Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

US Figure Skating Hall Of Fame Nominees

None in the Women's category.

I would think Lori Nichol would be a shoo-in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missing View Post
    None in the Women's category.

I would think Lori Nichol would be a shoo-in.
    I thought Lori was Canadian..???

vCash
    I don't know anything about the nominating rules, etc., but obviously Lori Nichol's contributions as a choreographer for U.S., Canadian, and a multitude of international skaters are inestimable, and extend far beyond any barriers of nationality/ country of origin.

vCash
    I recall reading an article in which it was mentioned that Lori Nichol competed up to the Novice level in the U.S. and was coached by Don Laws.

From the press release:
    All nominees on the ballot have met criteria established by the Nomination Committee. An esteemed panel of 85 electors will cast votes for the Class of 2013, which will be announced Dec. 17. Induction ceremonies will be held at the 2013 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships, which will be held Jan. 20-27, in Omaha, Neb.

CATEGORY A: Outstanding Competitor / Ladies
    None

CATEGORY A: Outstanding Competitor / Men
    Rudy Galindo
    Robert Specht
    Michael Weiss

CATEGORY A: Outstanding Competitor / Ice dancing
    None

CATEGORY A: Outstanding Competitor / Pairs
    None

CATEGORY B: Outstanding Coach
    Lynn Benson
    Thomas McGinnis

CATEGORY C: Outstanding Contributor (non-athletic)
    Albert Beard
    Franklin Nelson
    Claire Waters Ferguson

CATEGORY D: Outstanding Contributor (creative impact)
    Lori Nichol
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    ^^ Then maybe Lori has dual citizenship.

vCash
    I hope that Rudy makes it, this time.

vCash
    I think this must be the most BS Hall of Fame anywhere. Any skater who ever wins a world medal or national title seems to eventually get in, so it really should be called Hall of Pretty Good Skaters and a Lot of Folks Noone Outside USFS Circles Ever Heard Of. As I recall, half or more of the members are not skaters at all but USFS administrators and other off-ice employees. I've been watching skating since Peggy Fleming and have never heard of most of these folks (the exceptions being the 3 men skaters, Nichol and Claire Ferguson).

vCash
    Plus one and ditto about Rudy! I bet he makes it and he does deserve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I think what's BS is that some of the categories are blank. Could they not find any Ladies or Pairs to nominate?
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Amen!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I think this must be the most BS Hall of Fame anywhere. Any skater who ever wins a world medal or national title seems to eventually get in, so it really should be called Hall of Pretty Good Skaters and a Lot of Folks Noone Outside USFS Circles Ever Heard Of. As I recall, half or more of the members are not skaters at all but USFS administrators and other off-ice employees. I've been watching skating since Peggy Fleming and have never heard of most of these folks (the exceptions being the 3 men skaters, Nichol and Claire Ferguson).
    Pretty amazing that you never heard of Lori Nichol considering she was Ms. Kwan's choreographer. Sounds to me like you might not be the knowledgable judge you think you are of BS LOL!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Pretty amazing that you never heard of Lori Nichol
    You need to read a little more carefully before you start insulting people. I said I had heard of Nichol, Ferguson and the three men. (See the part where it says "the exceptions being ...")

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Pretty amazing that you never heard of Lori Nichol considering she was Ms. Kwan's choreographer. Sounds to me like you might not be the knowledgable judge you think you are of BS LOL!
    Not to get myself tangled up in a disucssion on the merits of the USFSHOF or its nominating process, but in her post, SusanM did mention that she knows who Lori Nichol is.

vCash
    Al Beard is the man who wrote the programs that allowed for US Figure Skating to go from manual calculations to computer results (starting in 1972). He was responsible for getting Honeywell to donate computer time so that the results could be presented live following each skater. Whel personal computers became available he was responsible for converting the programs so that every event could offer the same quick turn around of the results for the skaters. He has been involved with about every generation of system improvement including the current IJS systems. A skating father, who became a pioneer in development of the sport's accounting systems. He is well deserving of a place in the US HOF

vCash
    Lynn Benson may be the most acclaimed synchro coach in USFS history: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story...9648&type=news

A local Massachusetts article on Thomas McGinnis after he was voted into the PSA Coaches Hall of Fame in 2009: http://www.wickedlocal.com/weston/ne...#axzz2DX925ZS7

Al Beard is a famous accountant. ETA: Thanks to Emmett for elaborating more than I could about Beard's significance to USFS' development. (Is he the Al in HAL, anyone know?)
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash

I am rooting for him.

vCash
    congrats to all nominees, none in women isn't except for kimmie who might be eligible. she is the only lady with a medal that is eligilbe in the last few years.
    sasha went to 2010-otherwise would have been
    other could have been tonia kwiatikowski, angela nikodinov.

or nicole or tonya harding, but personally i wouldn't nominate them.

vCash
    Tom McGinnis is pretty much of a legnd in the New England skating scene. I'm only surprised that he isn't already in the US Hall of Fame.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Thanks for the info on McGinnis, Beard and Benson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    You need to read a little more carefully before you start insulting people. I said I had heard of Nichol, Ferguson and the three men. (See the part where it says "the exceptions being ...")
    You are right. I apologize for that

I assume in most sports there are LOTS of behind the scenes folks that do a LOT to make things happen that you and I wouldn't know about. I would not assume "honoring" them is BS. It's just as "insulting" for you to assume that since you don't know them they don't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast