Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I really, really, really want to go to Quebec City. But the closest hotel to the arena (based on Google Maps) is a 35 minute walk? And a 15 minute walk just to get coffee? I do not intend to drive. Is public transportation at all doable?

I hope airfare goes down. It starts at $700 for me.

I also really, really, really want to go to Colorado Springs for 4CC. Airfare seems to be reasonable. Hotels seem to be 20 minute walks (but the rates are quite cheap--as long as we still have parity, that is!) but coffee seems to be nowhere near the arena.

The only way this will change is if Skate America, Skate Canada or Canadians is in the Pacific Northwest. Doubt it.
    I remember taking the bus back at the first SC in Quebec city-there were no problems. In that city, you really want to stay downtown, though- that's where the really nice restaurants and interesting places are. It's worth it, despite the longer trip to the arena. There are 2 hotels that are walking distance (if you are a walker- it's still 25 minutes or so)- the Hotel Pur and the Best Western. Both had coffee shops in the area, but it's not as nice an area as the old city hotels.

Re Colorado Springs- the hotels are closer than a 20 minute walk. I have stayed at the Doubletree, which is the furthest from the arena and it was no more than 15 minutes. I'm not a coffee drinker, so I can't help you there, but there are several malls near the Doubletree, and I'm sure that there is coffee somewhere around there.

I'm hoping to go to both, but it's hard to plan without the locations for SC and Nats yet.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    I
    I also really, really, really want to go to Colorado Springs for 4CC. Airfare seems to be reasonable. Hotels seem to be 20 minute walks (but the rates are quite cheap--as long as we still have parity, that is!) but coffee seems to be nowhere near the arena.
    There is a bagel shop close to the World Arena that had an espresso bar, if that's what you're looking for. There was also a coffee cart that operated inside the arena on many days, but I seem to recall that it was the "pushbutton" kind of espresso machine that makes terrible foamed milk.

vCash
    The La Quinta at Colorado Springs was really cheap, absolutely a great hotel, and with free breakfast. And it was a simple walk across a (rather large mind you) parking lot to World Arena. I'd say 5-7 minutes if that! (depends on your speed)

vCash
    Hmm, thanks for the info. Another one waiting to see where SA, SC and Cdn Nats is going to be. I love QC, but as I have a long drive to the airport, QC in Dec isn't floating my boat.

4C's in February tho is looking a lot better.
    Gone crazy. Be back soon.

vCash
    to anyone who speaks french, based on my understanding of this article with my very limited french it says GPF will be in quebec city. can anyone confirm it?

Québec recevra les finales du Grand Prix de patinage artistique

thanks

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Nothing beyond what's already been stated in the past few posts, but I'll give it a shot:

Événement sportif
    Québec recevra les finales du Grand Prix de patinage artistique
    Mise à jour le mardi 15 février 2011 à 12 h 34

Sporting events
    Quebec will receive the finals of the Grand Prix of figure skating
    Updated Tuesday 15 February 2011 at 12:34

Radio-Canada a appris que Québec accueillera les finales du Grand Prix de patinage artistique à la fin de l'année. Ce championnat d'envergure internationale réunit chaque année les 75 meilleurs patineurs et patineuses de la planète.

Radio Canada has learned that Quebec will host the finals of the Grand Prix of figure skating at the end of the year. This championship of international scale brings together 75 of the world's best skaters each year.

Patinage Canada en fera vraisemblablement l'annonce lors d'une conférence de presse prévue le 22 février prochain, à ExpoCité. Mardi matin, Patinage Canada a publié un communiqué selon lequel une « importante annonce » sera faite la semaine prochaine.

Skate Canada will likely make an announcement at a press conference next 22 February at ExpoCité. On Tuesday morning, Skate Canada published a statement saying that an "important announcement" will be made next week.

Patinage Canada, l'organisme national responsable du développement et de l'administration du patinage au Canada, avait déjà indiqué à la fin du mois de janvier que la ville de Québec était une « candidate sérieuse » afin d'accueillir cette compétition.

Skate Canada, the national organization responsible for the development and administration of skating in Canada, had already indicated at the end of January that the city of Quebec was a "serious candidate" to host this event.

L'administration Labeaume considère cet événement comme un gain majeur pour la ville de Québec.

The Labeaume [Quebec mayor] administration considers this event as a major win for the city of Quebec.

Les retombées économiques des finales du Grand Prix de patinage artistique sont évaluées à 5 millions de dollars.

The economic benefits of the Grand Prix finals of figure skating are estimated at $5 million.

L'événement se tiendra du 8 au 11 décembre 2011 au Pavillon de la jeunesse.

The event will be held from December 8-11, 2011 at the Pavillon de la jeunesse [Youth Pavilion].

vCash
    UMBS Go Blue: thanks. so nothing official yet.

vCash
    Official announcement: Quebec City to host 2011 ISU Grand Prix Final

Looking forward to going back to Quebec City!
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Does anyone have any idea as to when tickets might go on sale for this event?

Wouldn't it be relatively soon?

vCash
    I am so looking forward to going back to one of my favorite cities on earth. This will likely be the first visits to North America (or the first substantial events in N.Am.) for the young Russian wonders, Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva, right? For that alone, I'm on the Air Canada Jazz, destination Quebec!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I really, really, really want to go to Quebec City. But the closest hotel to the arena (based on Google Maps) is a 35 minute walk? And a 15 minute walk just to get coffee? I do not intend to drive. Is public transportation at all doable? .
    I went when Skate Canada was there last time. I stayed at a hotel in the city and took the bus each day. The arena was about a 3-5 block walk from the bus stop. It was no problem getting there in the AM. On the way back (when everyone was leaving around the same time) the buses were packed and you might have to wait for a second or third bus before you could board, but they came regularly and I never had a big problem.

You could walk to the mall for lunch or a break, but it was a slightly longer walk than it appears at first.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1214 View Post
    Does anyone have any idea as to when tickets might go on sale for this event?

Wouldn't it be relatively soon?
    September apparently according to Skate Canada's twitter.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    September apparently according to Skate Canada's twitter.
    Thanks!

vCash
    I really hope I can go to *something*. Be it SC (I have a friend in Mississauga I could stay with), GPF or 4CC.

Yay for Quebec City! But wish it could be Montreal finally...can't some rich skating fan donate funds for an adequate sized rink?

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I would love to go to Quebec City, but early December is not a good vacation time for me, and I have tickets to the Army Navy football game on 12/10.

SC is a possibility if SA isn't closer. I guess they announced SA last year in mid-March.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    I don't think I can go to the GPF...but I'm not positive. I'm starting college next year, so it just depends on my finals schedule.

But I'm really hoping to go to SA this year!

vCash
    Sigh. An embarrassment of riches - US Nats 2012 in my backyard in San Jose, GP Final in Quebec City in Dec 2011 (one of my favorite cities in the world) and 4CC 2012 an easy trip away in Colorado Springs. This is not going to be an easy decision process.

vCash

Grand Prix Final in Quebec City

That is terrific news that the GPF will be in Quebec City! I couldn't find out from the article how and when tickets will be available? If anyone knows could you please post the info.?

I've never been to a Grand Prix Final and I am really looking forward to going... I'm happy this will be within driving distance for me!

Wondering, too, for anyone who has been to a GPF before, is there a gala on Sunday evening? Also, what happens on Thursday?

The dates are Dec. 8-11 and I'm wondering if I'll want to plan to stay over Sunday night or if everything will end in the afternoon?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quebec City is gorgeous, and there is a lot to do and see there that you won't get to do (or do much of) during the competition, including eating great food. If you can afford the time and $ to stay an extra overnight (or two or three), you won't regret it.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Skate Canada made the announcement today of pre-sale all event tickets for GPF 2011, going on sale only between May 3-11.
    http://www.skatecanada.ca/

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast