Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Terribly convenient that the Earl fell in love with his wife after pursuing her for her money, isn't it? It would be really cool to see a prequel about their courtship.
    I would think that would not be uncommon in the later Victorian Era. Marrying for money was still numero uno, but it was becoming increasingly common for people to marry for love as well, at least among the burgeoning middle class. Changing notions of family, the increased visibility of women in society, etc. I think would promote husbands to look more fondly on their wives in general.

England was one of the first countries to short of eschew the idea that man's downfall was because of Eve and embrace the idea that women should be protected, cossetted, and valued--the idea of separate spheres, with each sphere being equally important to the healthy functioning of society for the present and future generations.

If not full on luuuuurve as we would think in the US, but I think it was the ideal in the latter 19th century for men to feel great affection for their wives and children (within proper bounds, of course ).
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Are you guys also getting, or going to get the new series of Upstairs Downstairs? They made a 3 part special for the BBC at christmas set in 1936 - different family but Jean Marsh as Rose returns. Loved it. Rumours are that this is to be commisioned for further development this year also.
    Bless you for asking this - I looked it up and it appears that PBS will be airing this in 2011!

PBS Orders New 'Upstairs Downstairs' and Sherlock Holmes series for 2011

(A few of the new Sherlock Holmes episodes have aired here already and I really liked them. Also, Rufus Sewell = )

vCash
    I'm sorry to hear this. Downton was THE TV hit of 2010 here in the UK and by the end of the series was drawing in excess of 11 million viewers per episode - HUGE figures for us. It is worth persevering with if only for Maggie Smith's eternally wonderful put downs. This series cost £7 million to produce and thankfully the viewing figures have guaranteed a second series. I hope it runs and runs. This is the kind of thing that Britain does so well and frankly is a welcome respite from the endlessly mind numbing hours of reality TV that TV execs seem to think we want!!

Are you guys also getting, or going to get the new series of Upstairs Downstairs? They made a 3 part special for the BBC at christmas set in 1936 - different family but Jean Marsh as Rose returns. Loved it. Rumours are that this is to be commisioned for further development this year also.
    Yes, we are getting Upstairs Downstairs later in the season, but I will confess that I did not like the original at all and have no plans to watch the sequel.

As far as Downton Abbey, I think I would have less of a problem with it if it weren't on Masterpiece Classic. It's neither a Masterpiece nor Classic; it's an over-the-top soap and nothing more and should have been marketed as such. There are so many things about it that just set my teeth on edge. The villains are way too one-dimensional, Ditsy Daisy the kitchen maid is the most annoying character to debut on TV in the last year, etc, etc. I could go on, but I'll just go away and leave this thread for the fans.

vCash
    It is worth persevering with if only for Maggie Smith's eternally wonderful put downs.
    That could be said of pretty much any movie or series in which Maggie Smith appears. I LOVE her.

Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Ditsy Daisy the kitchen maid is the most annoying character to debut on TV in the last year, etc, etc.
    Totally with you there. At least once an episode I want to brain her with a frying pan -- except I don't think she has any brains.

It's so obvious that she's an audience stand-in, and just there for the other characters to (more or less patiently) explain things to, so that we'll understand better what's going on. But the number of things she doesn't know about her own society beggars belief! The incessant info-dumping is one of the most annoying aspects of the whole series; I do wish they could have found a better way to convey some of this stuff.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Yes, we are getting Upstairs Downstairs later in the season, but I will confess that I did not like the original at all and have no plans to watch the sequel.

As far as Downton Abbey, I think I would have less of a problem with it if it weren't on Masterpiece Classic. It's neither a Masterpiece nor Classic; it's an over-the-top soap and nothing more and should have been marketed as such. There are so many things about it that just set my teeth on edge. The villains are way too one-dimensional, Ditsy Daisy the kitchen maid is the most annoying character to debut on TV in the last year, etc, etc. I could go on, but I'll just go away and leave this thread for the fans.
    Each to their own. Downton follows a similar theme to UpDown in that it closely ties in with historical and political events, so no wonder you didn't like either. The new UpDown focuses on the abdication crisis of 1936. Rumours are that a new series would take it through to the end of WW2 and that would be the end of that.

Pollyanna - I'm glad you're getting to see the new UpDown. Hope you enjoy it, and Sherlock was wonderful - so fast paced and intricate. As much as I love Rufus Sewell, I wouldn't bother with Zen. I tried and failed. It's had pretty awful reviews over here.

vCash
    Each to their own. Downton follows a similar theme to UpDown in that it closely ties in with historical and political events, so no wonder you didn't like either.
    Please, give me some credit; the historical and political events have nothing to do with why I don't like either series. It's been so long since I've seen U/D that I honestly can't remember why I didn't like it - I think it might have had something to do with the wooden performances of some of the leads.

Downton Abbey just comes across as phony and unbelievable to me. Where is Trollope when you need him?

vCash
    I am watching Downton Abbey, and very much enjoying every second of it.

Looking forward to the new Upstairs/Downstairs, BBC has not made a bad remake yet, as far as I am concerned, and I hate remakes..

Even the “modern remake” of Sherlock Holmes is very interesting.

vCash
    As much as I love Rufus Sewell, I wouldn't bother with Zen. I tried and failed. It's had pretty awful reviews over here.
    Must re-watch Cold Comfort Farm instead.

vCash
    So the dressmaker always makes the same frock. I didn't know Vera Wang was around in those days.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    why is the gay brunette employee mean to the blond guy and why does the blond guy care?
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    mlp, you still watchin'? 'Cuz that scene just now =

So friggin' good!

Ok, wait a sec, now we're watching "Mrs. Miniver"? Hmmmm.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    zomg, i need a hug

((mr mosely))
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    why is the gay brunette employee mean to the blond guy and why does the blond guy care?
    Gay brunette guy is a jerk to everyone pretty much. Blond guy cares because he has a crush on Daisy, poor clueless Daisy has a crush on gay brunette guy, so gay brunette guy comes on to Daisy to make nice blond guy feel jealous and sad.

edited - nm, missed it originally when polly jr yelled at me because she hasn't done her homework yet. I've always wondered what it's like to watch a show without countless interruptions.
    Last edited by pollyanna; 01-24-2011 at 03:35 AM.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    Gay brunette guy is a jerk to everyone pretty much. Blond guy cares because he has a crush on Daisy, poor clueless Daisy has a crush on gay brunette guy, so gay brunette guy comes on to Daisy to make nice blond guy feel jealous and sad. Bastard.
    thanks

blind cook is not so blind after all

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    this show is awesome, i have nothing constructive to add but to pbs
    This. I was really getting into tonights episode and then it was over. I can't believe I have to wait until next Sunday for the truth about Lady Mary and the Turk to finally be revealed.

I love period dramas. I went through withdrawal last winter when PBS didn't have so much as another Jane Austen marathon or at least something similar.

vCash
    Is this the period drama that was on PBS saturday night? I did not catch the name of the series but there was a brother and sister fighting because he had ran away and left the sister with a cruel demanding father and had suddenly returned after his death. If this was what I was watching I absolutely loved it!

vCash
    No, this is a different one. There are three sisters and no brothers.

vCash

Maggie Smith

Loving this series also. Just how many cups of tea has Maggie Smith poured while on screen during her life?
    I suddenly find myself older than I ever intended to be--Roxy Hart in "Chicago"

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Mary is turning out to be quite an interesting character (and that actress is just beautiful.) Bitchy middle sister, well, maybe she's just been twisted by so many years of being overshadowed. And if there's any justice, O'Brien will get her comeuppance in the end.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutzcy View Post
    Loving this series also. Just how many cups of tea has Maggie Smith poured while on screen during her life?
    Probably enough to be submitted to the Guinness Book of World Records!

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast