View Poll Results: How will the USFSA handle the Johnny-Reader's Choice Trophy situation?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Johnny gets trophy in person, during the Exhib or in-between a competitive session of Nationals

    54 72.00%
  • Johnny gets trophy...in a special ceremony at Art Devlin's, in Lake Placid, the week before Natls

    6 8.00%
  • USFSA announces mistake in counting votes; the award will really go to Evan at the Exhib

    9 12.00%
  • The trophy will be mysteriously "lost" and cannot be awarded. Sorry, Johnny!

    6 8.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 62
  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,343
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    LOL at all these excuses/ reasonings ... whether Johnny wrote a book or not, left NC before the men's final or not, he's not well-liked by TPTB in figureskating b/c he speaks truth to power. Evan is the One they want to promote, and the face of U.S. Men's figureskating (even before he won Olympic gold). If Evan had won the MK trophy, they may just have found the opportunity to air a glimpse of it on the NBC broadcast. Evan is part of the usfigureskating establishment (witness him invited to take part in the men's medal award ceremony and to have his own press conference) -- yes, he's Olympic champion, and that's the icing on the cake. But winning gold didn't happen just because he bested Plushenko -- in part it became possible because Evan was and is backed 110% by his federation. And yes, let me cut you off at the pass.. you all are sooo right ... Johnny never deserved to be backed. He beat himself ... he's such a diva. And the One IMO who has had the most influence on his generation of skaters. Yadda yadda, believe it or not. BTW, my opinion doesn't matter and neither does anyone else's. It is what it is.

    Yep, I guess we all surely know by now that Evan Lysacek is the Men's Olympic Champion, he'll always be, and Johnny will always not be (and neither will Michelle Kwan, btw). Both Johnny and Michelle wanted to win Olympic gold, but neither of them are drooling over Evan's/ Tara's respectively, nor are they wasting time feeling sorry for themselves or worrying about what non-fans think of them.

    The award ceremony for Johnny was just under 3 1/2 minutes. It went off without a hitch. Johnny looked great ... he later tweeted that he was wearing a brooch given to him by his parents, so he felt they were with him. He responded beautifully to questions by the female interviewer (her name wasn't mentioned in the clip). I loved Johnny’s expression of support for and his pride in Ryan's accomplishments. And his response to the final question about what he had to say to fans and young skaters coming up who are inspired by him ... "Always believe in yourself and never be afraid to fall down ... Never feel pressured or marginalized or told what to do or who to be or what to skate to, or what not to wear. I'm so proud of everything I've accomplished [wins and losses]. I want everyone to believe in themselves, love themselves and stand here in ten years and be proud of where they've gotten."

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    461
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    LOL, I love your scenario, essence of soy! It would add some drama and excitement to the as usual, very staid proceedings. Will be lovely to see Johnny, what he's wearing, and whether they will allow him some time to actually say anything.

    Really laughable, but unsurprising, how golden boy Ev gets his own presser all by himself, posted up on ice network -- while the senior mens' post sp presser has been missing in action. Guess it's still all about Ev*, even when he's not in the competition. Well, perhaps the fifth option you left out Frau Muller is: Johnny gets the MK award sandwiched in between the early and later round mens event with as little fanfare as possible, while Ev gets his own presser, and is named USOC Athlete of the Year, and is invited to skate in the Exhibition Gala, even though he was not part of the competition.

    Gosh, I don't think there is anything Ev has skated to that I'm itching to see again. He's actually IMO probably a better dancer than a skater (funnily enough). Oh but, sorry, yes he's our Olympic Champion and truly deserves our respect and our cheers and our love. Ev's okay really (I'm just teasing )... especially since he won it all and relaxed a little and feels like he came out of Johnny Weir's shadow. I'd just rather see Johnny than Evan skate in the Exhibition. Or, better yet, allow this event to belong to the skaters who competed and placed in the top spots.


    *All About Ev -- catchy title for a book
    Evan is a spokesperson for the movie Rise and the press conference was held to promote the movie. What is controversial about an official spokesperson for a movie having a press conference to talk about the movie?

    Furthermore, Evan was not the only non-competitor that performed at the Smucker's Skating Spectacular.

  3. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    RYAN BRADLEY - 2011 US NATIONAL CHAMPION
    Posts
    800
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Yep, I guess we all surely know by now that Evan Lysacek is the Men's Olympic Champion, he'll always be, and Johnny will always not be (and neither will Michelle Kwan, btw). Both Johnny and Michelle wanted to win Olympic gold, but neither of them are drooling over Evan's/ Tara's respectively, nor are they wasting time feeling sorry for themselves or worrying about what non-fans think of them.
    Michelle Kwan -
    2 Olympic Medals (Silver - 1998, Bronze - 2002)
    5 time World Champion (1996, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2003)
    9 time National Champion (1996, 1998 - 2005)

    Johnny Weir -
    3 time National Champion (2004 - 2006)
    2008 Worlds Bronze Medalist
    2x GPF Bronze Medalist
    2001 World Junior Champ

    Admirable, but not the same as Kwan's record.

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hungary
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,291
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Evan is part of the usfigureskating establishment (witness him invited to take part in the men's medal award ceremony and to have his own press conference) -- yes, he's Olympic champion, and that's the icing on the cake. But winning gold didn't happen just because he bested Plushenko -- in part it became possible because Evan was and is backed 110% by his federation. And yes, let me cut you off at the pass.. you all are sooo right ... Johnny never deserved to be backed. He beat himself ... he's such a diva.
    Well, what do you know. Patrick Chan is a fcuking diva too, and a spoiled brat talking crazy things sometimes, but hey, he skates like pure gold and has an admireable work-ethic. He takes criticism, responds to it with perfection of his skating. Something Johnny never did.

    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Yep, I guess we all surely know by now that Evan Lysacek is the Men's Olympic Champion, he'll always be, and Johnny will always not be (and neither will Michelle Kwan, btw). Both Johnny and Michelle wanted to win Olympic gold, but neither of them are drooling over Evan's/ Tara's respectively, nor are they wasting time feeling sorry for themselves or worrying about what non-fans think of them.
    Michelle Kwan is the most accomplished skater of her generation. There is absolutely no comparision about her failing to win an OGM and Johnny (who never realistically had a shot of winning one). Kwan's carrier is round and complete with many gorgeous victories, and she serves as inspiration for the youngsters taking up figure skating - not by rebelling against an establishment that is percieved as eville, but by always taking the high road and being generous about herself, her work and others.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Zombieland
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,149
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8136
    Evan was at the men's medal ceremony?
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    In Canuck Land, hey!
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,819
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2416
    So Johnny, who thinks one should never be afraid to fall down, calls out Chan for falling and winning. Last time I checked it was the judges who give out the marks. As for Chan and falling down, yeah he was having trouble with landing his quad and 3A but as the season has gone on, he's gotten better with the quad. IIRC, Chan landed 3 quads in his last competition.

    Johnny dear, I have enjoyed watching you skate but you seem to have forgotten what it is like to compete. You seem to have your own level of snarkiness. Too bad cause I really did enjoy your early skating. Now it just seems you have become a series of soundbites. Such a pity.
    Crazy about sports!

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    4,924
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32055
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicElle View Post
    Evan was at the men's medal ceremony?
    Yep, he handed out the winner's trophy to Ryan Bradley. (And Sarah Hughes filled the same role at the ladies' medal ceremony.)
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Zombieland
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,149
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8136
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Yep, he handed out the winner's trophy to Ryan Bradley. (And Sarah Hughes filled the same role at the ladies' medal ceremony.)
    Very cool. Thanks!
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

  9. #49
    podcast mistress
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    Posts
    7,823
    vCash
    2367
    Rep Power
    4368
    FYI according to a tweet from Christine Brennan during the Mens LP, Johnny told her he's planning on competing next year. Since he's 7 months younger than Ryan, he thinks he has a shot.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    FYI according to a tweet from Christine Brennan during the Mens LP, Johnny told her he's planning on competing next year. Since he's 7 months younger than Ryan, he thinks he has a shot.
    So it's all about age now?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

  11. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hungary
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,291
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Funny how he thinks he is at a fine age now, when he had been complaining for at least 2 years now how old he is in the world of figure skating and how many youngsters have shown up on the scene.

  12. #52

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,190
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    32587
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    So Johnny, who thinks one should never be afraid to fall down, calls out Chan for falling and winning. Last time I checked it was the judges who give out the marks. As for Chan and falling down, yeah he was having trouble with landing his quad and 3A but as the season has gone on, he's gotten better with the quad. IIRC, Chan landed 3 quads in his last competition.
    No, no, no. You obviously don't get it. When someone else (anyone else at all) skates the responsibility is theirs and theirs alone, they are responsbile for the way they skate, the falls, the mistakes, the judges marks, the weather on any given day. Okay? So far so good. When Johnny skates, he is simply a perfect free spirit doing everything he wants to do, his own way. This is called creating art, he is a wondrous artist in everything he does, from placing a single solitary toe pick on the ice, to going to the bathroom - it is all wonderful and artistytyty. When an artist creates all these wonderful moments, everyone else is to blame for anything that does not blow hot air to fan the flames of this truly unique and artisitc soul, he can ignore the rules and anything to do with gaining points as he is a higher being. In these circumstances it is always someone else's fault when he doesn't win.

    Did that clear up any confusion you had?

    Ant

  13. #53

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Top of Utah!!
    Age
    55
    Posts
    7,538
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17978
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Furthermore, Evan was not the only non-competitor that performed at the Smucker's Skating Spectacular.
    As you referring to the Special Olympics Ladies Champion? I wish they would have had Evan skate at the beginning of the show, and not be the grand finale. He didn't compete at this Nationals, and I felt that it took attention away from the real winners that week.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

  14. #54
    podcast mistress
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    Posts
    7,823
    vCash
    2367
    Rep Power
    4368
    Quote Originally Posted by igniculus View Post
    Funny how he thinks he is at a fine age now, when he had been complaining for at least 2 years now how old he is in the world of figure skating and how many youngsters have shown up on the scene.
    Yup, and now that he's seen Ryan win, perhaps he changed his tune.

    Never mind that S/Z didn't peak until their 30s, and certainly Inoue/Baldwin fall into that camp as well.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

  15. #55

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    In Canuck Land, hey!
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,819
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2416
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    No, no, no. You obviously don't get it. When someone else (anyone else at all) skates the responsibility is theirs and theirs alone, they are responsbile for the way they skate, the falls, the mistakes, the judges marks, the weather on any given day. Okay? So far so good. When Johnny skates, he is simply a perfect free spirit doing everything he wants to do, his own way. This is called creating art, he is a wondrous artist in everything he does, from placing a single solitary toe pick on the ice, to going to the bathroom - it is all wonderful and artistytyty. When an artist creates all these wonderful moments, everyone else is to blame for anything that does not blow hot air to fan the flames of this truly unique and artisitc soul, he can ignore the rules and anything to do with gaining points as he is a higher being. In these circumstances it is always someone else's fault when he doesn't win.

    Did that clear up any confusion you had?

    Ant
    Totally! Johnny wants one set of rules applied to everyone else and NONE to him
    Crazy about sports!

  16. #56

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    4,924
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32055
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    As you referring to the Special Olympics Ladies Champion? I wish they would have had Evan skate at the beginning of the show, and not be the grand finale. He didn't compete at this Nationals, and I felt that it took attention away from the real winners that week.
    I agree with this. It was like they were saying, "yeah yeah, congratulations on winning Nationals gold but Evan still trumps y'all!"

    (Having said that, I did enjoy his performance.)
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

  17. #57

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    461
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    As you referring to the Special Olympics Ladies Champion? I wish they would have had Evan skate at the beginning of the show, and not be the grand finale. He didn't compete at this Nationals, and I felt that it took attention away from the real winners that week.
    I was referring to the Special Olympic Champion and the synchronized skating team that also performed at the Skating Spectacular. By the way, Evan WAS NOT the grand finale. The 'grand finale' was AFTER Evan skated and included all of the competitors that performed in the Skating Specatcular.

  18. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    813
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'd like to see a Bradley-Weir showdown, when Weir can land a quad-triple. Both have artistry, of 2 different sorts but equally compelling (depending on one's taste). Compare Bradley's points to Weir's....hmmm....age has little to do with who would win.

  19. #59
    SHERLOCKED
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    452
    vCash
    767
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    I was referring to the Special Olympic Champion and the synchronized skating team that also performed at the Skating Spectacular. By the way, Evan WAS NOT the grand finale. The 'grand finale' was AFTER Evan skated and included all of the competitors that performed in the Skating Specatcular.
    Ah, but did he have the last solo spot? That's like the "Boitano spot". (Also see Sarah Meier at this year's Europeans.) It should be saved for someone competing in the current competition, though I wouldn't mind Evan skating earlier, maybe at the end of the first half.

  20. #60

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Deep in a Dream
    Posts
    7,562
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17961
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamSkates View Post
    I'd like to see a Bradley-Weir showdown, when Weir can land a quad-triple.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •