Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast
Results 921 to 940 of 1024
  1. #921
    GPF Barcelona here I come
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    Posts
    9,174
    vCash
    334
    Rep Power
    34293
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I LOVED Pillars of the Earth and its sequel, World Without End. It made me sad that no one on the internet seemed to know it existed so I could chat about it! Both had some pretty big stars, too - Matthew Mcfayden, Rufus Sewell, Ian McShane, Eddie Redmayne, Hayley Atwell in PotE, and Cynthia Nixon, Miranda Richardson, Ben Chaplin in WWE.
    I have read the books.. absolutely loved them especially the first one..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

    "Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

  2. #922
    Title-less
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    8,768
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6417
    World without End is now available on Netflix online streaming (planning to watch as soon as there's someone to watch with me)

  3. #923

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,713
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11163
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I LOVED Pillars of the Earth and its sequel, World Without End. It made me sad that no one on the internet seemed to know it existed so I could chat about it! Both had some pretty big stars, too - Matthew Mcfayden, Rufus Sewell, Ian McShane, Eddie Redmayne, Hayley Atwell in PotE, and Cynthia Nixon, Miranda Richardson, Ben Chaplin in WWE.
    I loved them both as well and reread Pillars before reading World Without End. Follett always has to insert his (rather juvenile, IMO) sexual fantasies into his books, but he was rather restrained in these stories, which were so good that the fantasies were easily forgiven.

    But I'm not sure how widely the series was aired in the US and Europe. I thought it was too short to really do the book justice, IMO the book warranted double the episodes.

    Japanfan--have you also seen 'The Tudors'?
    No, because I usually watch series with Mr. Japanfan and he's resistant to the Tudors. Given the recommendations here, perhaps I should suggest it to him again.

    And I don't understand why 'Downton Abbey' isn't suitable for Masterpiece Theater at all or isn't high class. It's a lavish production of a period piece, is very well-written, and features an exceptional ensemble cast. The story and the characters are engaging and draw you in, and the characters are well-developed and multi dimensional.

    That's high class enough for me.

  4. #924

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,511
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42165
    I don't understand why 'Downton Abbey' isn't suitable for Masterpiece Theater at all or isn't high class. It's a lavish production of a period piece, is very well-written, and features an exceptional ensemble cast. The story and the characters are engaging and draw you in, and the characters are well-developed and multi dimensional.

    That's high class enough for me.
    I'm with you!

    I don't understand what some of the "FSU Critic's Circle" expect.
    I've watched, learned from, and enjoyed "Masterpiece Theatre" since it first appeared, 40 years ago,

  5. #925
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,454
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    5546
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post

    No, because I usually watch series with Mr. Japanfan and he's resistant to the Tudors. Given the recommendations here, perhaps I should suggest it to him again.
    As long as he's good with some pretty explicit stuff, he should be fine. Though I note a weird tendency--"The Tudors"/Showtime isn't shy about female nudity, but they're DEFINITELY not doing male full-frontal like "Rome"/HBO.

    I think fewer people are aware of/saw "Pillars of the Earth" in the US because it ran on Starz, a pay channel that I don't think is as popular or widely subscribed as HBO and Showtime, and with "World Without End" it ran on, IIRC, Reelz, which I don't think you get unless you're a DirecTV customer (though I've only had DirecTV for years so I don't know what's on Dish or cable.) Also, I think, to indulge in some TV Tropes-speak, it sometimes slips a bit too far over the line from Medieval costume drama into the Dung Ages (though not even CLOSE to how accurately that's done in the film of "The Name of the Rose") and has a few too many people who appear to be evil For the Evulz (ie with no obvious motivation or redeeming qualities.) The advertising for "World Without End" also lead one to believe seeing "Pillars of the Earth" would help, but since it had run on another channel...

    And I agree with you and skatesindreams, I have no problem whatsoever having Downton on Masterpiece. It's not any more melodramatic than "I, Claudius" or "The Pallisers" or the original "Upstairs Downstairs" (never mind the sequel). I mean, what, does it have to be that incomprehensible depressing mess "South Riding" to be "worthy", or veering towards aggressively quaint like "Lark Rise to Candleford"?

  6. #926
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Picking up my Team Olesya t-shirt
    Posts
    1,168
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    As long as he's good with some pretty explicit stuff, he should be fine. Though I note a weird tendency--"The Tudors"/Showtime isn't shy about female nudity, but they're DEFINITELY not doing male full-frontal like "Rome"/HBO.
    I was just going to post that as long as Mr. Japanfan is okay with gratuitous female nudity, then he'll probably be okay with The Tudors. I think that's the producer's secret plot to draw men into watching The Tudors with their wives/girlfriends.

  7. #927
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    34
    Posts
    7,487
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    But I'm not sure how widely the series was aired in the US and Europe. I thought it was too short to really do the book justice, IMO the book warranted double the episodes.
    And they changed the story quite a lot in World Without End. I thought the changes worked, except they dropped the ball on showing us how Merthin, Caris, Gwenda and Ralph were connected other than just living in the same town.

    Maybe the objection to "Masterpiece Theater" is that it should be reserved for BBC-style films of classic books like Austen and Dickens, not modern-day-written soap operas in period costumes? Not sure what else they'd call DA, though maybe they don't even need to call it anything.

  8. #928

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    10,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33547
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Maybe the objection to "Masterpiece Theater" is that it should be reserved for BBC-style films of classic books like Austen and Dickens, not modern-day-written soap operas in period costumes?
    But the PBS "Masterpiece" franchise has always had a variety of series, not all of them from the so-called "classic" canon. The Duchess of Duke Street wasn't "classic" literature -- it was made-for-TV as was Upstairs, Downstairs, and any other number of programs.

    Not sure what else they'd call DA, though maybe they don't even need to call it anything.
    Well, PBS does have their identified programming "slots" so I think that they want to call it something.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

  9. #929

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,713
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11163
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    And they changed the story quite a lot in World Without End. I thought the changes worked, except they dropped the ball on showing us how Merthin, Caris, Gwenda and Ralph were connected other than just living in the same town.
    I didn't even know they had produce World Without End for TV. Pillars ran on Canadian public TV, not a pay channel, last fall. Did the same producers do World Without End?

  10. #930
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    Posts
    4,795
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I didn't even know they had produce World Without End for TV. Pillars ran on Canadian public TV, not a pay channel, last fall. Did the same producers do World Without End?
    Same producers I believe.

    World without End aired in Canada on Showcase (I think) this past fall IIRC. I personally wasn't impressed, didn't get past the 2nd episode. But then I found the book of WWE to be a complete rehash of Pillars ...

  11. #931
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,454
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    5546
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    I was just going to post that as long as Mr. Japanfan is okay with gratuitous female nudity, then he'll probably be okay with The Tudors. I think that's the producer's secret plot to draw men into watching The Tudors with their wives/girlfriends.
    Meanwhile over on HBO they have NO hesitation about making the men strip. James Purefoy even joked he wished he'd been allowed to wear more clothes as he always seemed to spend 3/4 of any given episode of Rome naked.

  12. #932

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Back in the Finnish forests
    Posts
    4,968
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33576
    Season three ended yesterday here in Finland. I watched the second part of the Christmas Special in high fever and stomach flu. The ending did not make me feel better.


    I have loved this series, but now I am not so sure... The new episodes of Upstairs, Downstairs will start here next week.

  13. #933
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,454
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    5546
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    Season three ended yesterday here in Finland. I watched the second part of the Christmas Special in high fever and stomach flu. The ending did not make me feel better.


    I have loved this series, but now I am not so sure... The new episodes of Upstairs, Downstairs will start here next week.
    Series 2 of UD? Um...I do hope you're over the flu. Remember how series 1 was a lot darker than Downton? Well, even allowing for Downton series 3? The situation has not improved. (Though I AM, in spite of myself, a tad annoyed that they won't get a UD series 3 because a few things get left hanging.)

  14. #934

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Getting drunk with Athos
    Posts
    5,008
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33935
    I think one of the reasons why certain shows are shown on Masterpiece in the US and some are not has to do with the funding money. A lot of the long-running series are partly funded by American PBS money and that means they never have to outright buy the broadcasting rights -or at the very least, it's a lot cheaper than buying a series they never funded. I am watching the Hollow Crown series BBC showed during their Cultural Olympiad on you tube and love it. But I don't think there's much chance of it ever being shown on PBS, or elsewhere on US tv.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A89wTSJ_j8g

    Sorry about the slight tangent, back to DA....

  15. #935
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    227
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    What happens to Bate? I'm feeling a little iffy this season. Sounds like 2 of my favorites will be leaving[QUOTE] Thomas gets on my nerves. I'll stop there.

  16. #936
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,123
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    My faith in Bates never wavered -- that is, my faith in his being innocent didn't. I was/am a bit afraid that he might get into deeper trouble from some prison fight, though. Brendan Coyle is a marvelous as Bates, in my (easily pleased) opinion.
    Actually, I have always thought that he may just be quilty!

  17. #937
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    34
    Posts
    7,487
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Series 2 of UD? Um...I do hope you're over the flu. Remember how series 1 was a lot darker than Downton? Well, even allowing for Downton series 3? The situation has not improved. (Though I AM, in spite of myself, a tad annoyed that they won't get a UD series 3 because a few things get left hanging.)
    I LOVED the reboot of UD - Season 1 was a bit of a DA ripoff, but Season 2 knocks it out of the park. The characters and storylines are 10x more interesting.

  18. #938

    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    2,051
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8493
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I got the complete series DVD set for Christmas...have GORGED on "The Tudors." I think my favorite is series 3-Sarah Bolger is great as Mary and I enjoy watching Cromwell slide towards his appointment with the headsman (though it's a testament to James Frain's acting while I can't stand the character I still feel bad for him). And the costumes! I love costume dramas, though Downton moving into the twenties means it's in a period where I'm not really enamored of the clothes.
    The Tudors also gave as Colin O'Donoghue, who now plays Captain Hook on Once Upon a Time. In fact, pretty much everyone in the Tudors is now in some more recognizable property with two of the actors even being in Downton Abbey (Vera Bates is played by the fabulous Maria Doyle Kennedy who was Catherine of Aragon and Branson is played by Allen Leech who played Francis Dereham).

    BTW, my roommates and I are having a small DA viewing party tonight. Any idea what we could eat besides tea and cucumber sandwiches?

  19. #939
    Official FSU Alte Kacher
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Looking through my D7100 viewfinder
    Posts
    12,064
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20374
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

  20. #940
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,454
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    5546
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    The Tudors also gave as Colin O'Donoghue, who now plays Captain Hook on Once Upon a Time. In fact, pretty much everyone in the Tudors is now in some more recognizable property with two of the actors even being in Downton Abbey (Vera Bates is played by the fabulous Maria Doyle Kennedy who was Catherine of Aragon and Branson is played by Allen Leech who played Francis Dereham).
    At least in Downton poor Allan Leech breaks his streak of playing the guy after an inappropriate woman who does not get the girl. (He was also Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa and in love with Octavia on HBO's "Rome.") It's a weirdly specific sort of typecasting.

Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •