Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Mo Hassan case, beheads wife.

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this, but this case has been in the news a ton here and it's surprising to me that it's not all over the news elsewhere, mainly because Hassan is so...odd. It's a sick, twisted and weird case. I'm not sure anybody else will think it's all that interesting, but I thought I would give it a shot.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_167772.html

http://www.examiner.com/spirituality...-start-buffalo

http://www.buffalonews.com/topics/mo...icle321914.ece

It's such a made for TV type case.

vCash
    That is tragic and twisted. I don't know the details of how he killed her, but he's going to have a hard time convincing anyone that he had to decapitate someone to defend himself, and against woman no less. And representing himself? This will be quite the train wreck. I'm surprised we haven't heard more about it nationally. It's definitely the type of case that Lifetime movies and Dateline specials are made of. I wonder if it will be televised at all, because I really am curious to see this psycho try to defend himself.

vCash
    They only allowed cameras in for the opening arguments and will again for closing. He killed her while his kids waited in the car, claims it was self defense, claims HE was abused, turned himself in, claims he was abused while in jail...the list goes on and on with him. It absolutely reads like a Lifetime movie or Dateline story.

vCash
    This murder made tidal waves in the American Muslim community in 2009. As evidence mounted, it became clear that he was a deranged, violent domestic abuser - Aasiya was not his first wife; the first two both filed for divorce for identical reasons: domestic abuse and violence.

The one positive effect was that it brought domestic violence out in the open, so to speak, in the Muslim community. In February 2009, a unified & nationwide effort entitled "Imams Speak Out" launched: imams throughout the nation dedicated a sermon to DV, February is now considered DV Awareness month in mosques, imams & community leaders have started getting licensed on a large scale to counsel & assist DV victims and created processes to work more closely with local law enforcement officials. Here's an example of the response, by a theologically conservative imam in Chicago, who's a nationally known leader of the Muslim community.

This is a great piece written by his ex-wife's cousin Zerqa Abid, a nationally-known Muslim writer, about Mo Hassan, Muslim leadership and their obsession of image over substance, especially when it comes to sweeping things under the rug.

According to Abid, Mo Hassan was mentally not all there, which probably explains his self-representation. Frankly, I don't know how I want to see this play out: life in prison w/no parole or the death penalty. I'm normally against the DP, but in some cases, I can sometimes see it's appeal (I know, I know )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Orable View Post
    According to Abid, Mo Hassan was mentally not all there, which probably explains his self-representation. Frankly, I don't know how I want to see this play out: life in prison w/no parole or the death penalty. I'm normally against the DP, but in some cases, I can sometimes see it's appeal (I know, I know )
    What purpose would executing him serve, particularly if he is, in fact, mentally ill? And where would you draw the line?

vCash
    That's why I wrote "I know, I know!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    What purpose would executing him serve, particularly if he is, in fact, mentally ill? And where would you draw the line?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Tragic. Shouldn't this be in PI?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Tragic. Shouldn't this be in PI?
    Unless the discussion gets a lot more heated and divisive I don't think so. Just because it involves religion or politics doesn't send it to the PI closet, IMO.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    This.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Orable View Post
    Fortunately, there's no death penalty in New York. Such a tragic case.

vCash
    Yuck, I was called for jury duty the day that selection started for this trial. I wasn't called for it (and was dismissed) but my friend was. It took them a week to get 14 jurors ... I'm shocked they got any at all. It's gotten a lot of coverage in WNY and the general consensus seems to be guilty, guilty, guilty.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Why is a man, who is supposedly mentally ill, being allowed to represent himself? This has retrial written all over it and could be a huge waste of taxpayers money.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
    That is tragic and twisted. I don't know the details of how he killed her, but he's going to have a hard time convincing anyone that he had to decapitate someone to defend himself, and against woman no less. And representing himself? This will be quite the train wreck.
    And he has already gone through a bunch of lawyers in the past 2 years.

His tactics appear to consist of trying to portray his actions as being misunderstood. His kids already testified against him, and his lawyer tried to paint it as just kids who have a difficult relationship with their father.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Why is a man, who is supposedly mentally ill, being allowed to represent himself? This has retrial written all over it and could be a huge waste of taxpayers money.
    I believe he was evaluated and deemed mentally stable. There are a lot of people who think his actions are him aiming for a mistrial.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
    I don't know the details of how he killed her, but he's going to have a hard time convincing anyone that he had to decapitate someone to defend himself, and against woman no less.
    According to the article, she stopped wearing her hijab. Qur'an 8:12 instructs Muslims to decapitate infidels.
    Last edited by heckles; 01-25-2011 at 06:00 PM.

vCash
    They showed video of the murder in the courtroom today, according to twitter. He laid in wait for her before he attacked her.

http://twitter.com/#!/buffalopundit

This man is sitting in the courtroom.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    According to the article, she stopped wearing her hijab. Qur'an 8:12 instructs Muslims to decapitate infidels.
    Most Muslim women in the world don't wear hijbabs, right? How in the world does that make them infidels? (For that matter, I'm unclear about what does make someone an "infidel" -- it isn't just being an unbeliever, right?)

vCash
    What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

Not wearing hijab does not make a Muslim woman a non-Muslim (as plenty of non-hijabed Muslim women will tell you). You can go to most Muslim countries (Iran and Saudi Arabia being exceptions since hijab is actually mandated by the law and enforced) and see Muslim women not wearing hijab. Hassan killed his wife because he is deeply disturbed and misogynistic, not out of some duty to kill "infidels". Now I'm going to stop before this thread does get political.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    (For that matter, I'm unclear about what does make someone an "infidel" -- it isn't just being an unbeliever, right?)
    It depends. Being non-Muslim does not automatically make someone a kafir (infidel is really terrible translation of kafir, btw). Muslims don't use the word infidel and it never appears in the Qur'an, even in translations.

For takfir (labeling a Muslim a kafir) to occur, a Muslim would have to do something that goes against the core tenents of faith. For instance, if a Muslim said "I don't believe in God", they would effectively no longer be Muslim since belief in God is an article of faith.
    Last edited by modern_muslimah; 01-25-2011 at 07:25 PM.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

Not wearing hijab does not make a Muslim woman a non-Muslim (as plenty of non-hijabed Muslim women will tell you). You can go to most Muslim countries (Iran and Saudi Arabia being exceptions since hijab is actually mandated by the law and enforced) and see Muslim women not wearing hijab. Hassan killed his wife because he is deeply disturbed and misogynistic, not out of some duty to kill "infidels". Now I'm going to stop before this thread does get political.
    I think heckles was just using that to explain the symbolism that decapitation might have had for him, not as the reason that he killed her but as to why he chose to sever her head after he stabbed her 40 times. I think all of us agree that he's deeply disturbed, and very likely misogynistic as well.

My question is still how the hell does he think he's going to reconcile stabbing her 40 times and then cutting off her head with his pathetic claim of self defense? I know everyone has a right to present whatever defense they choose, but it's a shame that the court has to entertain such a ridiculous claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    And he has already gone through a bunch of lawyers in the past 2 years.

His tactics appear to consist of trying to portray his actions as being misunderstood. His kids already testified against him, and his lawyer tried to paint it as just kids who have a difficult relationship with their father.
    Have (or will) his former wives testify to his abuse against them. Since he's claiming to be a victim, it might be relevant that he has a history of being the abuser.

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Because mentally ill does not equal incompetent. He has a right to do it even if everyone knows it's probably just a very expensive waste of time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast