Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
    I think heckles was just using that to explain the symbolism that decapitation might have had for him, not as the reason that he killed her but as to why he chose to sever her head after he stabbed her 40 times. I think all of us agree that he's deeply disturbed, and very likely misogynistic as well.
    I admit that I haven't kept up with the case since it occurred two years ago but did Hassan actually state that as his motivation for beheading her? I don't remember him doing so and that why I questioned the reference to the Qur'an verse in the first place.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    (For that matter, I'm unclear about what does make someone an "infidel" -- it isn't just being an unbeliever, right?)
    I'm so glad that "only" unbelievers are to be decapitated.

Whoops, that relief was short-lived. There are those pesky verses specific to death of Christians and Jews, who according to the Muslims have "diseased hearts" (9:125). Jews are "mutated rats" and "apes" (7:166). I guess that explains why George Burns always looked sort of like a chimp. Both Christians and Jews are to "die in a fire" (3:24, 3:162, 5:37).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    I admit that I haven't kept up with the case since it occurred two years ago but did Hassan actually state that as his motivation for beheading her? I don't remember him doing so and that why I questioned the reference to the Qur'an verse in the first place.
    From what I've read I don't believe he did. I think it's an assumption some have made because it's seems like such an unusual thing to do. I think folks are just trying to wrap their minds around what would motivate a person to do something so crazy.

vCash
    off to politically incorrect we go...

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badams View Post
    Told ya.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I still don't see why but if it happens so be it.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Thanks, Modern_Muslimah.

vCash
    About the only generalization I'm drawing from this case is that perpetrators of domestic violence are exceptionally dangerous, and all to likely to be serial perpetrators. He may be mentally ill, but the degree of planning and premeditation, as well as his prior history of domestic violence causes me to think of this much more as a criminal offense than as a direct manifestation of mental illness or of his religion. (Very different from honor killings, for example.)

And on the politically incorrect front: I've yet to hear calls for the restriction of knife sales.

vCash
    He may be mentally ill, but the degree of planning and premeditation, as well as his prior history of domestic violence causes me to think of this much more as a criminal offense than as a direct manifestation of mental illness or of his religion. (Very different from honor killings, for example.)
    Why would religion and criminal conduct be mutually exclusive? Muslim honor killings are often highly premeditated as well. The victim often has to be lured back to the family home under the pretense that she's been forgiven, and each family member present may have a planned role in her death: who holds her down, who strangles her, who cuts her head off, who disposes of the body. There's little spontaneous about many of these murders.

vCash
    Hmmm... I don't think I wrote that very well. What I was trying to say was that it seems to me more of a criminal offense inspired by domestic violence, and not inspired by his religion, than a criminal offense (like honor killings) that are religiously inspired, or of a criminal offense (like John Hinckely's) which appeared to be driven by mental illness. I'm not suggesting that whether or not it is a religiously-inspired killing makes it more or less culpable -- just that I don't (personally) see it as a manifestation of some warped view of Muslim faith. (Whereas suicide bombers I do see that way.)

vCash
    Closing arguments were today. After 50 minutes of deliberation, Mo Hassan was found guilty of 2nd degree murder.

vCash
    Closing arguments were today. After 50 minutes of deliberation, Mo Hassan was found guilty of 2nd degree murder.
    Not surprising. Any word yet on when sentencing will occur or whether he intends to appeal the verdict?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    That was a short deliberation.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Sentencing is March 9th. No word on an appeal, but with Hassan I would expect one.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    You behead your wife and it is only 2nd degree murder? Ummm, ok...?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    You behead your wife and it is only 2nd degree murder? Ummm, ok...?
    Yeah, I thought that was odd too.

vCash
    New York has an unusual first-degree murder statute. It applies in very limited circumstances, such as the murder of a police officer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Told ya.
    Guys, pray do tell me, what exactly is, in this given case, NOT politically correct?

a) The action of quoting the holy book, Koran?
    b) Or these particular teachings of Koran?

Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    I'm so glad that "only" unbelievers are to be decapitated.

Whoops, that relief was short-lived. There are those pesky verses specific to death of Christians and Jews, who according to the Muslims have "diseased hearts" (9:125). Jews are "mutated rats" and "apes" (7:166). I guess that explains why George Burns always looked sort of like a chimp. Both Christians and Jews are to "die in a fire" (3:24, 3:162, 5:37).

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Sooner or later I expected this discussion to develop along the lines of "Just another case of domestic violence, nothing to see here" vs. a religious killing. And that would have gone to PI.

I don't think that decapitation is the run of the mill MO of murder in domestic violence.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    from Wikipedia:

First Degree Murder: Murder involving special circumstances, such as murder of a police officer, judge, fireman or witness to a crime; multiple murders; and torture or especially heinous murders. Note that a "regular" premeditated murder, absent such special circumstances, is not a first-degree murder; murders by poison or "lying in wait" are not per se first-degree murders. First degree murder is pre-meditated. However, the New York Court of Appeals struck down the death penalty as unconstitutional in the case of People v. LaValle, because of the statute's direction on how the jury was to be instructed in case of deadlock in the penalty phase.

Second Degree Murder: Any premeditated murder or felony murder that does not involve special circumstances.
    First degree murder sounds sexier, but it's not really any different in severity now that there's no more death penalty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12