Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    There's something about Mrs. Bates that reminds me of Margaret Hamilton in the Wizard of Oz. "I'll get you yet, my pretty."
    YES

she is like her more attractive, equally bitter, less green sister
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    YES

she is like her more attractive, equally bitter, less green sister
    I keep looking at her because I can't believe she was the same person as the Queen (one of them) in "The Tudors." And I have not looked on IMDB yet but was she in "The Commitments?" I just saw that recently and she looked so much like one of the singers. ( I loved their affirmation: "I'm black and I'm proud")

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    I keep looking at her because I can't believe she was the same person as the Queen (one of them) in "The Tudors."
    Maria Doyle Kennedy. She played Katherine of Aragon, Henry VIII's first wife. Both series, she's the unwanted first wife, but Katherine was definitely the wronged party and Vera...not so much. I think the implication is she's mentally unstable (like nowdays would probably be on half the psychopharmaceuticals on the market, and she does sound at least bipolar) and at first Bates was protecting her, but now he really just wants rid of her. I'm not getting why it's taking so long at this point--if she WAS unfaithful then in 1918 he's got easy grounds for an uncontested divorce.

vCash
    I keep looking at her because I can't believe she was the same person as the Queen (one of them) in "The Tudors." And I have not looked on IMDB yet but was she in "The Commitments?" I just saw that recently and she looked so much like one of the singers. ( I loved their affirmation: "I'm black and I'm proud")
    YES she was in the committments! that is where i recognised her from good job!
    i just want the first mrs bates GONE! i so love anna and bates

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Maria Doyle Kennedy. She played Katherine of Aragon, Henry VIII's first wife. Both series, she's the unwanted first wife, but Katherine was definitely the wronged party and Vera....
    Wow, for some reason I didn't recognize Maria Doyle Kennedy.

Bittybug, as long as there is never a scene of Vera riding a bike I'll be fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Ovsiannikov View Post
    Wow, for some reason I didn't recognize Maria Doyle Kennedy.

Bittybug, as long as there is never a scene of Vera riding a bike I'll be fine.
    They credit her as Maria Doyle I guess the Kennedy got added ..... Interesting how she was nuisance first wife in downton and Tudors hey!! Lol
    I just loved th Tudors, jrm is really lovely....

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriajh View Post
    YES she was in the committments! that is where i recognised her from good job!
    i just want the first mrs bates GONE! i so love anna and bates
    One of my favorite movies... I watch it again at least once a year. And she played Natalie, who had the best voice of the women.

vCash
    I am excited about the prospect of Cora's mother arriving on the scene. I always thought it was very odd that there was never any mention of her family - not even a hint as to the source of her family's wealth that qualified Cora as a marital prospect for Sir Robert. Also, maybe they will introduce some rich American as a possible husband for Edith.

Can't see Sybil being happy with her marital prospect....

Mrs. Patmore was very wrong to push Daisy into any type of situation with William when she, Mrs. Patmore, knew Daisy was against it. I give Daisy alot of credit for expressing her feelings while being bullied by her superior. Sweet of William to think of Daisy and the pension she would receive from him as his widow.

Oh, barf, more of Ethel's whining in the future????
    Last edited by Peaches LaTour; 01-31-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: i goofed...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaches LaTour View Post
    I am excited about the prospect of Cora's mother arriving on the scene. I always thought it was very odd that there was never any mention of her family - not even a hint as to the source of her family's wealth that qualified Cora as a marital prospect for Sir Robert.
    Cora mentioned something once about sending Mary to New York to stay with her aunt. Perhaps that's who Shirley MacLaine is?

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Cora mentioned something once about sending Mary to New York to stay with her aunt. Perhaps that's who Shirley MacLaine is?
    No. She will play Cora's mother.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/enter...109/story.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    The link in soxxy's post above from yesterday revealed that she would play Cora's mother. From the PBS Downtown Abbey press release:
    Ms. MacLaine will play a new character, Martha Levinson, the mother of Lady Grantham (Elizabeth McGovern).

vCash
    Poor William, I will miss him, sniff sniff and Matthew never saw that coming. Sad episode. The dowager was at her best as usual.

Title-less
    vCash
    I keep wondering about the Turkish gentleman scandal thing. I mean, there's a war going on, this incident happened years ago (like 1913 or 1914?), and the world was changing. I'm not sure if it would have the same impact. Depending on what's going on around the world, this scandal might end up being a blip in the news, though of course, still hurt Mary to some extent.

Can't the writers come up with another possible threat to the family? This is getting old

I also wonder why Bates is so willing to give in to his wife. So far we only see Bates' side of the story, and I doubt in any marriage, one side is at fault and not the other

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I keep wondering about the Turkish gentleman scandal thing. I mean, there's a war going on, this incident happened years ago (like 1913 or 1914?), and the world was changing. I'm not sure if it would have the same impact. Depending on what's going on around the world, this scandal might end up being a blip in the news, though of course, still hurt Mary to some extent.
    Well of course the scandal would have been only a "blip in the news" in the global scheme of things. However, to say it would "still hurt Mary to some extent" is a supreme understatement. The world was changing (and would change a lot more in the coming decade), but it still hadn't changed so much that a unmarried woman's "virtue" was something that was a trifling thing.
    Can't the writers come up with another possible threat to the family? This is getting old
    It still has the power to threaten the family's standing in society, although it seems that Sir Richard's posting of his/Mary's engagement has thwarted Vera Bates' plans to ruin the family (but not her husband).
    I also wonder why Bates is so willing to give in to his wife. So far we only see Bates' side of the story, and I doubt in any marriage, one side is at fault and not the other
    I'm not sure what you mean by "giving in" -- it was her threat to expose Mary's tryst with Pamuk that kept him from immediately divorcing her. In season 1 he revealed why he had gone to jail for her theft (he said that after returning injured from the Boer War, he had been drinking heavily and felt that he had failed to be a good husband).

Title-less
    vCash
    But it's still a story from Mr. Bates' perspective. The writers haven't covered his wife other than her coming to make trouble. WHy does she hate him so much that she can have affairs and he can't, and she has to threaten him as soon as she finds out?if she hates him that much why leave him alone in the first place (allowing him the chance to be back with Anna)? Too many little holes in this, IMHO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    But it's still a story from Mr. Bates' perspective. The writers haven't covered his wife other than her coming to make trouble. WHy does she hate him so much that she can have affairs and he can't, and she has to threaten him as soon as she finds out?if she hates him that much why leave him alone in the first place (allowing him the chance to be back with Anna)? Too many little holes in this, IMHO
    Here's a bit of Vera's motivations and back story from the pov of the actress who plays her (from this Daily Mail article from Sept. -- I don't think there are any spoilers in it for how much has been broadcast here in the US):
    ‘Yes, Vera is a dreadful woman,’ says Maria Doyle Kennedy, the Irish actress who plays her. ‘She didn’t want him for herself until she heard about his feelings for Anna, and if there’s one thing Vera can’t bear, it is the thought of John finding happiness with someone else.’ Vera was Bates’ childhood sweetheart, but after they married they soon found they were mismatched and went their separate ways. When she learnt of his relationship with Anna, she turned up unexpectedly at Downton to tell him on no account would she give him a divorce.

They have a long and eventful history that will unravel itself in time,’ says Maria, 47. ‘I think when they originally got together they were very much in love and probably quite a passionate couple. They’re both fiery and she seems to bring out that side of him.

‘Then it went badly wrong. He wondered why they didn’t have children. Did something happen? Of course he has a history of drinking too. Vera and John clearly had a very close bond at one stage, and she can push his buttons easily. She still has a tremendous hold over him and she’s going to use it.
    Of course, this mainly is conjecture, because not many details of their pre-Downton relationship are actually given. But it's still interesting, imo.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Well of course the scandal would have been only a "blip in the news" in the global scheme of things. However, to say it would "still hurt Mary to some extent" is a supreme understatement. The world was changing (and would change a lot more in the coming decade), but it still hadn't changed so much that a unmarried woman's "virtue" was something that was a trifling thing. It still has the power to threaten the family's standing in society, although it seems that Sir Richard's posting of his/Mary's engagement has thwarted Vera Bates' plans to ruin the family (but not her husband)..
    One other thing--this is World War I. Turkey/the Ottoman Empire is not on England's side. They were Central Powers. While there might be a certain value in "English maiden violated by Turk" (and it's not like there's any witnesses but Mary to say it was consensual or not) that STILL means Mary's damaged goods.

vCash
    One thing I'm happy about is that Lavinia's character is not a Mrs. Bates in nicer clothing. I like that she honestly loves Matthew. Though of course I want to see Matthew and Lady Mary together.

vCash
    One thing I'm happy about is that Lavinia's character is not a Mrs. Bates in nicer clothing. I like that she honestly loves Matthew. Though of course I want to see Matthew and Lady Mary together.
    I thought Lavinia was out of the picture. He sent her packing and she meekly acquiesed. Maybe Matthew and Mary can adopt Ethel's baby, then they will have an heir, black moustache can suddenly claim paternal rights and the drama can continue.

I still think Matthew is too morally pure for Mary. A year after they were married she would be bored to death. The only thing that keeps it going is that she can't have him.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I thought Lavinia was out of the picture. He sent her packing and she meekly acquiesed. Maybe Matthew and Mary can adopt Ethel's baby, then they will have an heir, black moustache can suddenly claim paternal rights and the drama can continue.
    i was thinking her parents could take it, that way i wouldnt have to hear about it or see it but the ethel storyline could go away
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast