Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    It seems 100% ridiculous that places like Rainbo and the Skatetape store links above are selling outdated VHS tapes for $49.95. Rainbo has had copies sitting in the same spot in their store for years, and has never discounted them as far as I know. But why would anyone spend that kind of money for old technology that they are going to want to convert to DVD anyway? They really should put them on sale.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    From what I understood, the tapes were incredibly expensive to produce and therefore the profit margin on them is very small. I bought mine wholesale (through a shop owner) and IIRC, the wholesale cost was in the $50 range.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

podcast mistress
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    From what I understood, the tapes were incredibly expensive to produce and therefore the profit margin on them is very small. I bought mine wholesale (through a shop owner) and IIRC, the wholesale cost was in the $50 range.
    Understood, but DVDs have been around for how long? These tapes are not going to sell at $50 a piece.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I have all three Lussi tapes and can confirm that yes, there are interviews with various skaters in the beginning, Ludington, Hammill and others, who discuss their history with Lussi and some of his quirky training techniques. This may be the "documentary" you are referring to. Since both were produced by Cecily Morrow, she probably used the same interview footage. Mine are old and starting to disintegrate and they were very expensive! I never saw a 4th volume for sale. I wonder if it was ever produced.

These might help - maybe they're not out of print?:
    http://skatetape.com/systematicfigur...spins-vhs.aspx
    http://skatetape.com/systematicfigur...spins-vhs.aspx
    http://skatetape.com/systematicfigur...jumps-vhs.aspx
    http://skatetape.com/systematicfigur...volumeset.aspx
    I borrowed the Lussi videos from a skating school/club for a few weeks. They're good, but the techniques don't work for everyone and not every coach teaches the Lussi methods.

I don't think there are four volumes. I believe the confusion is that many online sites sell the three VHS tapes individually and then offer a fourth "Package" option to buy all three.

I do remember recording the documentary from TV once a long time ago during an olympic year...I think it's the same interviews without the skating demonstrations.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 01-27-2011 at 04:43 PM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Mine are old and starting to disintegrate and they were very expensive! I never saw a 4th volume for sale. I wonder if it was ever produced.
    Is it possible to get them transferred to DVD or new tapes? They are treasures. I know I'd be crushed if I had them, and then they were no more.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Is it possible to get them transferred to DVD or new tapes? They are treasures. I know I'd be crushed if I had them, and then they were no more.
    I think there is a label on the tape that says they are encrypted with technology that blocks any effort at copying. I haven't tried.

vCash
    If you think the tapes can't be copied to dvd, I don't want to buy them either (vol. 3 costs $64). The tapes my former coach had were in bad shape also.

There is a phone number to call for information about the tapes on the Wikipedia site for Gus Lussi. It is a 410 area code so I would guess it is Cecily Morrow's number (last I heard she was living in Easton, MD). I will try it.

Lussi's daughter-in-law coaches in my area. She might have access to the copyright or know who does. If all else fails I could ask her.

vCash
    Thanks for following up on this.
    Please, let us know what you discover.

vCash
    I think there is a label on the tape that says they are encrypted with technology that blocks any effort at copying. I haven't tried.
    I didn't know you could encrypt tapes (aren't they analog technology?). Maybe they self-destruct like on Mission Impossible!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Thanks for following up on this.
    Please, let us know what you discover.
    I called the number on the wikipedia site and it was indeed Cecily Morrow. She was home sick in bed but was pleasant and happy to talk to me. She told me that Lussi left her his autobiography and that she plans to get it out in the fall. She would like to re-issue the tapes in dvd format at the same time. She referred me to her distributor Jonathan Fishbein/skatetape.com about issuing the tapes in dvd in the meantime.

I called Jonathan and he told me that he is slowly re-issuing the tapes in dvd (he has 500 titles) but that skate tapes are a specialty market and it is hard to anticipate the demand. He said he had not sold any Lussi tapes in the past few years (he sells to Rainbo et al) and that I was the first person to inquire about converting them to dvd. I also got the impression (although he didn't say it) that he would like to sell his inventory of tapes first.

He told me that if anyone is interested in having the Lussi tapes in dvd (or any other tapes he has) they should contact him at info@skatetape.com.
    The price for the dvd would be the same as the tape price.

I also asked both of them about the PBS special, both of them said that they don't have the rights. I guess PBS owns that.

Cecily also told me some fun anecdotes about Dick Button and Lussi and said she would be happy to talk to anyone who calls. I had met her years ago at a skating rink and she is always very easy to talk to. I'm sure she would like to create some buzz for her projects. Both she and Jonathan gave me some interesting insights into their business ventures as well.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Wow, what a gold mine of information! This struck me as odd:

...skate tapes are a specialty market and it is hard to anticipate the demand. He said he had not sold any Lussi tapes in the past few years (he sells to Rainbo et al) and that I was the first person to inquire about converting them to dvd.
    Who wouldn't want them on DVD? Maybe that's why he isn't selling them?

vCash
    Cecily contacted. Jonathan has decided to convert the Lussi tapes to dvd in the next couple of weeks. I committed to buying a set. I have seen 1 & 2 and think they are worth it. Apparently #4 was never made so I'll live without my triples

podcast mistress
    vCash
    I sent him an email., Thanks so much for following up!

vCash
    Thank you everyone for your interest in Mr. Lussi and his videos. They are now available on DVD and as downloads on the website www.icecommand.com, or you can google "Cecily Morrow". I am also starting to work on the project again to finish Volume IV. The format will be the same -- Mr. Lussi, Paul Wylie, etc. I apologize for taking so long to finish this project, but I was home schooling my son for many years and life intervened. For more information go to website above and feel free to contact me there.

vCash
    Haven't studied this carefully, but downloads appear available from this site:

http://www.icecommand.com/videos.html

See cecily beat me to it.

moving right along
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cecily View Post
    Thank you everyone for your interest in Mr. Lussi and his videos. They are now available on DVD and as downloads on the website www.icecommand.com, or you can google "Cecily Morrow". I am also starting to work on the project again to finish Volume IV. The format will be the same -- Mr. Lussi, Paul Wylie, etc. I apologize for taking so long to finish this project, but I was home schooling my son for many years and life intervened. For more information go to website above and feel free to contact me there.
    Cecily, I'm thrilled that you are going to finish volume IV. I love Lussi. xoxoxo

vCash
    I'm glad to see that they are available for download by topic at $4-6$ ea. That makes them more affordable, plus a lot of people nowadays are not into dvds anymore either. Technology moves fast!

podcast mistress
    vCash
    I interviewed Cecily recently for www.manleywoman.com. She was a delight! And so full of great stories. I have the DVDs which I'm thrilled to have. They never go out of style, that technique is solid. Someone else also sent me the PBS documentary on Lussi which was wonderful. I hope everyone gets to see it. I had posted on another thread earlier thus month that Cecily recommended that people contact their PBS station to request to see it. Perhaps thug could put it on YouTube someday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12