Page 36 of 52 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

vCash
    ^^^
    This!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Especially when they note ITV hasn't even commissioned a 4th or 5th series yet so there may not be anything to come back to! And all the cast are back for series 3. Basically, a few actors are committed in advance, while others are apparently waiting.

Though really, while I'd be ANNOYED TO PIECES if instead of letting them be reasonably happy they saddled up the drama llama again and got rid of Matthew, if the series is REALLY aiming to end around WWII, they can't reasonably keep the Dowager Countess around forever.
    They can keep the actors they want as long as they want - they can always do flashbacks and prequels. If people leave, they can just bring in new actors as younger versions or long lost relatives, or whatever. They can even bring people back from the dead in dreams and hallucinations. Soaps have no limits, although I'm guess Downton Abbey won't go the cryogenics or vampire route.

vCash
    I don't want Mary without Matthew. Period.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    They can keep the actors they want as long as they want - they can always do flashbacks and prequels. If people leave, they can just bring in new actors as younger versions or long lost relatives, or whatever. They can even bring people back from the dead in dreams and hallucinations. Soaps have no limits, although I'm guess Downton Abbey won't go the cryogenics or vampire route.
    I could vote for cryogenics if it means keeping Violet around.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I could vote for cryogenics if it means keeping Violet around.
    There's good potential if they were to go the vampire route, as well. Violet the Coven Mistress? They have to keep Maggie Smith around if they know what's good for the show.

vCash
    How about they have her play a older version of her Daughter?

vCash
    Dame Maggie's a smart old dame (), she's probably holding out for more dough.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    As much as I love Downton Abbey ... I really hope they don't try to drag things on forever. The greatest thing about BritTV over AmericanTV is that, traditionally, British series go for quality over quantity -- 6 to 12 episodes a season, rarely more than 3 seasons and sometimes not even that. There's the odd series that breaks the rule successfully (Midsomer comes to mind), but the others that try to drag on end up just dragging (Heartbeat, BallyK, and Monarch of the Glen to name but 3).

I'd much rather Downton Abbey go out on a high note than try to cash in on its popularity and go on indefinitely.

vCash
    Now that's Mary's situation is "settled" and all is right with that part of the world, I hope we see Edith and that older widower who injured his arm in the war get together.

More because I like his character then hers, lol.

Regarding the likelihood of my earlier post, I'm just glad to have had a reason to bump up this thread
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    As much as I love Downton Abbey ... I really hope they don't try to drag things on forever. The greatest thing about BritTV over AmericanTV is that, traditionally, British series go for quality over quantity -- 6 to 12 episodes a season, rarely more than 3 seasons and sometimes not even that. There's the odd series that breaks the rule successfully (Midsomer comes to mind), but the others that try to drag on end up just dragging (Heartbeat, BallyK, and Monarch of the Glen to name but 3).

I'd much rather Downton Abbey go out on a high note than try to cash in on its popularity and go on indefinitely.
    I know what you mean. That is why I liked the British "The Office" better. Once Tim and Dawn got together it ended. That was what we were waiting to find out. We also didn't have to wade through all the time they were apart.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    They can't if the actors don't sign. (And for all the 'soapy' elements I'd hope they have a better standard for plots than the "vaguely similar twin brother" route. It's Downton Abbey, not Coronation Street.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    "Où sont les neiges d'antan?..." = "Where are the snows of yesteryear?..."
    IIRC, this is a line from a 15th century French poem by Francois Villon.

vCash
    They can't if the actors don't sign. (And for all the 'soapy' elements I'd hope they have a better standard for plots than the "vaguely similar twin brother" route. It's Downton Abbey, not Coronation Street.)
    They have gone for most of the standard soap cliches so far. Crippled for life/but not really, amnesia victim, romantic interest/but not really (Lavinia), appealingly rich but appallingly crooked suitor (Sir Richard), perpetual bad timing (he wants her/she doesn't want him, oh wait she does, but now he doesn't).

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    They have gone for most of the standard soap cliches so far. Crippled for life/but not really, amnesia victim, romantic interest/but not really (Lavinia), appealingly rich but appallingly crooked suitor (Sir Richard), perpetual bad timing (he wants her/she doesn't want him, oh wait she does, but now he doesn't).
    Sort of, but not with the usual writing or acting level that implies. (And DEFINITELY not the production value.) Plus allowing the actors/characters to age, die, etc. And there hasn't been anything completely implausible. The reason "Patrick" even gets a toehold in is because, while his post-Titanic amnesia story is a hard sell, being mutliated beyond physical recognition? Take a number, guy, this is World War I. Plus, Matthew's injury was plausible if improbable. Meanwhile Bates/Anna is less soap opera than the plot of one of any number of vaguely inter-war-period mystery novels. (Seriously, at this point I would totally believe Lord Peter Wimsey showing up at Downton to straighten it all out.) And, of course, finally someone uses the Spanish Flu (which DID kill you just that fast) besides freakin' Twilight.

My biggest issue with the Ouija board, meanwhile, isn't that it was 'helpful' (Mrs. Patmore was BLATANTLY pushing it for Daisy's "message", while with Anna, it could very well be someone's subconscious.) It was that apparently the spirits of Downton are champion speed-spellers.

And so far, they have NOT tried to pull an actor switch. And characters who leave, leave, at least as far as people like Gwen go. (And Jane and Ethel, one can hope. In a soap they'd be all the same character anyway.)

vCash
    Sort of, but not with the usual writing or acting level that implies. (And DEFINITELY not the production value.) Plus allowing the actors/characters to age, die, etc. And there hasn't been anything completely implausible. The reason "Patrick" even gets a toehold in is because, while his post-Titanic amnesia story is a hard sell, being mutliated beyond physical recognition? Take a number, guy, this is World War I. Plus, Matthew's injury was plausible if improbable. Meanwhile Bates/Anna is less soap opera than the plot of one of any number of vaguely inter-war-period mystery novels. (Seriously, at this point I would totally believe Lord Peter Wimsey showing up at Downton to straighten it all out.) And, of course, finally someone uses the Spanish Flu (which DID kill you just that fast) besides freakin' Twilight.

My biggest issue with the Ouija board, meanwhile, isn't that it was 'helpful' (Mrs. Patmore was BLATANTLY pushing it for Daisy's "message", while with Anna, it could very well be someone's subconscious.) It was that apparently the spirits of Downton are champion speed-spellers.

And so far, they have NOT tried to pull an actor switch. And characters who leave, leave, at least as far as people like Gwen go. (And Jane and Ethel, one can hope. In a soap they'd be all the same character anyway.)
    I'll give you the production values and the acting, but I'm disappointed in the writing. I think it would be a more interesting drama if some of the character's choices had lasting consequences and they had to deal with it.

vCash
    Apparently Downton Abbey and cast were a huge hit at the Television Critics Association convention in Beverly Hills yesterday. They didn't reveal a lot about season three but that it will return on PBS January 6th, and that there are one or two moments.

But the best part, IMO? FREE BATES! Scroll down for the pic...totally worth it.

Living in a Snark
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post
    But the best part, IMO? FREE BATES! Scroll down for the pic...totally worth it.
    Loved it!
    D&S 2006 and 2007 World Gold Medalists

vCash
    Thanks for the chuckle!

vCash
    January can't come soon enough!

vCash
    (Seriously, at this point I would totally believe Lord Peter Wimsey showing up at Downton to straighten it all out.)
    Oh, I wish!!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Page 36 of 52 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast