Thread: An Idiot Abroad

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash

An Idiot Abroad

Anyone else seen this? I landed on it by accident while channel surfing Saturday night, and was immediately drawn in because I love anything Ricky Gervais lays his hands on. The bad news is that Ricky (and Stephen Merchant) are only in a few minutes at the beginning of each episode. The good news is ... it's still frickin' hilarious.

The premise: Ricky and Stephen send their friend Karl Pilkington (who's worked with them over the years as writer & producer on their past shows) off to see the great tourist sites of the world. Karl is not the person you'd want travelling with you, or being a tourism ambassador for your country.

If you like the kind of somewhat cringe-inducing humour of Gervais & Merchant's previous work, you should like this. If your humour tastes are pc-sensitive, you will not.

You can catch the beginning of the first episode on YouTube, plus some other clips. In Canada it's airing on Discovery on Friday nights with a few repeats over the weekend; not sure if Discovery in the US is also carrying (imdb says "The Science Channel" ?).

vCash
    Head like a ****ing orange!

If you haven't listened to the old XFM radio broadcasts and the many seasons of the best-selling podcasts of the Ricky Gervais Show - YOU MUST!

An Idiot Abroad is only Ricky and Steve's latest idea to get Karl more attention, and it's quite hilarious (watched when it originally aired on Sky). Although, I think Karl's comments and the manner in which Ricky and Steve crafted the show are probably more comedic with an understanding of the history of the trio's relationship; or at least familiarity with Karl's uniqueness
    Sometimes I think I lost something really important to me, and it turns out I already ate it.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaTurtles View Post
    ... and the many seasons of the best-selling podcasts of the Ricky Gervais Show - YOU MUST! ...
    Season 1 of the Ricky Gervais Show is out on DVD this week. I've seen a few of the clips, but am looking forward to watching it in a more comprehensive manner.

vCash
    I am a big fan of the podcasts so I was very excited when I saw the promo for this series on Discovery. The first episode certainly didn't disappoint! I agree that some background on the trio & their dynamics might help with the enjoyment/understanding of the show but who wouldn't enjoy watching someone experience their first taste of toad

vCash
    I watched the whole series, thanks to the internet. Real-life Homer Simpson is Karl. Although what Ricky does to Karl is somewhat cruel, it sure is funny watching Karl being exposed to what's out there.

to what he sees in some of the countries. If I had to go through what Karl experienced just to travel for free, I would do it in a heartbeat.