Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stejoho40 View Post
    Does anyone know what hotel was the Skaters Hotel at previous events there?
    I was very near the cenue in 2000, IIRC the skaters could walk there from the main rink, so it was easy to meet and greet them.

( I remember wishing good luck to Julia Obertas in the FS day. She was a 16-year-old diva. In the night, there was the horrible accident when she fell from the lift on top her partner, Palamarchuk, who was unconcious for minutes...)

vCash
    Did they let you bring food in then? And were the seats like benches with no backs, or like regular seats?
    As far as I remember, there wasn't a problem about taking food in. Seats were usual plastic ones - with backs, but take a cushion!

vCash

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    I was very near the cenue in 2000, IIRC the skaters could walk there from the main rink, so it was easy to meet and greet them.

( I remember wishing good luck to Julia Obertas in the FS day. She was a 16-year-old diva. In the night, there was the horrible accident when she fell from the lift on top her partner, Palamarchuk, who was unconcious for minutes...)
    I think the skaters' hotel was the next-door Novotel.
    I, too, remember the accident - memorable because it took a long time for any First Aid to arrive and then they dragged Palamarchuk across the ice. Julia was totally shocked and I guess it was the end of that partnership.
    The practice rink was on top of a multi-storey car park across the road.
    Last time I drove down from the UK but never again, the drivers in Nice are totally mad and disregard all the usual traffic rules.

Eh?
    vCash
    Flights purchased and hotel booked. Mr. DaveRocks and I are looking forward to it!

vCash
    Any idea when tickets will go on sale, or if/when the website will be up? (I tried looking for it but didn't find one...)
    just my two cents...

vCash
    Any info?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lukeanthony View Post
    Any info?

We have no information!

Briber of judges
    vCash
    I'm still considering going, even though I know I am going to US Nationals too.

Is about 125 euros a night a reasonable guess for what a decent room near the venue may cost, or am I lowballing my budgeting?
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I'm still considering going, even though I know I am going to US Nationals too.

Is about 125 euros a night a reasonable guess for what a decent room near the venue may cost, or am I lowballing my budgeting?
    That sounds about right.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    bumping in case anyone has any news to post...
    just my two cents...

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I have no facts to base this on at all, but I'd guess ticket sales are going to be some time in the autumn.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    What is crappy about the arena? Seats? Cold? Concession stands?
    The worst is that it isn't an arena at all. They have to construct the stands, carry in the seats and the ice just for this event. No part of the infrastructure has been designed to serve this many people at once.

It's crazy that the federation cannot find a way organise these championships in Montpellier or Paris. Probably much fewer tickets will be available too. What was the capacity last time? I don't remember.

vCash

Smile Sightseeing suggestions for southern France?

It's starting to look like I will actually be able to take 2-3 of weeks to go to France for this! Does anyone have any suggestions for things to do and see while I'm in that area of France? I know I won't have enough time to see ALL of France, so I figure I'll plan on seeing the southern part this time around (and then I have a good excuse to go back later to see the North!). I also like to spend a few days in one place and go out from there on day trips - I do not like moving a lot and spending each night in a different location.

So I've just started dreaming about this, but I'm thinking of probably landing in Paris and spending a few days there, then moving to somewhere else, then finishing up in Nice for the competition.

Does anyone have any suggestions for places to go and things to see? Is it easy to take the train from place to place? Should I plan a few days to sight-see in Nice outside of the competition? (I'm not a beach person, so even if the weather is nice enough, that's not an attraction for me.) I do enjoy good wine and food, historical sights, walking, museums, art, and did I mention good wine and food?
    just my two cents...

vCash
    The provence area nearby is a little piece of heaven on earth. Monaco/Monte Carlo is a stunning city. Corsica, a drive to Italy or Swizterland..You have so many options. The high speed train in France is one of its best assets when they are not on strike.

Nice does not have sandy beaches (maybe a small part)...Some people like the "Stones"..I absolutely hate them..the most uncomfortable thing ever.

Lyon, and the Rhone area would be what you are looking for for great food/wine vacation and it is a short train ride from Paris.

Nice is nice but there many much more interesting places to visit in the South of France.

vCash
    My favorite place during a trip to France many years ago was a seaside ville called Cassis. I had a wonderful time just strolling through the downtown and waterfront. I also went on a boat ride along the coast where we slipped in & out of the many coastal coves. It was beautifully sunny and the perfect afternoon to spend out on the water. My one day in Cassis was easily my favorite day while in France.

vCash
    Next to Nice you should go :
    - to Cannes of course. A few miles away. Nice sand beach, cool shopping centers (although a bit too expensive IMHO).
    - Grasse has MANY things to visit, especially if you're fond of ceramic. I still have regrets about not buying some things there the last time I went. Grasse is also reknown as a perfume center since most of french fragrance are manufactured there.
    - if you like the mountains, there are, if memory serves, two natural reserves next to Nice, Mercantour and Verdon. You can also try to find some nice trekking to make there, maybe Cholla can give you more advice about what to do there. But it's really wonderfull there.
    - Menton isn't far away and is also a nice one day trip.

And you can still go a bit up to Manosque, even Gap, where you have many things to visit. Like castles and so on.
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Antibes, Eze-Sur-Mer (splendid village))..

vCash
    Oh definately see Eze...its magical.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Well sh*t. I had a room booked at the Novotel, and just got an email that they cancelled my reservation, as the entire hotel was being used for the competition. So much for booking early. Now I'm looking for somewhere else reasonable close by. Or maybe I will give in and book with a tour group.

Sigh.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Was it the Novetel Nice Centre? So far they haven't cancelled mine. Whew.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast