vCash

Light Therapy Lamps - Advice?

If anyone here has ever used a light therapy lamp like the Litebook (http://www.litebook.com/) I'd be very interested in hearing your experiences with it. I'm getting very tired of long rainy winters and am thinking of getting something like this to (literally) brighten up my day.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Sorry, this doesn't really answer your question but ... I immediately thought of the episode of Northern Exposure where the old guy (Walt?) got addicted to his sun therapy lamp, and the rest of the town had an intervention.

vCash
    No experience with it, but I was very bummed out when the time came to take my Christmas tree down, so I can definitely sympathize with you over the long winters, although so far mine has been very snowy, rather than rainy (and we're supposed to get more in the next few days).

vCash
    I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder, and I bought a light therapy lamp in the fall of 2009. I find it makes a HUGE difference, and would recommend one for anyone who has SAD, the winter blues, or even just feels down on a rainy day.

The one I got is from http://northernlighttechnologies.com I got the SadElite, since you don't have to be as close to the lamp in order to receive the full benefit, but the other types look good as well.

I looked at the link you posted, but I couldn't find any info on how many Lux that lightbox has.... The general recommendation is 10,000 Lux, since if the light intensity is lower, you have to use the lightbox for longer.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Last edited by GoldenLady; 01-24-2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: to fix broken link

vCash
    I also got a SADelite lamp from Northern Light Technologies and have had it for several winters now. I definitely notice a difference, though I don't use it as frequently as I should (1/2 hour per day directly in front of it is the recommendation).

Goldenlady's link didn't take me to the site I was expecting, so here's a link to the company I went with: http://www.northernlighttechnologies.com/

Also: At the time, I was able to include the light as part of my health-related tax deductions (this was in Canada), so that could be something to look into. You may need a prescription; I forget the details.

vCash
    Thanks for the correction, and I'm sorry about the broken link. I have fixed it in my original post as well.

TygerLily, I'm glad you're enjoying your SADelite, too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    If anyone here has ever used a light therapy lamp like the Litebook (http://www.litebook.com/) I'd be very interested in hearing your experiences with it. I'm getting very tired of long rainy winters and am thinking of getting something like this to (literally) brighten up my day.
    I will PM you....

vCash
    My husband uses Philips Britelite 6. I am not an user myself but he loves it.

vCash
    I bought the Litebook last year. It is quite compact and includes different international adaptors for travel but I've never used it for jet lag. I can't say it made a difference for me but it could just be that my lack of energy and depressed mood stems from something other then SAD.

As it is quite expensive (approx. CA $200), I wouldn't buy it again.