Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    didnt he did say something about her still being a virgin for her husband ?
    I understood that as no one had to know.
    Smoke a ciggy and have some fun!!!

vCash
    Yes, but a virgin would be expected to bleed like a stuck pig back then and to feel pain at first. If none of those things happened, a husband might get suspicious about his wife's virtue.

I thiink what he was talking about was probably oral sex.

vCash
    I must admit that I sorta like Lady Mary, or at least I'm trying to sympathize with the frustration of her situation: Born the daughter of an Earl (I know: Boohoo! ), having smoke blown up yer butt your entire life ("Oh Lady Mary Crawley, daughter of an Earl!!!"), but then when the shit hits the fan, you're basically a worthless pawn. Your parents are willing to pimp you out to whoever has the cash to save the entire family, because society and law prevent you from being independent and inheriting your birthright as the eldest child just 'cause you have a vagina.

So, yeah, I can see why she's moody/bitchy/whiney. I would be, too!

I sort of hope that Matthew does something chivalrous and sincere and ultimately wins her over in the last episode. I really can't see him with the younger girls, Edith is a Class A-Jan Brady twat and Sybil is probably just a few years away from running off to Bloomsbury and going down on Virginia Woolf.

Dang, I love this show!

Though the only storyline that really gets me in the gut is Anna and Mr. Bates. When he brought her the tray? Um, yeah, MAJOR teary-eyed pearl-clutching. Then the walk back from the flower show? Uh, SOBBING over here!

And finally: Maggie Smith deserves an Emmy just for the swivel chair scene ALONE!
    Last edited by Fergus; 01-30-2011 at 02:46 PM.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    I do feel like Mary's cranky pants are caused by her situation, at least in part. If she marries someone she loves, I dont think she will be so cold.

Meanwhile, I think Jan is always going to be petty and bitter.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Found an article on Highclere Castle, where they did a lot of the filming.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

following Eden around to the place where we're the only ones who think what we think
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    If it's got a British accent, it's a Masterpiece Classic
    The series is airing on my PBS as a Masterpiece Contemporary
    rather than "classic".

I'm loving it. Thanks to whoever it was who mentioned Lark Rising... hadn't heard of it 'til now and found a link to watch it streaming online. We have some snow days coming up this week, so I'll save them for that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyGray View Post
    The series is airing on my PBS as a Masterpiece Contemporary
    rather than "classic".

D

Well, then they are doing something weird, since Laura Linney is introducing it and that Classic. David Tennant introduces Contemporary.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    I dont want to be spoiled but I hope karma kicks OBrien and Thomas in the a$$ by the end of this
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    At the rate we're going all Mary and Edith will be old maids - with Sybil the only one getting married - and I reckon she'll end up with the cute Irish chauffer!!!

vCash
    O'Brien is an EVIL EVIL SNAKE. Hanging would be too good for her.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    was that the end? they didnt show a scene from next wk, they said that a second season as in production or something

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    O'Brien is an EVIL EVIL SNAKE. Hanging would be too good for her.
    Totally agree - I hope guilt drives her mad

It will be interesting to see how the war changes things. I know there was a romantic illusion in Britain when the war was first declared that is would be over by that Christmas but then the reality set in. I'm sure Sybil will be first to volunteer to help the war effort!!

BTW Mary deserves to be alone - she definitely made a play for Matthew when he saved Sybil - and then allowed her Aunt to talk her into leaving him hanging - now I think about it I could see Matthew and Sybil getting together - thus breaking the cute Irish chauffers heart!!!

Also there is no doubt we are getting some editing here in the US. There are some jumps in continuity that make no sense - as if we've missed a scene or two. And just prior to this episode they did a small pledge drive offering the original "uncut" UK version as a gift. I really don't understand why the US has to make any cuts/editing - it makes no sense but they do it all the time from what I can figure!!

vCash
    I had recorded this show and watched it all this weakened. love it.
    I want to dislike Mary too, but can't.
    My Favs - Sybil (and the chauffeur) Mr Bates & Anna, and Daisy n Thomas
    I am glad Gwen got secretary job, but does that mean she is off the show?
    I don't like Obrien, but with how she felt at the end and Thomas leaving, might be interesting to see heat happens there.
    when will season 2 be shown in the us?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    when will season 2 be shown in the us?
    I'm not even sure it has been shown in the UK yet - in fact it may not even have been made yet!!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    it said it was "in production" still

vCash
    The announcement of WWI is the end of the first series. Series 2 should be aired in the fall, hopefully in the US quickly after that (and I hope this time they keep the original episode structure).

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    that's a long way away. the ending of this one was depressing.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    I'm really looking forward to the war years- I hope they take a lot of time over this fascinating and tragic period in history. Does anyone remember Testament of Youth when it ran many years ago on Masterpiece?

I can see Sybil volunteering as a VAD or nurse. Maybe the Abbey will become a hospital/convalescent home for soldiers? A lot of stately homes did just that. And it would provide some new romance possibilities for the girls. The young men will volunteer of course, and I can see William not lasting long at the front, and maybe not Tom the chauffeur either. I hope Matthew can survive- he'll become an officer though, and they tended to last even less time than the enlisted men.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    that's a long way away. the ending of this one was depressing.
    I really, really wish they hadn't jumped two years. They could've gotten a lot more out of the storylines, and I didn't even understand since it seemed not much had changed.

vCash
    Was anyone else surprised at Anna's apparent LACK of surprise/shock at Bates's having a wife? Or did I miss something and did they say Vera (wife) is dead? I know Anna's veddy veddy much a stiff-upper-lip kinda gal, but given how crazy she is about Bates, you'd think she would have had SOME reaction.

Re O'Brien: I actually felt bad for her after the soap incident. Yikes.

Maybe Thomas will get killed in WWI. But then they'd have to create another eville foil; it just wouldn't be as fun to have ONLY Edith as resident eville character, now that it looks like O'Brien might become human. Mary's somewhat less eville. Just bitchy. There's a difference.

I want more backstory on she-who-misses-nothing Scots head housekeeper.

Maybe Mary will run off with a rich Yank she meets during the war. Or Frog. Or Italian, as referred to in the script. Pasta-eaters.

Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast