vCash

Need explanation on this rule on levels of difficulty in spins

"The following requirements are mandatory for Levels 2 – 4 both in Short Program and in Free Skating:

a) for Spin Combinations with change of foot all 3 basic positions;
    b) for Spins with change of foot at least one basic position on each foot."

I *think* I know what part a) means, but unsure about part b). Clarification on both would be great.

I'm trying to watch competitions and know more about what I'm watching.

Thanks!

vCash
    It means that change foot spins without a camel, sit, or upright or some variation of those positions on each foot can't get any higher than a level one (in junior and senior), so you can't do just an intermediate position on one foot and put the basic positions all on the other foot (if you want higher than a level one). Because skaters and coaches read the rules and plan spins, where you'll usually see it come into play is if a skater doesn't hold the basic position long enough or doesn't get low enough in a sit spin and the spin goes from an intended level 3 or 4 to an automatic level 1.

vCash
    Thanks!

Okay, so to be clear, does this apply to Intermediate programs as well? I was watching programs from Jr. Nationals, and it seemed like almost all the skaters hit all three positions for spin combinations with a change of foot. Didn't know if they *had* to get a sit, camel and upright in the spin for it to get higher than level 1 as well, or...?

And yes, now I see what part b means.

Thank you!

vCash
    Okay...now I'm watching Novice long and no, there are change foot spins without all three positions. I'm confused. Just when I think I'm understanding things, I feel like a complete newbie again!

vCash
    There are slightly different rules from intermediate/novice, and junior/senior. Junior/senior combo spins (in order to get higher than a level one) must have all three basic positions AND a basic position on each foot. Intermediate and novice combo spins must have a basic position on each foot to receive higher than a level one. Intermediate/novice only needs all three basic positions for a level 4.

Remember though that "basic position" can mean any variation of that position, so a catch camel or donut counts as a camel position, a pancake or broken leg counts as a sit, and an I spin or beillman count as an upright; you don't need to do a simple upright, camel, or sit spin ever.

vCash
    Got it! Thank you so much!