Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

vCash
    I don't think Fellows ever thought beyond season 1. Season 2 was rushed - they could have strung the war out for another series, rather than whipping through 4 years in 1. The show has skipped ahead about 15 years in 3, and yet the character development hasn't.

I get why they had to do it, but it was just so weak. Nothing happened the whole episode, and when that happens, you know there is doom. What more can they do? Edith can't marry editor dude unless his wife dies, and that whole storyline has been done with Bates.

Spoiler

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reuven View Post
    Christopher Stevens thinks it might be best to end it. From what I've heard, I think I agree
    Don't read this article if you want to remain unspoiled which I had been trying to do since season 3 starts airing on PBS on Jan. 6. This article details the entire
    season 3, I am spoiled. lol

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Oops! Sorry about that.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash

Spoiler

And actually, Wyliefan, I'd be fine with Fellowes pulling that one on Lord Peter. I think calling the books/short stories from Gaudy Night on good is only true if you don't do it in comparison to the others. The best Lord Peter books don't involve Harriet.

vCash

Spoiler

Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    I don't think Fellows ever thought beyond season 1. Season 2 was rushed - they could have strung the war out for another series, rather than whipping through 4 years in 1. The show has skipped ahead about 15 years in 3, and yet the character development hasn't.
    Actually it's only 10 years - DA started in 1912 and it's now 1922.

Lack of character development and character continuity is my BIGGEST pet peeve with the show. Gwen the maid leaves and TWO YEARS LATER, here's the "new" maid Ethel on her first day. Despite the tagline that the Christmas special is a year and a half later, Thomas and Jimmy are making evil eyes at each other like their run-in was yesterday.

vCash
    Regarding the Christmas special...

Spoiler

Let It Snow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post

Spoiler

Not sure that can be considered a spoiler, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, just like Hanna.

Spoiler

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post
    Not sure that can be considered a spoiler, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, just like Hanna.

Spoiler

Honestly, if "The Tudors" could figure out a way to deal with writing out the Duke of Norfolk, who was not only a real person but plot-critical to almost everything in seasons 2-3, you would think

Spoiler

Wyliefan: do we need spoiler tags for something based on books that have been out for seventy years? Really, the best Lord Peter books were Lord Peter on his own (forget Lord Peter books; "The Nine Tailors" is arguably one of the greatest mystery novels ever written). Oddly enough I don't find Sayers very good at writing women in general (except the Dowager Duchess of Denver and Lord Peter's elderly assistant). Peter's sister isn't very well-done either (and up until

Spoiler

her taste is men is about as abysmal as Thomas's and Edith's combined). I think I get fed up with Harriet because first, I think she's an idiot for not snapping up the younger son of a duke who JUST SAVED HER LIFE when the opportunity presents itself (he's brilliant, he's wildly in love, he's comfortable settled without having to be the duke himself, he JUST SAVED YOU FROM

Spoiler

, what more could a sane person possibly want?) and the television versions of her stories just not being very good. And then the continued stories after "Gaudy Night" just feel like...oh, I'm writing these because I have to, not because I actually have any good ideas about what to do. (I'm not including the modern novels; I haven't read them.)

vCash
    Wyliefan: do we need spoiler tags for something based on books that have been out for seventy years? Really, the best Lord Peter books were Lord Peter on his own (forget Lord Peter books; "The Nine Tailors" is arguably one of the greatest mystery novels ever written). Oddly enough I don't find Sayers very good at writing women in general (except the Dowager Duchess of Denver and Lord Peter's elderly assistant). Peter's sister isn't very well-done either (and up until

Spoiler

her taste is men is about as abysmal as Thomas's and Edith's combined). I think I get fed up with Harriet because first, I think she's an idiot for not snapping up the younger son of a duke who JUST SAVED HER LIFE when the opportunity presents itself (he's brilliant, he's wildly in love, he's comfortable settled without having to be the duke himself, he JUST SAVED YOU FROM

Spoiler

, what more could a sane person possibly want?) and the television versions of her stories just not being very good. And then the continued stories after "Gaudy Night" just feel like...oh, I'm writing these because I have to, not because I actually have any good ideas about what to do. (I'm not including the modern novels; I haven't read them.)
    I couldn't possibly disagree more, about any of this, so we'll just have to agree to disagree! As for the spoiler tags, I used them because we were talking about

Spoiler

Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Let It Snow
    vCash
    Honestly, if "The Tudors" could figure out a way to deal with writing out the Duke of Norfolk, who was not only a real person but plot-critical to almost everything in seasons 2-3, you would think

Spoiler

Spoiler

vCash
    I think the fact the actors aren't all signed for 5 years like a lot of actors are in US tv shows just really proves that they didn't think it would go for more than 1 season. It was the unexpected runaway hit of the year, and everything since has felt like an afterthought. I watched season 1 again recently with a friend, and watching season straight after was a huge disappointment

The writing was consistently week.

Spoiler

Sorry, I'm just bitter!
    Last edited by *Jen*; 12-29-2012 at 01:32 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Sure I liked this person on the show, but, I will enjoy the show even without him. There are so many characters that are great to watch on the show that I will still love it for as many years as they want to make it.
    It's the best thing that has been on tv for many years.

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash

Spoiler

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post

Spoiler

Spoiler

vCash
    My best friend and my cousin have both just gotten into the show, and they're both all chipper and excited for series 3 (being completely unspoiled), and all I can think is, "Oh, you poor things."

vCash
    I'm not sure all I'm about to say needs spoilers but I'll put it there just in case.

Spoiler

Let It Snow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    I'm not sure all I'm about to say needs spoilers but I'll put it there just in case.
    Oh, it's everyone's doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post

Spoiler

Spoiler

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    My best friend and my cousin have both just gotten into the show, and they're both all chipper and excited for series 3 (being completely unspoiled), and all I can think is, "Oh, you poor things."
    I'm totally excited for season 3 but now am alarmed by your comment? We just watched both seasons and the xmas special over the xmas break and we totally loved it! I must find out if we get the channel it is on starting on Sunday.. if not is it easy to find it online after it has aired?? The house I grew up in England.. had maid quarters with bells in the lower floor (a 21 room house).. my parents used to rent out the 'downstairs'.. didn't look anything like Downton of course.. I guess would be considered 'middle class'.. LOL..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    I'm totally excited for season 3 but now am alarmed by your comment?
    Arrgh, sorry. Sometimes I don't use spoiler tags for vague things, and then I realize I should've.

Let's just say there are a lot of ups and downs during the season.

Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast