up Sansom taking away Najarro's spot????
    Two points here:

First of all, Sansom is not washed-up. She may not be the second coming of Joannie Rochette - perhaps not even the second coming of Annie Bellemare - but she certainly isn't washed up. Her FS was well-done, albeit uninspiring, but it isn't her fault that the rest of the field made so many mistakes. She could be on the Canadian ladies podium for a number of years to come. Also, she had a delightful exhibition skate which showed a lot of personality and indicated that she has room to grow as a performer.

Second, Sansom did not take away Najarro's spot. Najarro simply did not have the technical content to beat her. She needs a year or two to contend for the senior ladies podium.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Reynolds and Sawyer can be pretty darn good - ie top 10 in the World, when they are "on". Even Russell is pretty impressive when he skates well.
    Indeed. There are a lot of federations who would gladly trade their Top Three (if they have that many) for Sawyer, Reynolds, and Russell, never mind Chan or the up-and-comers like Baldé and Rogozine. Great Britain, Poland, Ukraine, and even Germany come to mind, for starters.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I suspected that might be the reason why Rosie's still around, but sad to hear it's the truth.

One of these days, one of her targets is going to be rightfully ticked off and will decide to go after the twisted witch for libel or something close to it. When that day comes, I'll be cheering as it will be exactly what she has coming to her.

vCash
    Iam glad others get angry at this article. I was at the competition live and my gosh Shawn was incredible. Its amazing how he could perform all the jumps never leaving the character of the mad hatter. Just the movements he makes are so unique. He is a better skater than ever. Best the article is ignored for its pure ignorance. There is a great talent in Liam Firus for the future.

vCash
    Where is it written a country has to have three great skaters in a discipline? Having two skaters worthy of a world podium is an anomaly. As long as Chan remains consistent that's what matters. Hopefully, by the time his competitive career winds down THREE YEARS FROM NOW or maybe even seven years from now -- the guy is only 20 -- hopefully there will be another kick ass Canadian man to challenge the world's best. I don't get the drama.

vCash
    This woman has bugged me for years (I guess maybe that's the point) She's rude and clueless. I shutter when I see her name and prepare myself for the worst because it usually is. I only wish someone would write such things about her and her 'work'. You know something like:
    "An article written for show rather than the stuff of a serious journalist by a long-in-the-tooth-ish,loud and crude woman who wouldn't know a camel 'jump' from a camel's hump or a camel spin for that matter."

vCash
    ^^^ this!! I'd rep you if I could and I'd love to help someone write such an article. On second thought, maybe I'd better not. Sometimes my emotions get the better of me and I write things I shouldn't. Fortunately for me, I don't often post them but the act of typing it out helps somewhat.

What a tool is Rosie! Not sure which one, but it's one that isn't sharp at all.
    Crazy about sports!

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post
    This woman has bugged me for years (I guess maybe that's the point) She's rude and clueless. I shutter when I see her name and prepare myself for the worst because it usually is. I only wish someone would write such things about her and her 'work'. You know something like:
    "An article written for show rather than the stuff of a serious journalist by a long-in-the-tooth-ish,loud and crude woman who wouldn't know a camel 'jump' from a camel's hump or a camel spin for that matter."
    As much as it really pains me to speak up in DiManno's defense (believe me, it *really* pains me), I don't think it helps to attack her with personal insults. Because that is exactly what she is doing to the Canadian skaters. Why descend to her level of the gutter?

Attacking her by insulting her inability to name skating moves correctly, though, a big HELL YEAH to that .
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Attacking her by insulting her inability to name skating moves correctly, though, a big HELL YEAH to that .
    A letter to the editor would be a great idea. Sure wish I had the time.

vCash
    I didn't write the insults, she did. I just inserted her where Shawn's name was and rearranged a bit. Dish it, take it. Though I hardly think she cares what I say or for that matter will ever know. She's been doing this for years so obviously some one finds her amusing and full of....'knowledge' or she wouldn't have a job. If fact it must explain where some of the people at skating competitions get their info. from. So the next time you're at Skate Canada and the person beside you says 'He missed his camel jump.' You'll no who to thank.
    Funny, I don't post much either and I also usually just stick to the act of typing it out as therapy, but I couldn't help myself today.

vCash
    I, too, was there to see it all live and I've seen many of these young skaters develop over the past few years. I totally agree that the following skaters show definite promise:

Eladj Balde; Liam Firus; Ian Martinez; Andrei Rogozine; Samual Morais; as well as the Jr's Garret Gosselin and Nam (12 year old phenom who won Jr Men!)

