Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I agree he was a fraud and split when he saw that he was not successfully convining anyone but Edith.

Jeez - Edith can't catch a break when it comes to her love life.

They've set up so many things in this episode that will surely reverberate in future episodes: 1) Vera's death 2) Matthew "feels something below", 3) Sir Richard's threat over Mary, 4) Sybil and the chauffeur's growing relationship. It's like suddenly everything is much "soapier" than before. Lacking in the gentle finesse that I so enjoyed. But it's still worth watching.
    Last edited by Bostonfan; 02-06-2012 at 02:59 PM.

vCash
    I know the heir's the the thing and all, but I'n really tired of this Matthew/Mary storyline (will they/won't they, is he/isn't he). Neither one of them has a scintillating personality or is particulary likeable, and the times are a changing so all this tradition is becoming irrelevant. I find the plots involving the younger daughters more interesting, but they seemed doomed to minor roles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i'm assuming fraud, i was hoping he was real
    But even if you had a head injury following the sinking of the Titanic wouldn't you wake up and still speak with a British accent? Even after a few years in Canada the accent would still be there. I thought he was a fraud for this reason.

Quadless
    vCash
    The acquisition or loss of an accent usually depend on the age of the person at the time of the change. If he was in his 20's or older, then yes, he should have kept his original accent, or at least traces of it. If he was younger, he would have most likely lost his original accent.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    It could also be that he has no confidence in the family's interest in discovering the truth, and may reappear with a court challenge to the will when the patriarch dies.

vCash
    Of course, I looked away from the screen right when the "heir" made the gesture that caught the Earl's eye. What was it, and did we see any indication that it was purposeful?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    Of course, I looked away from the screen right when the "heir" made the gesture that caught the Earl's eye. What was it, and did we see any indication that it was purposeful?
    It seemed an indication that Matthew might have felt something in his lower body. He started to say something and then stopped.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    It seemed an indication that Matthew might have felt something in his lower body. He started to say something and then stopped.
    I think znachki was referring to the gesture that "Peter/Patrick Gordon" made -- i.e. a sort of wiping/swiping of his upper lip with his finger/hand. From his reaction, I took it to be a gesture that Lord Grantham recalled Patrick doing and thus something that would support his story and claims.

vCash
    No, not that one, that I caught. When Grantham is talking to Gordon, he made some gesture (I think) and the Earl said something like - where did you learn to do that?

vCash
    But Peter could have seen Patrick do it and work it into his "act." Whatever the outcome: Will Edith EVER find love? It must be hard to be sandwiched between sisters that SNL referred to as hot and very hot.

vCash
    No, not that one, that I caught. When Grantham is talking to Gordon, he made some gesture (I think) and the Earl said something like - where did you learn to do that?
    It looked like he ran his index finger over his lower lip. Perhaps Patrick had a habit of doing that?

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    So let me get this straight:

Peter met Patrick on the Titanic and they became friendly?
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    But even if you had a head injury following the sinking of the Titanic wouldn't you wake up and still speak with a British accent? Even after a few years in Canada the accent would still be there. I thought he was a fraud for this reason.
    A bit off topic. I work with a man (now a quadraplegic) who is American but went to a Spanish speaking country for a couple of years. A few years after he came home he was in a terrible car crash and in a coma for some time. When he came out of the coma he could only speak Spanish. He had to re-learn his English. The strangest things can happen with head injuries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Plus, if he were real he probably would have stuck around a little longer. Seems like once all the talk of London attorneys investigating him came up, he split.
    I think he'll be back. I'm wondering how much is going to be left hanging when these episodes are over. Aren't they making more?

vCash
    It looked like he ran his index finger over his lower lip. Perhaps Patrick had a habit of doing that?
    Thanks!

Re Peter/Patrick - I thought they worked together, or something. It's quite possible that even if he was an imposter, that it didn't actually know it. Traumatic head injury and all.

I'm sure that he'll be back eventually. If not, that was really nothing more than filler. Which seems unlikely.

On another subject. That new maid is trouble. Grantham is looking at her a bit too closely...

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Ah. Noticed that, did you?
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash

On another subject. That new maid is trouble. Grantham is looking at her a bit too closely...

Yes, he is.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    Yes, he is.
    Oh, I'm sure he's just taking a "fatherly" interest in her and her son.

vCash
    I thought he was also. An Affair with a maid? Getting more soapy by the minute.
    I think Peter/Patrick is a fraud. He ran pretty fast when he knew that they had found out that he was a friend of Patrick.
    I have been thinking lately that Cora is changing and not for the better.
    The first season she seemed like a sweet person, now she seems cold and unfeeling where others are concerned. I am not liking her so much now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Latte View Post
    I have been thinking lately that Cora is changing and not for the better.The first season she seemed like a sweet person, now she seems cold and unfeeling where others are concerned. I am not liking her so much now.
    Well, she's got three daughters to get married off, and I think that is part of what is driving her. That, and the fact that she's got Satan - in the guise of O'Brien whispering in her ear all the time

Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast