Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 861 to 880 of 1024
  1. #861

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11,382
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2434
    I don't think Fellows ever thought beyond season 1. Season 2 was rushed - they could have strung the war out for another series, rather than whipping through 4 years in 1. The show has skipped ahead about 15 years in 3, and yet the character development hasn't.

    I get why they had to do it, but it was just so weak. Nothing happened the whole episode, and when that happens, you know there is doom. What more can they do? Edith can't marry editor dude unless his wife dies, and that whole storyline has been done with Bates.

    Spoiler

    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

  2. #862

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,532
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2492
    Quote Originally Posted by Reuven View Post
    Christopher Stevens thinks it might be best to end it. From what I've heard, I think I agree
    Don't read this article if you want to remain unspoiled which I had been trying to do since season 3 starts airing on PBS on Jan. 6. This article details the entire
    season 3, I am spoiled. lol

  3. #863
    Official FSU Alte Kacher
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Looking through my D7100 viewfinder
    Posts
    11,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5696
    Oops! Sorry about that.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

  4. #864
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,361
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    2442

    Spoiler



    And actually, Wyliefan, I'd be fine with Fellowes pulling that one on Lord Peter. I think calling the books/short stories from Gaudy Night on good is only true if you don't do it in comparison to the others. The best Lord Peter books don't involve Harriet.

  5. #865

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,269
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Spoiler

    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

  6. #866
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    7,457
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I don't think Fellows ever thought beyond season 1. Season 2 was rushed - they could have strung the war out for another series, rather than whipping through 4 years in 1. The show has skipped ahead about 15 years in 3, and yet the character development hasn't.
    Actually it's only 10 years - DA started in 1912 and it's now 1922.

    Lack of character development and character continuity is my BIGGEST pet peeve with the show. Gwen the maid leaves and TWO YEARS LATER, here's the "new" maid Ethel on her first day. Despite the tagline that the Christmas special is a year and a half later, Thomas and Jimmy are making evil eyes at each other like their run-in was yesterday.

  7. #867

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,013
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    368
    Regarding the Christmas special...

    Spoiler


  8. #868
    Let It Snow
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,674
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post

    Spoiler

    Not sure that can be considered a spoiler, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, just like Hanna.

    Spoiler


  9. #869
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,361
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    2442
    Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post
    Not sure that can be considered a spoiler, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, just like Hanna.

    Spoiler

    Honestly, if "The Tudors" could figure out a way to deal with writing out the Duke of Norfolk, who was not only a real person but plot-critical to almost everything in seasons 2-3, you would think

    Spoiler



    Wyliefan: do we need spoiler tags for something based on books that have been out for seventy years? Really, the best Lord Peter books were Lord Peter on his own (forget Lord Peter books; "The Nine Tailors" is arguably one of the greatest mystery novels ever written). Oddly enough I don't find Sayers very good at writing women in general (except the Dowager Duchess of Denver and Lord Peter's elderly assistant). Peter's sister isn't very well-done either (and up until

    Spoiler

    her taste is men is about as abysmal as Thomas's and Edith's combined). I think I get fed up with Harriet because first, I think she's an idiot for not snapping up the younger son of a duke who JUST SAVED HER LIFE when the opportunity presents itself (he's brilliant, he's wildly in love, he's comfortable settled without having to be the duke himself, he JUST SAVED YOU FROM

    Spoiler

    , what more could a sane person possibly want?) and the television versions of her stories just not being very good. And then the continued stories after "Gaudy Night" just feel like...oh, I'm writing these because I have to, not because I actually have any good ideas about what to do. (I'm not including the modern novels; I haven't read them.)

  10. #870

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,269
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Wyliefan: do we need spoiler tags for something based on books that have been out for seventy years? Really, the best Lord Peter books were Lord Peter on his own (forget Lord Peter books; "The Nine Tailors" is arguably one of the greatest mystery novels ever written). Oddly enough I don't find Sayers very good at writing women in general (except the Dowager Duchess of Denver and Lord Peter's elderly assistant). Peter's sister isn't very well-done either (and up until

    Spoiler

    her taste is men is about as abysmal as Thomas's and Edith's combined). I think I get fed up with Harriet because first, I think she's an idiot for not snapping up the younger son of a duke who JUST SAVED HER LIFE when the opportunity presents itself (he's brilliant, he's wildly in love, he's comfortable settled without having to be the duke himself, he JUST SAVED YOU FROM

    Spoiler

    , what more could a sane person possibly want?) and the television versions of her stories just not being very good. And then the continued stories after "Gaudy Night" just feel like...oh, I'm writing these because I have to, not because I actually have any good ideas about what to do. (I'm not including the modern novels; I haven't read them.)
    I couldn't possibly disagree more, about any of this, so we'll just have to agree to disagree! As for the spoiler tags, I used them because we were talking about

    Spoiler

    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

  11. #871
    Let It Snow
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,674
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Honestly, if "The Tudors" could figure out a way to deal with writing out the Duke of Norfolk, who was not only a real person but plot-critical to almost everything in seasons 2-3, you would think

    Spoiler

    Spoiler


  12. #872

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11,382
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2434
    I think the fact the actors aren't all signed for 5 years like a lot of actors are in US tv shows just really proves that they didn't think it would go for more than 1 season. It was the unexpected runaway hit of the year, and everything since has felt like an afterthought. I watched season 1 again recently with a friend, and watching season straight after was a huge disappointment

    The writing was consistently week.

    Spoiler



    Sorry, I'm just bitter!
    Last edited by *Jen*; 12-29-2012 at 01:32 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

  13. #873
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,097
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Sure I liked this person on the show, but, I will enjoy the show even without him. There are so many characters that are great to watch on the show that I will still love it for as many years as they want to make it.
    It's the best thing that has been on tv for many years.

  14. #874
    Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    3,343
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1851

    Spoiler


  15. #875

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Home in England!!
    Posts
    2,243
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post

    Spoiler

    Spoiler


  16. #876

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,269
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    My best friend and my cousin have both just gotten into the show, and they're both all chipper and excited for series 3 (being completely unspoiled), and all I can think is, "Oh, you poor things."
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

  17. #877

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    1,931
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    1626
    I'm not sure all I'm about to say needs spoilers but I'll put it there just in case.

    Spoiler


  18. #878
    Let It Snow
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,674
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    I'm not sure all I'm about to say needs spoilers but I'll put it there just in case.
    Oh, it's everyone's doubt.


    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post

    Spoiler

    Spoiler


  19. #879
    GPF Barcelona here I come
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    Posts
    9,133
    vCash
    334
    Rep Power
    13504
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    My best friend and my cousin have both just gotten into the show, and they're both all chipper and excited for series 3 (being completely unspoiled), and all I can think is, "Oh, you poor things."
    I'm totally excited for season 3 but now am alarmed by your comment? We just watched both seasons and the xmas special over the xmas break and we totally loved it! I must find out if we get the channel it is on starting on Sunday.. if not is it easy to find it online after it has aired?? The house I grew up in England.. had maid quarters with bells in the lower floor (a 21 room house).. my parents used to rent out the 'downstairs'.. didn't look anything like Downton of course.. I guess would be considered 'middle class'.. LOL..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

    "Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

  20. #880

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,269
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    I'm totally excited for season 3 but now am alarmed by your comment?
    Arrgh, sorry. Sometimes I don't use spoiler tags for vague things, and then I realize I should've.

    Let's just say there are a lot of ups and downs during the season.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •