Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,641
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I see less depth in the European championships then at the US Nationals and the Europeans include many countries not just one like the US Championships.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    'Me so ashamed of my English'
    Age
    30
    Posts
    17,981
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3882
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I mean in terms of technical prowess. So many Euro ladies leave out a lot of triples and tend to double so many jumps. There are a good number of US senior ladies who have 3-3s and 2a-3ts and a full/almost full arsenal of triples. I mean if you look at Euros last year, Kostner won the event with 4 triples and a couple splats while at the US nationals we saw several solid performances.
    For the record, landing flutz', URs, mule kicking flips and lips does not "Technical Prowess" make.

    Flatt and Nagasu can't even remotely touch the likes of Kostner, Lepisto or even Korpi in terms of basics. I'd put Czisny on par with Korpi.

    Meh...

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    'Me so ashamed of my English'
    Age
    30
    Posts
    17,981
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3882
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I see less depth in the European championships then at the US Nationals and the Europeans include many countries not just one like the US Championships.
    Perhaps.
    You see Russia can only send 2 ladies, when in reality they'd have 8 or 9 that would destroy a host of the US gals.

    I guess we'd need an Asian fan or a Aussie to solve this question, but let it be noted that a Euro wouldn't have had the arrogance/cattyness to even post this thread.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,641
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    Perhaps.
    You see Russia can only send 2 ladies, when in reality they'd have 8 or 9 that would destroy a host of the US gals.

    I guess we'd need an Asian fan or a Aussie to solve this question, but let it be noted that a Euro wouldn't have had the arrogance/cattyness to even post this thread.
    Perhaps but the US has destroyed the Russians over the years in Ladies skating. There are years when we could have sent 5 or 6 skaters to the Olympics easily. And the US has been doing this since the 1950's with very few lulls in between.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    FSU Witness Protection Program
    Age
    26
    Posts
    27,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11913
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Perhaps but the US has destroyed the Russians over the years in Ladies skating. There are years when we could have sent 5 or 6 skaters to the Olympics easily. And the US has been doing this since the 1950's with very few lulls in between.
    And Russian pairs were undefeated in the Olympics for decades.
    And Canadian men have been historically very strong.
    And Japan has the deepest field in singles currently.

    Different countries have strengths in different disciplines.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    Perhaps.
    You see Russia can only send 2 ladies, when in reality they'd have 8 or 9 that would destroy a host of the US gals.

    I guess we'd need an Asian fan or a Aussie to solve this question, but let it be noted that a Euro wouldn't have had the arrogance/cattyness to even post this thread.
    Not really. Adelina yes, and then Liza, Ksenia, Alena maybe. There are some other young girls who are pretty good (Sheveleva, Agafonova, Shelepen, Lipitniskaya, Radinova) but I wouldn't say any of them would destroy the frontrunners at US senior or junior nationals at this point.

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,130
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    For the record, landing flutz', URs, mule kicking flips and lips does not "Technical Prowess" make.

    Flatt and Nagasu can't even remotely touch the likes of Kostner, Lepisto or even Korpi in terms of basics. I'd put Czisny on par with Korpi.

    Meh...

    And who cares about basics if you can't do a lutz or a flip.

    The Sr ladies in Europe suck!

    The best ladies skater in Europe won't even be at Europeans this week (Sotnikova).

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
    And who cares about basics if you can't do a lutz or a flip.

    The Sr ladies in Europe suck!

    The best ladies skater in Europe won't even be at Europeans this week (Sotnikova).
    That is all I am saying. Good basics are nice but they don't make up for double jumps.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    423
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Oh yeah, I remember 3-3's at the US Nationals past 2-3 years, almost all of them were underrotated as well as some single triple jumps. Alissa won Nationals in 2009 with 3 triples in FS, Lepisto and Kostner at least did 3-3's when they won Euros past two years (clean and fully rotated 3-3's). Last year Flatt won the title at Nationals, a skater who can jump but lack everything else and is just boring. Half of Mirai's jumps in the FS were downgraded... In what way are they better?

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,341
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
    And who cares about basics if you can't do a lutz or a flip.
    Let me see.

    Kostner: She has done lutz and flip all her senior career ecluding this season and part off last season. To make it clear if you have not yet understood: she is injured!

    Lepistö: She has lutz. It has not been consistent before last season, but it is clean and nice now. I guess she could jump a second solo lutz in her LP and call it flip with wrong edge take-off like Ashley Wagner does with her flips/flutzes!

    Korpi: She has lutz and flip. She has done lutz all her senior career. Flip has MIA for many seasons, but she landed one in Finnish Nationals this season.

    And what comes to consistency, most of the American ladies are not that consistent either...

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,641
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    And just exactly how many major titles have skaters like Lepisto and Korpi won in the past? Seems like i remember a 16 year old american girl with little to no experience beating the both of them in Vancouver less then a year ago.

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,911
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8102
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Which Ladiezzz comp will be more riveting ? US Nats or the European Championships?
    Europeans

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,341
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    And just exactly how many major titles have skaters like Lepisto and Korpi won in the past? Seems like i remember a 16 year old american girl with little to no experience beating the both of them in Vancouver less then a year ago.
    Well, that little girl does not have any major international tittles either. I guess European Champion is better 2nd in Junior World Championships?

    I think both Alissa and Mirai are good, interesting skaters. I am interested in US Nats. It really just pisses me off to endlessly mock Kostner, Lepistö and Korpi by saying that they don't have lutzes, flips nor major international tittles. They do have lutzes and/or flips and it is not like American ladies have lately done well internationaly nor had true a lutz and a true flip.

    I think the question about which event is more interesting is stupid anyway. In skating, more is more.

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Back in the Finnish forests
    Posts
    4,752
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8861
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekatiivi View Post
    Well, that little girl does not have any major international tittles either. I guess European Champion is better 2nd in Junior World Championships?

    I think both Alissa and Mirai are good, interesting skaters. I am interested in US Nats. It really just pisses me off to endlessly mock Kostner, Lepistö and Korpi by saying that they don't have lutzes, flips nor major international tittles. They do have lutzes and/or flips and it is not like American ladies have lately done well internationaly nor had true a lutz and a true flip.

    I think the question about which event is more interesting is stupid anyway. In skating, more is more.
    ITA. I am a skating fan, not a nationalistic jerk. I am interested in both Euro and US (and Asian) ladies, but happen to be in Bern now

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,261
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm more interested in US nationals.

    There's about 6 skaters who could actually win the title. That's extremely exciting and nail biting. We have the reigning US national winner, gpf gold medalist, and Mirai 4th place finisher at the Olympics and 1st at the 2010 worlds sp.

    Plus US Nats has Mirai and Alissa some of the best spinners in the world, Rachael one of the most consistent jumpers, and the new Agnes who can JUMP HUGE!!

  16. #36

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    FSU Witness Protection Program
    Age
    26
    Posts
    27,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11913
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekatiivi View Post
    Well, that little girl does not have any major international tittles either. I guess European Champion is better 2nd in Junior World Championships?

    I think both Alissa and Mirai are good, interesting skaters. I am interested in US Nats. It really just pisses me off to endlessly mock Kostner, Lepistö and Korpi by saying that they don't have lutzes, flips nor major international tittles. They do have lutzes and/or flips and it is not like American ladies have lately done well internationaly nor had true a lutz and a true flip.

    I think the question about which event is more interesting is stupid anyway. In skating, more is more.

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,261
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    AND Mirai & Alissa have some of the best spirals in the world. Along with some of the best choregraphed sp's

  18. #38

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Age
    32
    Posts
    6,530
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekatiivi View Post
    I think the question about which event is more interesting is stupid anyway. In skating, more is more.
    Agree with oleada-

    This thread may have had good intentions but has become so ...is it really necessary for us to have ANOTHER thread with the usual suspects trading jabs and slamming the skaters they don't like? Ladies, ladies. You're all pretty. Now please, find another hobby besides bashing skaters you don't like just to feel better about yourself/your favorites.

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,772
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    FTR, I had started this thread just for comparisons on several factors between US and Euro Ladies [including tense competition; no. of top intl. scores in each competition]. There was absolutely no intention on my part for it to degenerate into a bickering match.

  20. #40

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Age
    32
    Posts
    6,530
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    There was absolutely no intention on my part for it to degenerate into a bickering match.
    I believe you. It's not your fault that this happened. It's just fact that any thread here comparing Euro vs. US will result in poths slamming US skaters and pinky pointing out why everyone but her favorites are so awful. Sad how predictable things have become.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •