Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

vCash
    Anyone buy their tickets today? Got mine. Can't wait!

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Got mine too! I'm looking forward to seeing you again!
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    I am very happy that, other than the Australian event, all other JGPs are in Europe.

Sorry NA fans but most federations don't use the spots for events outside Europe because they aren't able to afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by sandra_persch View Post
    oki doki lets get into the details
    Singles - down to 10 entries each
    Dance - down to 8 entries each
    Pairs - remains at 8

Top 6 from worlds can do 3 events like in the past
    ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME?

Not only will there be less spots, the top skaters will now be able to do one extra event, further taking away the opportunity from skaters lower down the rankings to compete.

F*** ISU. Honestly, I hope Cinquanta goes under a bus.

Kudos for making figure skating a more and more exclusive sport.

It looks like they don't give a rat's ass about skating outside the few top countries. Bastards.

minimum score will be implemented at 2/3 of the previous season top score ... example Pairs S/S currently first with 210.72 so minimum score would be 140.48

minimum score can be achieved in the previous season or at the autumn internationals like Nebelhorn Trophy
    Great.

So under this rule, Kadlecova/Bidar who are a very promising young team and have been giving good performances all season will not be eligible to compete at the GP.

What is the benefit of that exactly?

As Oleda said:
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Is the ISU trying to kill the sport?
    And consider how relatively overmarked the best performances usually are.

By that I mean: if the judges know that someone has clearly given a best performance, then they go overboard with the marks, especially the PCS.

Savchenko/Szolkowy, Chan and Davis/White all gave great performances at Worlds but judging an average skater against the marks they were given is just ridiculous.

There are some Worlds where the winning performance is nothing special and some where it's clearly head and shoulders above the rest (the current Worlds are the second kind).

Sandra that minimum score is for GP only, right? Or is the new minimum score in general?

I mean, if it's for Euros and Worlds too, then they've just killed the sport...

Surely that can't pass, it will destroy the sport!

massive change to the substitution rules
    the list is updated after each ISU senior event and published on the ISU homepage. if a skater or pair withdraws the first one in the ranking of the substitute list has to be invited. no more replacing with the lowest ranked skaters on the list. it has to be the number 1 on the list of substitutes.
    At least some good news!

That definitely makes sense. And it enables skaters who performed well in the CURRENT season to get invited.

If that was in place this season, teams like Zhiganshina/Gazsi and Walden/Edwards could have had a chance (well depending on the current minimum score). It will also create a further incentive for skaters to do B-Internationals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss My 1040 View Post
    I can live without all of those skaters.
    Well, it's not about you.

It's about giving incentives for skaters to train and compete, to keep the sport going.

If I was an average level skater, the prospects of not being able to do the GP and taking part in humiliating Preliminary Round that won't even get broadcast anywhere would surely motivate me to sacrifice a huge part of my life and my health to daily, gruelling practices.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    minimum score will be implemented at 2/3 of the previous season top score ... example Pairs S/S currently first with 210.72 so minimum score would be 140.48
    Was this from an example, or did the magazine assume that the top score was the combined TES and PCS? Last year's minimum scores were TES only, and they were by phase and could be reached in separate competitions.

So for Men, if all events, not just GP count, is the minimum score really 2/3 of 280.08, Chan's total score at Worlds? Or is is 2/3 of his TES for the competition of 147.92? (I'm assuming his combined TES is the highest TES total; there's no easy way to look this up?) Or is the minimum score for the SP 2/3 of Chan's 51.48 (again assuming this was the highest) and for the FS, 2/3 of Kozuka's 98.53 (if this was the highest FS TES)?

If the latter, then the minimum TES score for Men would be 34.32, 34 if rounded, for the SP and 65.68, or 66 if rounded, for the FS, compared to 20 for the SP and 35 for the FS this season.

This should eliminate the need for any quali round... Only 18 of the Men who reached the FS met this score in the FS, and while some might have had higher scores in other competitions, the score is rather daunting, and must be achieved for Euros and 4C's, if there is one standard for championships. Also, they've reduced elements in some years and have re-calibrated the base values and GOEs, making it difficult to compare from year-to-year.

It would also make it interesting for various Nationals, where an otherwise qualifying skater would be skipped over for a skater who met the standard in the fall, a while before the skater was expected to peak for championships.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 05-04-2011 at 02:56 AM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    It would also make it interesting for various Nationals, where an otherwise qualifying skater would be skipped over for a skater who met the standard in the fall, a while before the skater was expected to peak for championships.
    That will surely result in a lot of the US and Canadian Summer comps changed into B-Internationals. Which will be a good thing.

But the principle of comparing an average skater to the one-in-a-million one is just so so wrong...

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I bought my GPF ticket and got the order confirmation in the mail today, including the following info:

• The all-even ticket package includes access to all official practices, competitions and the exhibition gala.
    • Ticket buyers will be contacted prior to the general public on sale in September 2011 for their seat assignments.
    • All seats will be assigned on a priority basis.
    • Souvenir tickets will be sent by courier in October 2011.
    • The competition schedule will be available in the fall of 2011 and athletes competing will be announced at the completion of the Grand Prix Series' events.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Got mine too! Can't wait!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456