Page 35 of 52 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

vCash
    Absolutely!
    She made the movie.

vCash
    She really did. I can't imagine it without her.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I want to be the Dowager Countess when I'm old. Even it means I've become a reactionary.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash

Exclamation

In 1880's Victorian England two reasons were given for discouraging the attendance of upper class women at funerals: class distinction (female attendance was considered "common" and therefore, limited to the lower classes) and the heavy drinking enjoyed both before and after the funeral by the male mourners and undertakers. I don't know what time frame changed this line of thinking.

It won't be long now before O'Brien sees Thomas for the fool he is and stops helping him. If only the household knew how he was injured in the war!

I felt sorry for Richard when he left DA - he did love Mary but should have seen from the get-go that she could never be his. Now that she is going to marry Matthew maybe that happiness will make her less of a nasty b*tch. One can only hope.

Edith, my dear, live the life your father had wished upon Mary (to get her away from Carlisle). Go West, young lady, way, way West and marry an American cowboy who will always tell you how lovely your are!

Yes, once again, Maggie Smith had the best lines - or is it that she simply can deliver a line so beautifully that it is elevated to perfection.

Thank goodness Isis was returned home safely.

William's dad and Daisy - love this relationship. Mrs. Patmore redeemed herself with her interference in this instance.

Ah, what happens when Sybil, Branson and their Finien brat show up for dinner the first time at DA????

Can't wait til next season. See you there!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Interesting thing in that best-of-the-Dowager montage ... the scene where Cora says "Maybe Mary can go to stay with my aunt in New York." Not mother. So I guess the writers hadn't decided yet at that point to give Cora a mother -- and bring her across the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    To me this just seems to be a continuation of her role in "Gosford Park" and that is fine with me.
    Which in turn was a variation on her role as Cousin Charlotte in A Room with a View.

I agree, Miss Jean Brodie is one of Maggie Smith's best characters -- and she's had a lot! (Quickly checks TCM Oscars schedule to see if it's on ... but no.)

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Interesting thing in that best-of-the-Dowager montage ... the scene where Cora says "Maybe Mary can go to stay with my aunt in New York." Not mother. So I guess the writers hadn't decided yet at that point to give Cora a mother -- and bring her across the pond.

i think because cora was supposed to be from cincinnati. but then this wk may said grandma had homes in NY and i think newport.

maybe she ditched ohio when isadore died
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    To me this just seems to be a continuation of her role in "Gosford Park" and that is fine with me. I can't imagine this series without her.
    Consider Fellowes wrote both he probably just used search and replace to change the names..."How do I write a series around Maggie Smith, hmm...."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post

Which in turn was a variation on her role as Cousin Charlotte in A Room with a View.

I agree, Miss Jean Brodie is one of Maggie Smith's best characters -- and she's had a lot! (Quickly checks TCM Oscars schedule to see if it's on ... but no.)
    ITA--I just watched this again on TCM??? Same woman, less wrinkles and a little less brave in her expression. Seeing so many of the people we would still be watching a generation later my question is: What the hell happened to Julian Sands career?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Anyone here seen her in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie? I'm going to dig up that DVD and watch it tomorrow. She was wonderful in it!

Oh yes

I am in the business of putting old heads on young shoulders, and all of my girls are the creme de le creme. Give me a girl at an impressionable age, and she is mine, for life!

Or something like that - that's just from memory.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    Oh yes

I am in the business of putting old heads on young shoulders, and all of my girls are the creme de le creme. Give me a girl at an impressionable age, and she is mine, for life!

Or something like that - that's just from memory.
    "I am in my prime!"

vCash
    "ASSASSIN!"
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Here's a first glimpse of Shirley!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...-Levinson.html
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    ^ Thanks for that link! That's definitely quite a hat she's wearing -- and quite the imperious expression.

How will I be able to endure the wait until Season 3 is broadcast?

vCash

Thumbs up Downton Abbey - One last question

Can anybody translate Maggie Smith's comment (in french) about Lord Hempworth's father?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    ^ Thanks for that link! That's definitely quite a hat she's wearing -- and quite the imperious expression.

How will I be able to endure the wait until Season 3 is broadcast?
    I'm finding it unbearable, too!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaches LaTour View Post
    Can anybody translate Maggie Smith's comment (in french) about Lord Hempworth's father?
    "Où sont les neiges d'antan?..." = "Where are the snows of yesteryear?..."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    The lack of signed contracts for several cast members hardly translates into her specifcially quitting the show. I think it's much ado about nothing, but they have to grab readers to their articles somehow.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    The lack of signed contracts for several cast members hardly translates into her specifcially quitting the show. I think it's much ado about nothing, but they have to grab readers to their articles somehow.
    Especially when they note ITV hasn't even commissioned a 4th or 5th series yet so there may not be anything to come back to! And all the cast are back for series 3. Basically, a few actors are committed in advance, while others are apparently waiting.

Though really, while I'd be ANNOYED TO PIECES if instead of letting them be reasonably happy they saddled up the drama llama again and got rid of Matthew, if the series is REALLY aiming to end around WWII, they can't reasonably keep the Dowager Countess around forever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Especially when they note ITV hasn't even commissioned a 4th or 5th series yet so there may not be anything to come back to! And all the cast are back for series 3. Basically, a few actors are committed in advance, while others are apparently waiting.

Though really, while I'd be ANNOYED TO PIECES if instead of letting them be reasonably happy they saddled up the drama llama again and got rid of Matthew, if the series is REALLY aiming to end around WWII, they can't reasonably keep the Dowager Countess around forever.
    I read somewhere that the original aim was always for 3 series. I suspect that ITV are working on Julian Fellowes to write series 4 & 5 - there is no guarentee they will get them and I suspect they are feeling out the cast to see who would be interested in additional series. I'm not too worried about this just yet

Page 35 of 52 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast