Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Having never seen the original UD, and only just watching this one last night on my DVR, I have to say I preferred Downton Abbey. JMO.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I think if you're a fan of the original U,D you would probably respond better to the new one, as you miss things like why Rose reacts so strongly to the key with Mr. Hudson's name on it (which I would expect is personal, as of course Gordon Jackson has passed away, as has the original cook, Angela Baddley, so there's probably some real sentiment for Jean Marsh.) Because those of us who are coming in with that background probably miss the characters and actors, too!

Let me put it this way, I'm sure I'm not the only one who, when Downton Abbey started with Titanic sinking, said "Lady Bellamy, no!" (The first lady of the house on U,D is killed off on the Titanic.)

And I love the mother-in-law. New favorite character.

vCash
    I think if you're a fan of the original U,D you would probably respond better to the new one.
    I saw the original (1st set, 1971 to 1973) back in the 70’s in my pre-teen years, in “Soviet times” in Moscow, at the “Cinema House Club” special screening, reserved only for “employees of soviet cinema and their friends and family”. The reels were ordered from UK distributor for Committee Review to evaluate if series can pass the “politically correct” inspection and ran on public TV for general Soviet Audience. The decision was made not to show them to the general public. (The other series – The Forsyte Saga – did pass the inspection and was shown in the Soviet Union.).

I loved the original show. Was on my best behavior so that my parents would allow me to go to the Club House and watch it on Sundays…. . I am so happy to have seen this show back when I was 12…. I knew then and there… that I will always aim to be “Upstairs” even if I live the rest of my life in USSR…. .

I love the new ones also! Yes! That and “Atlas Shrugged”…. America is getting on the right track!..

vCash
    Tinami Amori, Thanks for sharing your story.
    I'm so glad that you got to see the "original" UD when you were young; and that you loved it so much.

I saw the series when it was first broadcast in the US.
    It would have been awful to miss an episode on "Masterpiece Theatre".
    We were fortunate to have the great Alistair Cooke to give us "historical context", also.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    And then there's the small matter of the fact that Rose left Eaton Place a mere 6 years previous ... but seems to have aged at least 30 years. Must have gone through a lot in that time!
    Ah, but the original series started in 1903, with Rose as one of the characters. The 1936 version of her that we see this time around does look about 33 years older than the one we first met.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Mary is turning out to be quite an interesting character (and that actress is just beautiful.) Bitchy middle sister, well, maybe she's just been twisted by so many years of being overshadowed. And if there's any justice, O'Brien will get her comeuppance in the end.
    Agree - I just watched all seven eps over the course of a week (uncut DVD), and Mary's character, after starting off rather annoyingly, ended up being the most complex and developed of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I'm not liking her either, and if I had one complaint about the series it would be how many unlikables there are. Mary, Edith, O'Brian, Thomas ... and really, we'd hate the Dowager too if it were anyone other than Maggie Smith. But I guess that's what makes for "good TV" in the 21st century.
    Am I the only one who was totally creeped out by O'Brien's sideburns?

Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    Mmmmmm......Jeremy Northam.......mmmm...... I'll be in my bunk.
    x1000

How great would it be if Jeremy Northam appeared in series 2? Julian Fellowes knows him after all ...

Anyway, late to the party but just read this entire thread and echo (almost ) everyone's view in that I enjoyed every, single, second of this - and look forward to re-viewing again in future to catch the subtleties I might have missed, and indulge in it all over again.

And it should go without saying, but must be said again and again - Maggie Smith is incredible - surely Fellowes wrote the role for her? I can only imagine the day the producers signed her, knowing that the rest would fall magically into place around her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Agree - I just watched all seven eps over the course of a week (uncut DVD), and Mary's character, after starting off rather annoyingly, ended up being the most complex and developed of all.
    ITA. The fact that she wasn't 100% likeable is actually, conversely, why I liked her. While I enjoyed her revenge on Edith at the end, I can't help but think that if she hadn't done it, she wouldn't have got Edith out of her hair.

Then again...Edith kind of had it coming.

Am so looking forward to series 2, and the Christmas ep

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Just spent a bit of my lunch break reading the interviews on the character page someone posted upthread - http://enchantedserenityperiodfilms....ton-abbey.html

Particularly interesting is the one with the actress who plays O'Brien - starting with how completely different she looks in real life! Everyone's huge respect for Maggie Smith of course comes through, and as I thought, the part was written for her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    ... (The other series – The Forsyte Saga – did pass the inspection and was shown in the Soviet Union.)...
    I find it interesting that the Forsythe Saga passed muster with the Soviet censors while Upstairs/Downstairs didn't. I found Soames Forsythe to be a more sympathetic character and Young Jolyon and Irene to be less sympathetic characters in the television series than I suspect the series' director intended. I wonder if many Soviet viewers shared my sympathy for Soames.

SHERLOCKED
    vCash
    PBS announced at the Television Critics Association press tour that they will show Downton Abbey II starting on January 8 and the next series of Upstairs Downstairs will be shown in 2013. (Also they're planning to show Sherlock series 2 in May 2012...ulp) They plan to mount an Emmy campaign for Downton, which has received 11 nominations.

The Hollywood Reporter

vCash
    Wee! I can wait to see DA II. I read on another forum that it will begin two years from the point that DA I left at.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Yes, I understand DA II begins in 1916.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Awwww! We missed it then. Oh. It's SET in 1916.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reuven View Post
    Awwww! We missed it then. Oh. It's SET in 1916.

vCash
    I think they should show DA#1 first so everyone can recall who all the characters are and how they are involved with each other.

vCash
    Some informations about downton Abbey, season 2: (Contain Spoilers)

http://www.itv.com/documents/pdf/DOWNTON_ABBEY.pdf

vCash
    ^Thank you. I am looking forward to the air date.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Is Maria Doyle Kennedy (aka Queen Katherine from seasons 1-2 of The Tudors) making a career out of playing first wives?

vCash
    I have JUST got into this; I shall be watching series one in it's entirety this weekend. Have LOVED the first two episodes thus far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icewalker08 View Post
    Some informations about downton Abbey, season 2: (Contain Spoilers)

http://www.itv.com/documents/pdf/DOWNTON_ABBEY.pdf

Thanks! Spoilers are always lovely.

I've become completely obsessed with DA. I do NOT want to take the DVDs back to the library today.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast