Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    I loved the Monkees.
    Anyone remember "Zilch"

Can't really think of a song I don't like!

I remember that my sister was totally crazy about the show and one night when it was on, our Dad was watching football and would not switch it for the 30 min show. She threw herself on her bed crying. We still laugh about the "drama" of the moment!!

Also, she and her best friend were in their early teens and still would play with my best friend and I. They played we were their kids (I was 7 years younger than my sister) and our "Dads" were either Paul McCartney & John Lennon or Davy Jones & Mikey Dolenz!

Also, there was another Davy Jones that started using a different stage name so he would not be confused the the Davy Jones of the Monkees...David Bowie.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    ...and Marcia Brady went on a "date" with Davy.
    and never washed her cheek again.

I watched the show a few times as a kid, no great memories, but the Brady Bunch episode, yes! I do enjoy their songs.

vCash
    Oh wow, great thread! At the time I was too young to get most of the jokes (and I didn't think my Mom did either, or she wouldn't have allowed us to watch). Great concept for the show at the time. They always had slapstick going on.
    Now when I watch the reruns I get it. Loved all the songs.
    About a year ago AMC or something ran Head, Help, and Mrs Brown You Have a Lovely Daughter (Peter Noon) and it was about a dog!. Loved it. Other then the Peter Noon one, I think the rest were all writen while someone on asid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    My sister and I loved The Monkees! We always watched their show and bought their records. Peter and Mickey were my favorites. Mickey has a nice voice, too. Hmmmm, it's hard to just name one song, so here are a few that I really like:

Sometime in the Morning
    She
    Last Train to Clarksville
    Your Aunti Grizelda
    The Girl I knew Somewhere
    Cuddly Toy
    Gosh, I loved "She". Haven't thought about that song for years. I used to play it over and over from the album. I still have a couple Monkees 45s!!! (I'm glad this thread is full of people who know what 45s and albums are!!!) Mickey was my favorite too. On his birthday, we sang "Happy Birthday" and my best friend, Shauna, said she didn't sing the word "dear" before "Mickey" because she liked Davy! Uh, we were like 8 years old?????

vCash
    I was in jr high. My family was Catholic and I had to go to CCD on the night it was on!

We used to watch it on a Baltimore channel (we lived in DC) which had bumped it to Sat. afternoon.
    It was so fuzzy we could hardly see it.

I still have 2 alblums.

vCash
    Originally Posted by Sparks
    ...and Marcia Brady went on a "date" with Davy.

Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    and never washed her cheek again.
    Oh, of course! I think the first time I ever heard of Davey Jones was when I watched this episode of the Brady Bunch.... I didn't know who
    The Monkees were then. Of course I found out more afterwards, but any mention of them still conjures up that episode in my mind.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Peter Tork was my first TV crush when I was five and The Monkees were on syndicated TV. I of course didn't understand a bloody thing WRT the jokes, but I loved the music.

My exBF and I went and saw them in concert for their first reunion tour in 1986. I figured the turnout at the Omni would have been light, but it was pretty much sold out. The BF and I stood out like sore thumbs as we were in full punk regalia and surrounded by The Future Soccer Moms of America .

Favorite song? To many to list, but I've always loved Randy Scouse Git just a little more than all of the other ones.
    "Meryl is from a magic planet where Disney princesses come from, and [Charlie's] hair is a magic carpet." ~~ Stephen Colbert, on The Colbert Report

vCash
    In case anyone missed it: Papa Gene's Blues, a Mike Nesmith origional. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiKQ3Cvy0OA

vCash
    When I was a teen back in the late 1980's, I was into 16 Magazine, and Tiger Beat. The Monkees were actually in the color pin-up picture sections and featured in articles, right alongside people like Kirk Cameron, Coreys Feldman and Haim and NKOTB.

vCash
    Goodness, my cousins were obsessed with them when we were kids and the show was in reruns. I think my favorite song of theirs was "Steppin' Stone" just because every punk band I liked in the 80s did a cover of it.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12