Also, while I haven't been a fan of Shawn's in the past, he absolutely laid down 2 flawless programs: he totally deserves that world team spot and if he does skate at Worlds like he did in Victoria, he could very well end up in the top 10 (although it is a crowded field with the very strong Japanese contingent).

Chan's program was unbelievable: halfway through I just had that feeling that he would not go down. It was a memorable skate for many reasons and I hope he can duplicate it at Worlds. Hard to believe that he was suffering from a head cold.

Go Chan Go!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Maybe minx meant that the ladies would have been a more appropriate discipline to discuss instead of the men if Rosie wanted to talk about "Worryingly Thin fields" in terms of depth and quality.
    Ah, that makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Two points here:

First of all, Sansom is not washed-up. She may not be the second coming of Joannie Rochette - perhaps not even the second coming of Annie Bellemare - but she certainly isn't washed up. Her FS was well-done, albeit uninspiring, but it isn't her fault that the rest of the field made so many mistakes. She could be on the Canadian ladies podium for a number of years to come. Also, she had a delightful exhibition skate which showed a lot of personality and indicated that she has room to grow as a performer.

Second, Sansom did not take away Najarro's spot. Najarro simply did not have the technical content to beat her. She needs a year or two to contend for the senior ladies podium.
    No I wasn't saying that, I didn't understand what minx was getting at but Seerek 's point is more understandable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    "Shawn Sawyer, a long-in-the-tooth-ish 25-year-old"

????????????

Wow, that's cruel.
    Funny everyone seems so angry about comments like these when most people on these boards make the exact same ones when whining about how so and so doesn't retire yet at their "ripe old age". Michelle was younger than that when everyone here was saying she should quit due to age.

Pot meets kettle.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    Funny everyone seems so angry about comments like these when most people on these boards make the exact same ones when whining about how so and so doesn't retire yet at their "ripe old age". Michelle was younger than that when everyone here was saying she should quit due to age.

Pot meets kettle.
    Big difference - we are just fans, and she is a supposed to be a journalist who is offering her commentary based on facts, and she's supposed to have credibility - which unfortunately she does to a degree because her comments are under the auspices of a credible newspaper. Which, btw, is the highest circulation newspaper in the country, and thus her comments reach a very wide audience in print, not to mention online. She is in a position of influence, and therefore has responsibility to get her facts straight and provide commentary, not biased opinion, and frankly, there's no need to be nasty about it. We are merely fans talking amongst ourselves.

INTJ
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    It seems Skate Canda is also wanting their male skaters to be butch and very masculine. That is probably another reason they dont like Shawn so much.
    I assume you're referring to comments from Slipchuk about wanting to portray figure skating as a tough sport, right? I don't think that has anything to do with lack of support for Shawn. Shawn isn't particularly feminine. He's bendy, yes, but he skates like a man.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post

Pot meets kettle.
    I've never said a skater should retire. I happen to like watching the older skaters.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    I assume you're referring to comments from Slipchuk about wanting to portray figure skating as a tough sport, right? I don't think that has anything to do with lack of support for Shawn. Shawn isn't particularly feminine. He's bendy, yes, but he skates like a man.

Dear God when is this stupid rumor going to end. judgejudy27 Skate Canada NEVER said anything about wanting their male skaters to be butch and very masculine. What they wanted to do was somehow portray to the public how incredibly difficult figure skating is. As much for the women as the men. It was NEVER just about the men and it was NEVER about them having to be masculine.

Unfortunately Debbie Wilkes mentioned about how skaters needed to be "tough" (it was Debbie Wilkes not Slipper) and the media of course took it out of context, and twisted it around and then Stojko wieghed in and voila it became all about the male skaters having to be macho

At this point William Thompson (Skate Canada CEO) made a public statement about Skate Canada's intention. But I guess very few people read that. And of course by then it was too late. The myth had begun.

The press piss me off. Also I think Debbie could have explained better. Who knows. Perhaps she did and the press just used it the way they wanted anyway.

vCash
    I'm from the US so I don't know this writer very well but it is a bit of a relief to know that there is a Canadian equivalent to Phil Hersh and Christine Brennan.

That is, bitter, angry sports writers who spew poorly researched crap to raise the ire of skating fans and increase the hit counts on their web sites.

Do we think they all get together at Worlds to plan (and avoid watching the actual competitions?)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast