Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    *clamps mouth down to avoid spoilers*

Livia's not out of the picture. But I think she's really more Mary's morality pet than Matthew's fiance--we knew nothing about her, she appears out of nowhere, and then...she's really sweet. And I think Mary treating her nicely including resisting attempts to undermine their engagement (while getting mired deeper and deeper in one she's at best got mixed feelings about) lets Mary seem nicer and definitely more mature.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I thought Lavinia was out of the picture. He sent her packing and she meekly acquiesed. Maybe Matthew and Mary can adopt Ethel's baby, then they will have an heir, black moustache can suddenly claim paternal rights and the drama can continue.

I still think Matthew is too morally pure for Mary. A year after they were married she would be bored to death. The only thing that keeps it going is that she can't have him.
    I'm not reading spoilers so I don't know what the future holds though I would be shocked to see Matthew with anyone else but Mary. I'm just glad his most current "girl" was not "evil" in counterpoint to Mary's "good." And though the romantic in me would hope Matthew and Mary would be happy together I've read where affairs among the very rich/aristocracy were oh so common and accepted. But Matthew is more from the upper middle class and-as you mentioned--morally pure. He probably wouldn't accept the practice. Maybe the chase is bigger than the catch though I hope not.

I wonder about Julian Fellowes and some of the themes he explored in "Gosford Park" and is following in DA. The baby is one of them. If I remember correctly two sisters both fathered children out of wedlock by their employer at Gosford Park. One put her child up for adoption and the other kept her child who eventually sickened and died. Ethel is not sympathetic and is receiving little help. I guess I give Fellowes credit for not making Ethel adorable or have the baby scooped for a life of a little lord because Cora remains despondent about a miscarriage (she seems fine.) At this point I wonder whether Ethel and her son will even survive the flu epidemic which must rear it's ugly head at some point.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    I thought Lavinia was out of the picture. He sent her packing and she meekly acquiesed. Maybe Matthew and Mary can adopt Ethel's baby, then they will have an heir, black moustache can suddenly claim paternal rights and the drama can continue.
    An adopted child cannot inherit the title or the entailed fortune- it must go to an "heir of the body" of Matthew.

However, assuming Matthew doesn't recover, if he and Mary married and she had a son by someone else, the child would be considered legitimate as long as Matthew acknowledged it as his own- this was before DNA testing.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    One thing I'm happy about is that Lavinia's character is not a Mrs. Bates in nicer clothing. I like that she honestly loves Matthew. Though of course I want to see Matthew and Lady Mary together.
    IMO, the best soap opera love triangles involve two equally worthy choices. Lady Mary is Downton Abbey's heroine. She's beautiful, spirited and the eldest daughter of an earl. She loves Matthew but wasn't sure she could settle for being the wife of a Manchester solicitor. Lavinia is a nice young woman who loves Matthew and considers him a great catch. The one questionable action in her past was motivated by her love for and loyalty to her father. Both women could probably make Matthew happy but I'm not sure he could make Lady Mary happy over the long haul.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    There's something a bit Austen-esque about Lady Mary. She started out as a spoiled snob, looking down at Matthew and his mom, being dismissive of her sister, eying men for their social status. She's had some sense and values knocked into her, which is what makes her interesting.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    There's something a bit Austen-esque about Lady Mary. She started out as a spoiled snob, looking down at Matthew and his mom, being dismissive of her sister, eying men for their social status. She's had some sense and values knocked into her, which is what makes her interesting.
    I hadn't thought about it this way. If Matthew and Lady Mary wind up together, her personal growth will make it all the more sweeter for the audience.

vCash
    bates went to jail to cover up for his first wife- that was pretty nice- i thought (casue it was never said) tht he got out of jail and she was gone..... nice- he takes the rap for her and she takes all his money!!!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Maybe Matthew and Mary can adopt Ethel's baby, then they will have an heir, black moustache can suddenly claim paternal rights and the drama can continue.
    That's "Major Moustache" to you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    The war is sweeping away the old social order. All of the sisters are changing. Their futures are no longer guaranteed simply by following the rules. They are learning what it is to survive in the moment and use their wits. They can't take anyone or anything for granted anymore.

vCash
    I thought the new maid had an interesting reaction when someone shared the story of Ethel with her, as though she, too, is NOT a widow.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    That was my thinking, too.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    She's really a widow. But you're right, they're foreshadowing something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    She's really a widow. But you're right, they're foreshadowing something.
    As Mrs. Hughes said to Ethel about the new maid, "they believe her"

vCash
    Downton actors onscreen and off.

at Mrs. Hughes. Although they really could have found a nicer "modern" picture for Edith - she looks fabulous in these for example.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyN View Post
    Downton actors onscreen and off.

at Mrs. Hughes. Although they really could have found a nicer "modern" picture for Edith - she looks fabulous in these for example.
    Awww, the pic of Mr. Bates holding the itty-bitty baby is so cute. Ethel's off-screen photo is rather fitting considering her behavior while at Downton Abbey. Poor Edith is wearing one of the ugliest/least flattering dresses I have ever seen. Carson on a bike (in biking shorts) was certainly a change -- and the on/off screen photos of Pharoah and Isis were .

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    love the gif of dame maggie!

the "hot scowling" one of matthew and mary is really easy on the eyes
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash
    LOL - The on/off screen photos of Isis

I remember Hugh Bonneville from his role in Notting Hill. I recall the dinner scene so clearly when he said (as his character) that he'd never get a girlfriend and "if these cheeks get any fatter I never will". I remember thinking, I'll be your girlfriend! He was so cute in that movie and he's even more handsome now that he's older.

vCash
    Would never in a million years have recognized Mrs. Hughes. They all look great. I've been trying to figure out who Lavinia reminds me of, and I think it's Nicole Kidman, only with fuller lips.

vCash
    Mrs. Hughes' and O'Brien's transformations are amazing!

(There's a little Mama Fergus-ness in off-screen Mrs. Patmore, so the old dear gets a special from moi! )

James-Collier needs to keep the beard and move to NYC and become my British hipster footman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    LOL - The on/off screen photos of Isis

I remember Hugh Bonneville from his role in Notting Hill. I recall the dinner scene so clearly when he said (as his character) that he'd never get a girlfriend and "if these cheeks get any fatter I never will". I remember thinking, I'll be your girlfriend! He was so cute in that movie and he's even more handsome now that he's older.
    I had watched him recently and it took me awhile to place him: It was in a movie called "Stage Beauty" when British females were finally allowed to take the stage instead of males playing all of the parts. Wonderful film---not sure why it didn't make a dent at the box office.

Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast