vCash

Woman solves her own cold case kidnapping!

Carlina White was snatch from a hospital at just three weeks old in 1987 and seemed to have vanished. Her mother and other family members never gave up hope. Carlina, raised as Nejdra Nance, always felt something was wrong because her "mother" could never produce a birth certificate and she did not look like any of the people she called her family. At 23 she did some digging online on the Centre For Missing And Exploited Children's website and found a picture of herself. DNA test has confirmed her identity and she has been reunited with her family. The police will not comment on charges.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12238387

vCash
    I just heard this on the radio. Incredible story!

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I wonder how the fake parents got her into school or got her a driver's license without producing a birth certificate. Odd.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    At least in the article I read, it doesn't look like the case is solved.

They have no way of knowing if the people who raised her were also the people who snatched her, or if they were victims of some sort of adoption fraud. (Which is why there will likely never be charges filed... since there is no evidence they stole the baby.) Which might answer manleywoman's question- a birth certificate may have been forged. Though they very well may be the horrible people, they might not be either.

Still, how fortunate for the family to be reunited, and for it to be going well (they said that family get togethers have no been ackward at all, as sometimes the "returned" family member feels out of place).
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 01-20-2011 at 08:37 PM.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    They have no way of knowing if the people who raised her were also the people who snatched her, or if they were victims of some sort of adoption fraud. (Which is why there will likely never be charges filed... since there is no evidence they stole the baby.) Which might answer manleywoman's question- a birth certificate may have been forged. Though they very well may be the horrible people, they might not be either.
    Well, one article I read said she asked her "mother" for a copy of her birth certificate at age 16, and the mother couldn't produce one. Plus she said her mother was an abusive drug addict, which also leads me to think that this was hardly a legal adoption. Which is not to say the mother was the kidnapper, she may not have been . . . but I think she knew it wasn't legal.

But the facts will come out eventually, I hope.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Looks like the "mother" was indeed the snatcher- http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41229323...me_and_courts/

vCash
    I hope that Carlina can recover from this and reconnect with her family. When my daughter was born, my huband wouldn't let her out of his sight for this very reason. Nowadays there are smart chip bracelets that alarm when a baby is taken where it should not be.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.