Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

vCash
    Can "lightening" strike twice?

'Downton Abbey' Creator Julian Fellowes to Write and Produce 'The Gilded Age' for NBC
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...ytheNumbers%29

vCash
    I hope the new show is good, but I don't have high hopes, lol. But we shall see! It'll be a lot less classy, though. Less Dowager and more scandal.

vCash
    ^^totally
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    I've seen the third serie and liked it!
    When I was watching, I didn't know how many episodes there were, so I realized I had seen the season finale only after I had already seen it: I was so blue to have to wait so long for season four.
    They don't really leave big cliffhungers open, but there's quite a mistery to be revealed.

I read they are going for another season, and possibly a season five too, but they will wrap up the show before it gets too long.

vCash
    There's going to be a Christmas episode, which I believe airs on Christmas day

That will have to hold us over until next year!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I think England abolished something entail related in 1925, but I have no idea what year it is in Downton Land, just that it's after WW1.
    Oh, geez, I just read the Dorothy Sayers where that's a plot point...1926? Someone had to commit murder so the victim died before the law came into effect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    There's going to be a Christmas episode, which I believe airs on Christmas day

That will have to hold us over until next year!
    Forgot about the Christmas episode. If they're having Christmas on the show too, I believe a family dinner will be the perfect trigger for tensions, and we may know about the mistery.

Spoiler

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Oh, geez, I just read the Dorothy Sayers where that's a plot point...1926? Someone had to commit murder so the victim died before the law came into effect.
    Right, Unnatural Death.

Spoiler

But was that the entail law, or a different law?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I believe that was the entail law, or lumped in with the same part of it--revised all the inheritance laws and because in that case there was another relative, if the great-aunt died BEFORE the law changed, the inheritance went one way, but after January 1 it would have gone to

Spoiler

So by the end of the twenties at the very latest, the Earl (be it the current Earl or Matthew after he inherits) could make a will leaving the MONEY and property to anyone he wants. The title might be a different matter (another Lord Peter Wimsey example, during "Clouds of Witness" one reason Peter's so motivated to clear his brother the Duke of Denver on the murder charge is, besides not wanting to see him hanged, at the time Gerald didn't have a son (or any children, IIRC), meaning if he died, the title and responsibility pass to Peter. So the title Earl would pass to whoever the closest appropriate relative would be, even if the money and lands didn't go with it, or be declared vacant and revert to the crown if there weren't an heir.

vCash
    Interesting to see the Peter Wimsey series and Downton coincide like that (if "coincide" is the word I want!).
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Well, Downton's now crossed into the same interbellum period as the Lord Peter books! (See, they totally need him and Bunter to show up because he would straighten out this whole mess with Bates tout suite!)

vCash
    Anyone watch the Christmas Special yesterday?

Spoiler

vCash
    I watched it. I liked it.

Spoiler

vCash
    Well, Downton's now crossed into the same interbellum period as the Lord Peter books! (See, they totally need him and Bunter to show up because he would straighten out this whole mess with Bates tout suite!)
    Yeah, but the thought of Fellowes trying to write Lord Peter . . .

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Yeah, but the thought of Fellowes trying to write Lord Peter . . .
    He couldn't possibly be weaker than the old productions (much as I adored Ian Carmichael's performances, the scripts were...well....and the Harriet-Vane focused ones without him were just completely forgettable.) Though I'd have the same reservations as about "The Gilded Age". Downton Abbey is great. Gosford Park was great. Titanic was...seriously, WTH? It's like they filmed the outline instead of the script.

At the least, if a Lord Peter/Downton fic doesn't exist, it should.

vCash
    He couldn't possibly be weaker than the old productions (much as I adored Ian Carmichael's performances, the scripts were...well....and the Harriet-Vane focused ones without him were just completely forgettable.)
    Oh, yes, he could.

Spoiler

vCash
    Watched the Christmas special. It wasn't a Christmas special, it was a special shown on Christmas and IMO, was so bad they should have just ended the show last series. Or perhaps series 2. Shame I can't un-see it
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    Watched the Christmas special. It wasn't a Christmas special, it was a special shown on Christmas and IMO, was so bad they should have just ended the show last series. Or perhaps series 2. Shame I can't un-see it
    It was incredibly boring right up until the end. I was actually quite disappointed with the Christmas special. I'm not really sure where the show can go from this point on.

Spoiler

"If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Christopher Stevens thinks it might be best to end it. From what I've heard, I think I agree.
    NOTE:Spoiler alert!!!!
    Last edited by Reuven; 12-28-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash

Spoiler

I think having to adapt scripts when people impersonating key characters decide they want out never ends up well. The industry should have figured out a better way to deal with these issues by now.

Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast