Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Comansnala?
    vCash

The Monkees, thoughts, sentiments, favourite story, song, whatever ...

The Monkees, part of my childhood, Davy Jones my first love, Peter Tork my favourite character (now), "fairytale" my fav. story plus Liberace destroying a piano in another ... really, REALLY!!! love a few songs from "Head" plus "Daydream Believer" and "Steppin' Stone" ... AND YOU???

vCash
    Somebody just gave away how old she is! hehehe The Monkees were a bit before my time but I do remember hearing Daydream Believer all the time on the radio when I was younger. Still love that song! Didn't they also have a comedy tv show as well?

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    1966. Everybody trying to cash in on The Beatles success. So the Monkees were assembled for TV. Some wag called them “The Pre-Fab Four." "Pleasant Vally Sunday,” “Saturday’s Child” and “Valleri” are perhaps my favourite tunes. Just slight difference of opinion, Zokko. Paul Revere and The Raiders “Steppin’ Stone” was much more powerful. Listen to Mark Lindsay’s growl of a delivery.
    Last edited by Reuven; 01-21-2011 at 12:06 AM.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    My mother never forgave my grandmother for giving away her Monkees sweatshirt.

vCash
    Yes - they were assembled for TV and really didn't have any intentions of them singing/playing their own songs. Mostly were looking for a Beatles image.
    Davy = Paul M looks, Mike N = George Harrison, Peter Tork, sort out of the ordinary but more to be John Lennon look, Mickey - Ringo.
    FYI - Mike's mother invented White out.
    IIRC - they really weren't allowed to sing as a group until the second season? They had stand ins? Their later albums they had more creativity, I believe

vCash
    I loved the show, but didn't have a crush on any of them. I was only 9 - but I was in love with Robert Wagner...

My favorite Monkee's songs are not the most popular, and thanks to iTunes, I have them on my iPod. Not ashamed to say it... Sometime in the Morning,and Shades of Gray, I also have others, but those were my top two.

Fun fact - the guys had seen this great guitar player and secured him as the opening act on their tour in 1967. Unfortunately - it didn't last. The guitar player? Jimi Hendrix.

vCash
    I just love them! I've met them numerous times because my aunt would take me when I was little to their concerts. This was in the late 90s when they were broke up though, so I have never seen them all at once. But they were all the nicest people, they really love their fans.

I like Davy best

vCash
    I have the movie Head. I've always wondered what it would be like to watch it when "not" sober or high on something.

vCash
    Ahh the Monkees. I think the new Nick show, Big Time Rush is either a rip off or a salute to them; I prefer to think it's the latter.

Favorite song; Goin' Down It's impossible to sing along with, though I do try.
    Last edited by BrokenAnkle; 01-21-2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: typos and spelling

vCash
    I watched reruns of the Monkees growing up and had a crush on Mickey Love so many of the songs.

vCash
    Mickey was my favourite. We still have two of their albums hanging around the house. I think I must have liked drummers because I also liked Ringo best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reuven View Post
    1966. Everybody trying to cash in on The Beatles success. So the Monkees were assembled for TV. Some wag called them “The Pre-Fab Four." "Pleasant Vally Sunday,” “Saturday’s Child” and “Valleri” are perhaps my favourite tunes. Just slight difference of opinion, Zokko. Paul Revere and The Raiders “Steppin’ Stone” was much more powerful. Listen to Mark Lindsay’s growl of a delivery.
    I haven't listened to the entire link but that doesn't like "Steppin Stone". However, do you recognize who introduced them, cause it looks like a very, very young Michael Landon.

The Monkees
    Simply crushed on Davy - that accent got me every time even if he was a bit on the short side. He also seemed to be the one that got the girl - at least most of the time.
    Laughed at poor Peter, he just seemed so clueless. Mickey was a bit outrageous and Mike - the sane one.

Favourite song - that's a difficult question to answer cause I liked so many of them. Last Train to Clarksville, A Little Bit A Little Bit You come to mind.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Did you know "Head" was written by Jack Nicholson?

I also love "Goin' Down".

vCash
    ...and Marcia Brady went on a "date" with Davy.

vCash
    I loved the Monkees. We watched them every day after school. My favorite Monkees were Mike and Peter. I still listen to their CD's in my car. My family doesn't appreciate them as much as I do. My favorite song is "Words". There were one or two songs on the show that Mike sang lead on. I am trying to remember them--any help would be appreciated.

vCash
    You might not have had the same experiences as me, but in the '60's I was allowed 1 hour of Television a night. The Monkees was one of my 30 minutes.

vCash
    My parents worked until 5 every night. We kids 9,10 &12 were home alone for 3 hrs and watched The Three Stooges, The Little Rascals and The Monkees before we had to do our chores. What my parents didn't know, didn't hurt them.

vCash
    My sister and I loved The Monkees! We always watched their show and bought their records. Peter and Mickey were my favorites. Mickey has a nice voice, too. Hmmmm, it's hard to just name one song, so here are a few that I really like:

Sometime in the Morning
    She
    Last Train to Clarksville
    Your Aunti Grizelda
    The Girl I knew Somewhere
    Cuddly Toy
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    I loved the Monkees reruns when I was younger. Just dumb, fun entertainment. Looking back on the show, and on "Head", I am sure the entertainment could be a bit amplified by various pharmaceuticals!

Loved some of the lesser-known songs, as well as "Daydream Believer". I think "Shades of Gray" is my favorite.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Loved the Monkees, as does DH - he has every album, even "Justus." (gak)

DH and I went to a fan convention in Philly - lots of fun. Saw them in concert a few times when we were in our 30's and we were amazed at how many teens knew all the words to their songs. At the time, MTV or VH1 was airing the entire series.

Our favorite memory is of a lunchtime concert at the World Trade Center in Manhattan. The PTB had performers come in to do free concerts on the Plaza. We brought our then-5 year old daughter, who of course knew the songs, to watch Davey and Mickey perform. (Before they reunited)

They signed autographs for a long time afterwards and DH waited with our DD patiently. They were just getting ready to stop signing when Davey said "Just one mo' - the little gurl." She cherishes that autograph to this day!

Mickey Dolenz is my favorite, mainly because I won money from him (well, the show/station) in a call-in contest when he was a DJ on WCBS-FM in NYC. The station changed to Jack-FM format a few weeks later, letting him go unexpectedly, which is a shame. He was a really good morning DJ, once he stopped bragging about himself. He played good songs, had an upbeat attitude, and didn't pick on Mr. G. the weather guy. (I hate that schtick - every other AM-DJ on that station does the stereotype jokes about Mr. G. He's gotta be the impetus.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast