Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    I enjoy Downton for its soapy aspects, but I disagree that it's better than US TV. IMO, Homeland, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, and Sons of Anarchy are all superior and far more creative shows.
    I haven't seen Homeland and am looking forward to checking it out, but did enjoy Season 1 of Game of Thrones as well as Pillars of the Earth Series last fall - I don't know how well known the latter is outside of Canada?

This past year I've also watched Rome, I Claudius, and The Borgias.

Downton Abbey is my favourite of all of these because of its attention to detail and slow pace. I enjoyed it almost as Poldark, which is perhaps my favourite Masterpiece Theater series of all time.

Its the attention to detail that makes the difference. HBO had it in Rome, whereas Pillars of the Earth seemed rushed. I haven't yet made up my mind about The Borgias and Game of Thrones, both of which I'm enjoying. It's hard to pronounce an evaluation of a series before it is finished.

I think Fellows may be challenged to bring Downton to a graceful close, but will say no more at the moment to avoid spoilers.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    I, Claudius. Now THAT was a series worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    Indeed. Shame is was decades ago. It was brilliant.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I enjoyed it almost as Poldark, which is perhaps my favourite Masterpiece Theater series of all time.
    I loved Poldark, also.

Downton may be nothing more than high-class "soap opera"; but, there's nothing wrong with that!
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 01-07-2013 at 07:34 PM.

vCash
    I watched it last night and enjoyed it just as much as the last two seasons.
    But, early days yet.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    That was where I first saw wonderful actors like John Hurt, Sir Derek Jacobi, Sian Phillips and Brian Blessed.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post

Downton may be nothing more than high-class "soap opera"; but, there's nothing wrong with that!
    Except when it is misleadingly presented to one as high-class Masterpiece drama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Latte View Post
    I watched it last night and enjoyed it just as much as the last two seasons.
    But, early days yet.
    Agreed. I thought it was interesting when Bates showed his temper to his cellmate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reuven View Post
    That was where I first saw wonderful actors like John Hurt, Sir Derek Jacobi, Sian Phillips and Brian Blessed.
    And Patrick Stewart, with hair!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Except when it is misleadingly presented to one as high-class Masterpiece drama.
    Is that how it's been presented by media in your area? It's part of the Masterpiece "Classic" programming, which basically are "period dramas" (in contrast to the Masterpiece "Mystery" programs which run in the other half of the year), but none of the promotions I've seen here make any pretense at it being anything more than a highly popular costume soap opera. After all, with DA actors appearing on Letterman and Leno and features on the PBS website like the "Which Downton Abbey Job is Right for You?" quiz, they don't seem to be mistaking themselves for Shakespeare -- or even Dickens.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    well I loved the opening of season 3.. in reading the none spoiled comments my expectations were low.. however I quite enjoyed it.. but then again I've been exposed to north american crap TV for the past few decades so I have likely lost some brain cells
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    nm
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    And Patrick Stewart, with hair!
    That’s right, the wonderfully vile and overly ambitious Sejanus, who gets his comeuppance.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    If you have the Rome DVDs, the commentary on one of the Season 2 episodes includes that episode's director and writer begging the BBC and HBO to remake "I, Claudius" with the same kind of care and expense spent on Rome (they both clearly love it, but also rightly point out the cardboard BBC sets and the "same potted plants in ever room.") In fact they finish up the episode with "And write HBO, tell them to make 'I, Claudius!'")

Japanfan--have you also seen 'The Tudors'?

Regarding last night, anyone else have that one moment where you're torn between this being "Prison changes a man" and "Um...he IS innocent, right?" Which is wonderful on the actor's part.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Regarding last night, anyone else have that one moment where you're torn between this being "Prison changes a man" and "Um...he IS innocent, right?" Which is wonderful on the actor's part.
    My faith in Bates never wavered -- that is, my faith in his being innocent didn't. I was/am a bit afraid that he might get into deeper trouble from some prison fight, though. Brendan Coyle is a marvelous as Bates, in my (easily pleased) opinion.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Shakespeare's work. which we now regard as "high-class drama" was viewed as the "soap-opera" of its' day.
    "Masterpiece"/"Masterpiece Theatre" was seen as "important" when it arrived on the scene, (IMO) for two primary reasons: they chose historical dramas, and it was amongst the first programming "imported" from the UK.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post

Japanfan--have you also seen 'The Tudors'?
    tudors- one of the best series EVER- i could watch season 2 (aka the anne bolyen season) over and over- Rhys meyers and natalie dormer have some serious chemistry! is on netflix (in the usa) and cbc archived it all on the website- go loose a few hours!!!!

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    I love that little Daisy. They ran her ragged the last two seasons - you go right ahead & stand up for your rights girl!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriajh View Post
    tudors- one of the best series EVER- i could watch season 2 (aka the anne bolyen season) over and over- Rhys meyers and natalie dormer have some serious chemistry! is on netflix (in the usa) and cbc archived it all on the website- go loose a few hours!!!!
    I got the complete series DVD set for Christmas...have GORGED on "The Tudors." I think my favorite is series 3-Sarah Bolger is great as Mary and I enjoy watching Cromwell slide towards his appointment with the headsman (though it's a testament to James Frain's acting while I can't stand the character I still feel bad for him). And the costumes! I love costume dramas, though Downton moving into the twenties means it's in a period where I'm not really enamored of the clothes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Pillars of the Earth Series last fall - I don't know how well known the latter is outside of Canada?
    I LOVED Pillars of the Earth and its sequel, World Without End. It made me sad that no one on the internet seemed to know it existed so I could chat about it! Both had some pretty big stars, too - Matthew Mcfayden, Rufus Sewell, Ian McShane, Eddie Redmayne, Hayley Atwell in PotE, and Cynthia Nixon, Miranda Richardson, Ben Chaplin in WWE.

Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast