Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    i wonder if they will be using acropolis convention center for worlds 2012? it was the host arena for 2000.

vCash
    I would really like Montpellier! I think I will attend with my mom. It would be the first Worlds for both of us!

vCash
    Wow! That's a surprise. I had no idea that the venue might change. Montpelier sounds like a much better arena for spectators.

vCash
    Excuse my geographic ignorance, but I assume Montpelier is somewhat close to Nice? How difficult would it be to get there?
    just my two cents...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lurvylurker View Post
    Excuse my geographic ignorance, but I assume Montpelier is somewhat close to Nice? How difficult would it be to get there?
    It's not close, Montpellier is somewhere else completely, about 200 miles away from Nice. You might want to look at google maps?
    Anyway, if worlds is held there, it would be lovely, I think. Montpellier is a great city & has an international airport, so it should be no problem getting there. And it should be less expensive than Nice.

vCash
    What about getting around in Montpelier? To and from the rink and hotels for example? Is there public transportation? Or should you have a car?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8pics View Post
    Is there public transportation? Or should you have a car?
    I have traveled trough Europe and public transportation was good everywhere. If the arena is not in the center of the city it might make the thinks a bit more complicated thought.

Fearless Musher
    vCash
    IMO Montpellier would be a much better choice than Nice... No sure it would be much cheaper though, as it's bout as touristic. But it's surely a much more welcoming and friendly city. [But OK, I'm not too fond o French Riviera...]
    "I missed the view and viewed the mist..." ©

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lurvylurker View Post
    Actually, Montpelier is in Vermont. Montpellier, on the other hand, is about 200 miles west of Nice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8pics View Post
    What about getting around in Montpelier? To and from the rink and hotels for example? Is there public transportation? Or should you have a car?
    Montpellier has two tram lines and a third one under construction. From what I've been able to gather, the line currently under construction will have a stop at Parc des Expositions, which is where the new arena has been built. They're scheduled to begin testing the line in January 2012 and commence service sometime in the spring or summer. Obviously having it in service by late March would be preferable for skating fans.

vCash
    Thanks for the info, Aaron W.

Nekatiivi, I have traveled extensively through Europe as well, and was in Nice for Worlds, but I wanted to know the particulars about Montpellier.

vCash
    Interesting that figure skating worlds might be in Montpellier. I have my tickets for rhythmic gymnastics world championships which will also be held in Montpellier in September of this year. I have not booked accommodation yet but from what I hear it is a small town and accommodation can be competitive. I am going with a group of friends to rhythmic worlds and we are considering hiring a villa outside of the town centre. Will let everyone know what it's like after September!

vCash
    Re transportation:

Montpellier is served by railway, including TGV highspeed trains. Montpellier's main railway station is Saint-Roch.

The Montpellier – Méditerranée Airport is located in the area of Fréjorgues, in the town of Mauguio, southeast of Montpellier.

The Transports de l'agglomération de Montpellier (TaM) manages the city's public transportation, including its tramway network consisting of two lines and several parking facilities. Line 1 runs from Mosson in the west to Odysseum in the east. Line 2 runs from Jacou in the northeast to St. Jean-de-Vedas in the southwest. They intersect at Gare St. Roch station, Place de l'Europe and again in front of the Corum. Work on Line 3, which is planned to be in service by 2012, has started. This 22.4 km (13.9 mi) line will link Juvignac and Perols with a branch to Lattes and will serve 32 stations. A fourth line is planned. Recently the Tram and the bus lines have been shut down for several days at a time due to strikes by the employees.

The TaM also manages the large bike sharing scheme Vélomagg', started in June 2007, comprising 1200 bicycles and 50 stations.[4][5]
    [edit]

vCash
    Thank you everyone for the local information on Nice and Montpellier. Eventhough there's lots of information available on the internet, it's still valuable for me to hear it from fellow skating fans who have specific requirements (e.g. accessibilty to/from arena, etc.) vs the normal tourist!

Any rumors on when tickets will go on sale?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FridaCat View Post
    Any rumors on when tickets will go on sale?
    Any idea yet as to where Worlds 2012 will actually be held?
    I am torn between wanting Nice or Montpellier. But it's not up to me

vCash
    Just starting the early planning stages with some friends on what event we want to attend next season and the possible move from Nice to Montpellier makes things interesting.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what the French Federation/ISU decides. Hopefully they'll be a formal announcement soon.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I found the arena web site, but it didn't have any kind of seating chart that I could find. If what I saw on an the tourism web site was accurate the venue only seats about 9000 for sporting events.

It looks like there are plenty of hotel options though.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I found the arena web site, but it didn't have any kind of seating chart that I could find. If what I saw on an the tourism web site was accurate the venue only seats about 9000 for sporting events.
    "Only" 9000? A capacity of 9000 is quite good for a figure skating competition in Europe, even if it's the Worlds.

vCash
    Yes, 9,000 is very good for Europe...but those of us from North America find it small. On the other hand, it does make for a more intimate venue -- I find it nice and cozy!
    just my two cents...

vCash
    Has anyone heard anything recently that might get us closer to confirming whether Nice or Montpellier is the location?

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast