vCash

Potential Work Trip to Dallas - Things to do ?

So I potentially am going on a work trip to Dallas in February. Are there are any must sees?

vCash
    Miranda Lambert is playing at Billy Bob's on the 18th and 19th. Although it's sold out, you might be able to score some resale tix. Full concert schedule is here.

I consider Billy Bob's a must see, just because of the audacity of the place. Even if you can't get tix to a concert night, see if your workmates will take you to see it.
    Last edited by Aceon6; 01-21-2011 at 02:20 PM. Reason: fixed URL
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Sixth Floor Museum - it's really interesting, and thought provoking. (Dealy Plaza - up the hill from the Hilton.

vCash
    I just went on a tour of Cowboys stadium. I'm not a football fan but I still found it really interesting. It was featured on history channel and is the largest unsupported structure in the world.

If you're interested in sculpture, I'd recommend the Nasher Sculpture center...it's an indoor/outdoor space a beautiful setting to admire art. The Dallas Museum of Art and Trammell Crow Asian Art center are both within walking distance of the Nasher, so you could do all 3 in one day. The Asian Art center is free and houses an extensive private collection, I took my folks there and couldn't get them to leave until they were ready to close
    Last edited by FunnyBut; 01-21-2011 at 03:23 PM.

vCash
    Honestly? Nothing.

As someone who is from Dallas, I think we seriously have nothing to offer.

Billy Bob's is in Fort Worth, btw. So you have to drive. I think you can take the dart - but the dart is generally not a safe ride. They do not check tickets and women traveling alone should be armed with pepper spray.

If you do take the dart to Fort Worth (Stockyards and Billy Bob's) - I think you take it to a train station and must ride the train to Fort Worth.

...an acquired taste
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    As someone who is from Dallas, I think we seriously have nothing to offer.
    Aw come on- there's lots of tall buildings and concrete...

vCash
    Reunion Tower has a Wolfgang Puck restaurant. I haven't eaten in the restaurant but I have had drinks & appetizers in the bar & it's really nice. The tower rotates like Seattle's space needle so the view is fantastic.

I live in Fort Worth & I think there is lots to do in both cities. Fort Worth's Stockyards has many original buildings from the cattle drive days & is interesting. You can ride on a longhorn or visit the cowboy museum there or visit Billy Bob's: the largest honky-tonk in the world.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Aw come on- there's lots of tall buildings and concrete...
    Lol that's about right. And overpriced carriage rides!

Fort Worth is fun - the Stockyards could easily be an all day thing. You should do that!

vCash
    A trip to Ft. Worth is well worth it -- the museum district is manageable and first rate! Downtown Ft. Worth is awesome -- have a beer for me at the Flying Saucer Saloon neer Bass Hall...over a 100 beers on tap....sigh....

You can also drive to Grapevine (quaint small town square suurounded by upper middle class suburbs) - just north of DFW - and take a century old Tarantula train to the Ft. Worth Stockyards.

But, yeah. Dallas proper?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nypanda View Post
    But, yeah. Dallas proper?
    ITA. When I had business in Dallas, I just trusted my workmates to get me to the right places. I don't think we ever did anything in Dallas proper.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    There is Fair Park theater where they put on musicals...not local talent but the touring companies & the Eichmann in North Dallas has the Symphony & puts on things like the piano competitions. You can google for their schedules for when you come. The Nokia in Grand Prairie (a suburb to the west of Dallas) gets things like the Amer Idol tour & other musical tours. The Galleria Mall is worth a trip too. But I agree (plus I'm biased) that Fort Worth has more to see & do.

vCash
    Just a warning about Fair park - if there is no reason for you to be there, please do not hang out down there. It is dangerous. If you are going to a musical or a show - it should be fine. Otherwise, avoid it.

vCash
    I lived in a suburb of Dallas for a few years. I love Dallas. Places to visit- JFK memorial (where he was shot), Cowboys stadium (I have not yet seen the new one; I had visited Texas Stadium)- it's in Arlington. The Hyatt tower is very nice, if you want to have a leisurely dinner and watch the city lights. They have nice cultural programs; you will need to look up the local listings/schedules. Other than that, I can't think of any tourist type places. I just loved living there.

vCash
    I had to go to Dallas for work once. I only remember liking two things, sorry - this very, very cool outdoor sculpture of running wild horses which is somewhere near the Convention Center, and the beef. Honestly, if you eat meat, try to find a good steak house. The beef in Dallas was, IMO, very nice.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Fort Worth is more what people think of when they think Dallas, ironically. It's very country and less urban in a lot of ways than Dallas. The Stock Yards are always fun and Billy Bob's is a must-see. The Botanical Gardens off University in Ft Worth are also gorgeous.

Public transportation in Dallas/Fort Worth sucks, though. The DART runs from Dallas to Fort Worth and back but not to Arlington, which is the major tourist hub (Ball park, Cowboys Stadium, Six Flags). The Dallas Museum of Art is free on Wednesdays, I want to say, and is nice for a quiet afternoon.

vCash
    Are there still great cafeterias in Dallas?