Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,934
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    U.S. Ladies vs. Euro Ladies- Which Comp this week will be more riveting?

    So, before the competition starts this week.

    Which Ladiezzz comp will be more riveting ? US Nats or the European Championships?

    I think it will be the US ladies - Czisny- GPF Champ. Will she stay upright? Only 2 spots available. Flatt, Czisny and Nagasu have all won an LP on the GP Circuit at least once.

    OTOH, Kostner is limited in her jumps. Lepisto is out, which leaves Korpi, Leonova and Gedevanishvili

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    16,691
    vCash
    450
    Rep Power
    7993
    So which U.S. ladies, Jr or Sr? I think the Jr. might be more exciting.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    FSU Witness Protection Program
    Age
    26
    Posts
    28,062
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33872
    I'm actually sad that the qualifying competition won't let us enjoy the first group of Euro ladies trashy voids

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,138
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The JUNIOR ladies short at US Nationals was quite riveting, IMHO.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal!
    Posts
    1,784
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yes, I'm really into the junior ladies. Go Courtney Hicks!

    But I'm also excited for senior ladies and I'm kind of excited for Euros, too. Let's just see what happens.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Still cheering for Mirai and Jeremy
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,877
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1271
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    The JUNIOR ladies short at US Nationals was quite riveting, IMHO.
    It certainly was. It was my first time seeing Courtney Hicks and she was amazing! I wish she was skating in seniors. I hope her LP is as good.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    The JUNIOR ladies short at US Nationals was quite riveting, IMHO.
    ITA. Katarina Kulgeyko is a Carolina Kostner in the making. Her spanish themed SP was brilliant!

    Euros should be fun to watch, but I feel like we all know the podium will be Carolina, Kiira, and one of the Russians, so not much of a nail biter. I'm more interested in the men's event because the podium is so wide open this year.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Age
    21
    Posts
    14,081
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I actually think both competitions will be fun to watch. It's going to be a very exciting weekend!

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,708
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I had never seen Courtney Hicks before last night. She blew me away. How is she not skating in the Senior Nationals. That SP would have placed her in the top 5 no doubt. I can understand her not skating as a Senior internationally because there are so many good US skaters but she's in a class by herself as a Junior. The depth in US Ladies skating is incredible. The problem has been finding a champion among them in the last few years.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I had never seen Courtney Hicks before last night. She blew me away. How is she not skating in the Senior Nationals. That SP would have placed her in the top 5 no doubt. I can understand her not skating as a Senior internationally because there are so many good US skaters but she's in a class by herself as a Junior. The depth in US Ladies skating is incredible. The problem has been finding a champion among them in the last few years.
    IDK, I think if Katarina brings her 3-3 in the FS then she can give Hicks a run for her money. I was impressed with most of the junior ladies to be perfectly honest, they all looked really strong and even the girls from Easterns who don't have all the tech did quite well on the components side of things. Some of the girls are really young too, Edmunds is only 12 and Jiang 13.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    151
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I'm more interested in the men's event because the podium is so wide open this year.
    Me too!!

    About ladies: I think that ladies' event even with Lepisto wouldn't be more interesting than U.S nationals.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think the US ladies will be very interesting- it's pretty wide open on who will get it. Czisny, Flatt, Nagasu, Wagner or will it be one of the newer girls?

    I don't know if there really is a frontrunner...

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    'Me so ashamed of my English'
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,016
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    How can anyone classify US nationals as interesting when the likes of FLatt, Zawadski and Gao are likely to be the best of the bunch.

    I do love a bit of Czisny.


    Euros is going to rock my world between Korpii, Kostner, Meier and the Ruskies battling for medals and headcases like Gedevanishvili to keep you guessing. The OES trio of Lafuente, Meite and Vannut alone interest me more than US NATS, but then I'm weird.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    How can anyone classify US nationals as interesting when the likes of FLatt, Zawadski and Gao are likely to be the best of the bunch.

    I do love a bit of Czisny.


    Euros is going to rock my world between Korpii, Kostner, Meier and the Ruskies battling for medals and headcases like Gedevanishvili to keep you guessing. The OES trio of Lafuente, Meite and Vannut alone interest me more than US NATS, but then I'm weird.
    I feel like a lot of the US ladies are better than the current crop of Euro ladies, save Kostner.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    'Me so ashamed of my English'
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,016
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I feel like a lot of the US ladies are better than the current crop of Euro ladies, save Kostner.
    Define better?

    I don't enjoy any US lady save Czisny and Nagasu, ocassionally. However I enjoy dozens of Euro ladies.

    US ladies is a national contest. Most girls strive to be the same thing, pockets of them share the same coaches/choreographers layout, MITF etc.


    Euros is a continental competition. There is way more variation in terms of program construction (granted, some strive for what American girls strive for too ) there are different approaches, from the pouty, to the moany, to the perky.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    Define better?

    I don't enjoy any US lady save Czisny and Nagasu, ocassionally. However I enjoy dozens of Euro ladies.

    US ladies is a national contest. Most girls strive to be the same thing, pockets of them share the same coaches/choreographers layout, MITF etc.


    Euros is a continental competition. There is way more variation in terms of program construction (granted, some strive for what American girls strive for too ) there are different approaches, from the pouty, to the moany, to the perky.
    I mean in terms of technical prowess. So many Euro ladies leave out a lot of triples and tend to double so many jumps. There are a good number of US senior ladies who have 3-3s and 2a-3ts and a full/almost full arsenal of triples. I mean if you look at Euros last year, Kostner won the event with 4 triples and a couple splats while at the US nationals we saw several solid performances.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,138
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think Courtney Hicks could have had one of the highest technical scores (maybe THE highest) if she were skating in Senior Ladies in Bern..

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    16,691
    vCash
    450
    Rep Power
    7993
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    How can anyone classify US nationals as interesting when the likes of FLatt, Zawadski and Gao are likely to be the best of the bunch.

    I do love a bit of Czisny.


    .
    Just exactly which bit do you enjoy?

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal!
    Posts
    1,784
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    Euros is going to rock my world between Korpii, Kostner, Meier and the Ruskies battling for medals and headcases like Gedevanishvili to keep you guessing. The OES trio of Lafuente, Meite and Vannut alone interest me more than US NATS, but then I'm weird.
    Vannut: says it all right there. I KNEW I liked her!

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    426
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I think Courtney Hicks could have had one of the highest technical scores (maybe THE highest) if she were skating in Senior Ladies in Bern..
    And if Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva were skating in Bern... Or at the US Nationals (senior, junior, it doesn't matter)...

    poths, I understand what you mean, but I think it all depends on what you like more. As for me, I find the Americans a bit similar. A lot of pretty princesses in similar dresses, maybe Alissa, who shows the real ladies skating, is an exception, but her technique is scary and she is as inconsistent as Kostner, and sometimes Ashley is fun to watch too, but not always. Flatt, Zawadzki and Gao are just boring.
    The Europeans are all different, Carolina and Kiira are real ladies. Kiira has a softer style, Carolina skates with power and I can watch her just moving across the ice forever, her skating skills, speed and lines are so good. The Russian girls are different too, Alena is a fire on ice and Ksenia can skate like a queen. And I also like Valentina Marchei and Sarah Meier. It makes Euros much more interesting for me.

    The main problem with both competition for me is the fact that there's no skaters like Mao and Yuna, the leaders, the real champions. But maybe few years later when Liza and Adelina will be old enough...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •