Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    It was a subplot in the first episode of Season 1. Thomas had a relationship with the Duke who came to call on Mary and suss out her inheritance prospects. The actor who played the Duke, Charlie Cox, also plays Owen on Boardwalk Empire.
    Who was the guy who came to pick up Mary in his new car, but ended up with Edith instead. He seemed easily discouraged when he came to propose to Edith and Mary scared him off. Was he a goldigger also?

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    No, he was a rich, middle-aged neighbor. Edith wanted to marry him but Mary told him that she was 'dreading a proposal that night from some old bore' so he never asked.

In Mary's defense, she was retaliating for her sister's outing the Pamuk episode.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    No, he was a rich, middle-aged neighbor. Edith wanted to marry him but Mary told him that she was 'dreading a proposal that night from some old bore' so he never asked.

In Mary's defense, she was retaliating for her sister's outing the Pamuk episode.
    Which I always thought was stupid . . . it only was going to help everyone if Edith married a rich guy. Sure, she was spiting her sister, but getting her married and out of the house would have helped Mary too.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Mary doesn't always seem like the sharpest tool in the shed, to be fair. Edith isn't the only one prone to stupid vindictive behavior. Run, Sibyl! Get out while you can!

I have to feel sorry for the chauffer. Seems like he's doomed to be the working-class guy falling for the upper-class lady (Allan Leech played Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa in Rome, where they had him, accurrately or not, falling for Octavia.)

vCash
    What was the Pamuk episode about? I gather Mary and her mother were dragging around some corpse connected to the Turkish Embassy. Did Mary actually do something scandalous, or was it all about innuendo?

Living in a Snark
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    What was the Pamuk episode about? I gather Mary and her mother were dragging around some corpse connected to the Turkish Embassy. Did Mary actually do something scandalous, or was it all about innuendo?
    The turkish diplomat forced himseft into Mary's room (with Thomas's help) and basically convinced her to sleep with him. After "having fun" in bed, he suddently collapsed and died.
    Before anyone asks, no, it was not rape, Mary admitted she wanted to do it.
    D&S 2006 and 2007 World Gold Medalists

vCash
    Dear me, Thomas does get around.

vCash
    Finally got to watch the first episode of the new season, loved it. Mary who imo showed such a strong character in the first season seems a little wimpy. I was expecting some fireworks between her, Matthew, and his fiancé, maybe next week. Sorry to see Bates go. Maggie Smith was gloriously funny as always especially when she found out that Downton Abbey may be used as a convalescence home for the injured soldiers.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Jim Carter was also Mr. Brehgert in The Way We Live Now. I luurves that basso voice of his.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Likeability of her character notwithstanding, IMHO it's Michelle Dockery who should be getting the Best Actress nominations for "DA", not Elizabeth McGovern.

(My apologies to any and all rabid McGovern fans.....I loved her in "Ragtime"!)

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Likeability of her character notwithstanding, IMHO it's Michelle Dockery who should be getting the Best Actress nominations for "DA", not Elizabeth McGovern.
    Agreed. Of course she's mesmerizingly beautiful, it's hard to separate that out from her acting talent, but that role is challenging. Mary can be a mean girl, a doofus, oddly dignified and loving, all in the same episode.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Agree 100% about the actress playing Lady Mary - I change my mind about the character about 10x an episode.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Dear me, Thomas does get around.
    Well, in fairness, in that case Thomas got his own blackmail turned back on him a bit--he made a misjudged pass at Pamuk (he's Turkish, not in a Turkish prison, Thomas) and Pamuk basically said "You help me get into Lady Mary's room or I tell your boss you're a filthy pervert."

Okay, Michelle Dockery? Did not recognize her, but no wonder she can be a bit frosty, she's Death's granddaughter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Which I always thought was stupid . . . it only was going to help everyone if Edith married a rich guy. Sure, she was spiting her sister, but getting her married and out of the house would have helped Mary too.
    Not just spite, but wouldn't it make Mary look like a failure if her younger sister married before her as well?

Spoiler

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    ^ I guess.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Not just spite, but wouldn't it make Mary look like a failure if her younger sister married before her as well?

Spoiler

That and especially a younger sister who is perceived as unattractive (the parents have apparently written her off as a spinster - "she can take care of us in our old age" - ouch! No wonder she is spiteful.

vCash
    That and especially a younger sister who is perceived as unattractive (the parents have apparently written her off as a spinster - "she can take care of us in our old age" - ouch! No wonder she is spiteful.
    I'm always rooting for Edith!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    ^ And His Lordship's ambiguous response: "What a ghastly thought".

For whom? The two of them stuck with picklepuss in their twilight years or Edith stuck babysitting the geriatrics?

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    but edith did damage to her own marriage chances when she wrote the letter to the turkish embassy or wherever since it could cause scandal for the whole family

just an aside, she reminds me of the poem "pointy birds" from the man with 2 brains

another aside, i have a friend who keeps writing me about "downtown abbey" and it is driving me crazy. i asked her if she used auto correct and she said no.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    but edith did damage to her own marriage chances when she wrote the letter to the turkish embassy or wherever since it could cause scandal for the whole family

just an aside, she reminds me of the poem "pointy birds" from the man with 2 brains

another aside, i have a friend who keeps writing me about "downtown abbey" and it is driving me crazy. i asked her if she used auto correct and she said no.
    I thought it was Downtown Abbey too, until I saw the show and the name was on the train station.

I'm with Nubka, I think Edith will turn out all right after the war. Thomas was at least kind to the suicidal soldier, Mary is the one who seems like an awful pill. I hope no one nice gets stuck with her.

Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast