Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Oh boo, it actually has quite a few things I don't like: goat cheese, glazed carrots and onions in buttermilk (how on earth are they crisp in buttermilk? ) Good thing I wasn't invited
    I assumed that the onions were fried and had a buttermilk batter coating (like onion rings). Of course, I could be wrong. I loved everything on the menu .... except the creamed spinach.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I assumed that the onions were fried and had a buttermilk batter coating (like onion rings). Of course, I could be wrong.
    Oh. In that case, --can't stand onion rings. But they did ask for an all-American dinner, so that's what they got. I do love creamed spinach though, with steak and a nice glass of wine .
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Oh. In that case, --can't stand onion rings. But they did ask for an all-American dinner, so that's what they got. I do love creamed spinach though, with steak and a nice glass of wine .
    I may reconsider the creamed spinach ... evidently it doesn't have cream -- the recipe sounds like it might be good. (I love spinach in salads, just not in a gloppy cream sauce -- which I don't like on anything.)

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I may reconsider the creamed spinach ... evidently it doesn't have cream -- the recipe sounds like it might be good. (I love spinach in salads, just not in a gloppy cream sauce -- which I don't like on anything.)
    Yeah, you can have it. I like cream in my creamed spinach.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Michelle looks gorgeous. One of the best dresses she's worn lately!

Also, I love that even though MK hasn't competed in over four years, she still looks like she could kick someone's butt!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    .....she wanted to make President Hu Jintao feel comfortable about his own less than formal attire. That Michelle -- always so diplomatic.
    WOW - What an insult! The guy cried about being given "only" a lunch by G.W. Bush on his last visit...so he retorts by dressing for lunch at a formal dinner. (And did not bother to bring along his wife or a female family member, as is often the case when a wife is indisposed.)

This entire State Visit was full of no-nos that were either honest faux pas or outright insults, such as the House Speaker declining the invite.

So there were two morons who wore short dresses - Michelle and Anna Wintour. Shame on them...unless they were purposely sending a message of displeasure at China's human rts violations.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 01-20-2011 at 07:18 PM.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    But they did ask for an all-American dinner, so that's what they got.
    That would be meatloaf, tato tots, iceberg lettuce, and twinkies for dessert.

vCash
    The recipe should have been called what it is - Pureed Spinach or Spinach Puree.

Don't understand why the dish is called Creamed Spinach. No way would this spinach dish taste anything like Creamed Spinach, now I'm wondering why it is called Creamed Spinach.
    Doesn't seem honest to me.

No, I'm not blaming Michelle or Obama - hmmm, maybe the other Michelle (not the figure skater).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JAF View Post
    The recipe should have been called what it is - Pureed Spinach or Spinach Puree.

Don't understand why the dish is called Creamed Spinach. No way would this spinach dish taste anything like Creamed Spinach, now I'm wondering why it is called Creamed Spinach. Doesn't seem honest to me.

No, I'm not blaming Michelle or Obama - hmmm, maybe the other Michelle (not the figure skater).
    Take it up with the chef, Cris Comerford. I assume that's where the "creamed spinach" name originated ("Executive Chef Cris Comerford's No Cream Creamed Spinach"). Or you could blame the "dishonesty" on Michelle Obama and her desire for "healthier foods".
    When introducing Chef Comerford's spinach recipe, Mrs. Obama applauded Comerford's genius at creating healthy meals, and thanked her for coming up with a solution for making creamed spinach far healthier. The recipe is fairly easy, it really does taste similar to traditional creamed spinach, and it requires a kitchen tool that's as modern as Mrs. Obama's approach to being First Lady--an electric blender.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    That would be meatloaf, tato tots, iceberg lettuce, and twinkies for dessert.
    Not in my neck of the American woods! Actually, since I'm in a college town, that would be pizza and beer.

vCash
    Take it up with the chef, Cris Comerford. I assume that's where the "creamed spinach" name originated ("Executive Chef Cris Comerford's No Cream Creamed Spinach"). Or you could blame the "dishonesty" on Michelle Obama and her desire for "healthier foods".
    Why couldn't Spinach Puree stand alone?
    I'll ask you since I can't ask the chef or Michelle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JAF View Post
    Why couldn't Spinach Puree stand alone?
    I'll ask you since I can't ask the chef or Michelle.
    I don't know -- maybe the chef thought it sounded too highfalutin and "no cream creamed spinach" sounded more down home? Write a letter to the chef or the FLOTUS and ask if you want a real answer.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    That entire dinner menu looks absolutely fabulous.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Yes, Anna Wintour did. I think that Michelle was being very diplomatic in wearing a semi-formal outfit -- she wanted to make President Hu Jintao feel comfortable about his own less than formal attire. That Michelle -- always so diplomatic.
    Well I personally think it was very rockin roll for Presiden Hu to don a Blue tie in a Black Tie event. Looks like most people didn't get the same memo.

Anyways, it is good the US is dressing up for China for once, they do need their money after all.

Re: Frau Muller

Human rights violations? Don't you mean McDonalds, probably the biggest world's contributors to minimum slave wages for profit? At least most of China provide shelter for their low paid workers while feed the rest of the world. Can't say for the same for the many homeless people in some of the richest city in the world, many in the US of A.
    Last edited by os168; 01-20-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    The Kween looks amazing and confident!

Very sweet of B. D. Wong to bring his mother, who I am sure must have been thrilled to attend.
    I think it was sweet to bring his mother. He may have been more concerned with her having a once-in-a-lifetime experiencce than making a political statement.

And I love Mrs. Iger's dress (Disney CEO's wife.) At least the shoulder detail, which is all the WSJ shows.

I'd rather have the menu for the luncheon, I think, but then again I wonder if you can notify the White House on your RSVP when you have allergies (I'm allergic to crustacean shellfish, so the dinner has a big no-no.)

Jackie Chan wore no tie that I can see. But then again I'm not going to tell Jackie Chan he's dressed wrong. He could still kick my ass.

vCash
    News reported:

Mr Hu was then welcomed with a pomp-filled arrival ceremony on the South Lawn, including a 21-gun salute. But the ceremonies were spoiled by a woman protesting against China's treatment of the banned Falun Gong religious movement and a White House announcer who fluffed China's formal name by calling it the "Republic of China" –
    the name for Taiwan – instead of the "People's Republic of China."

----------------

Nice faux pas, may be Mr Hu will turn up in jeans and t shirt with his blue tie next time.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    It is a bit odd that Hu Jintao is not wearing a tux. And now that I think about it, perhaps MK should have worn a full length gown? But as it was, MK matched President Hu's stepped down attire. And the only gown I did like was Michelle Obama's.

Speaking of Michelle Obama: while I consider her efforts to promote healthy eating habits in children laudable and timely, I think she should leave creamed spinach alone.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    News reported:

Mr Hu was then welcomed with a pomp-filled arrival ceremony on the South Lawn, including a 21-gun salute. But the ceremonies were spoiled by a woman protesting against China's treatment of the banned Falun Gong religious movement and a White House announcer who fluffed China's formal name by calling it the "Republic of China" –
    the name for Taiwan – instead of the "People's Republic of China."

----------------

Nice faux pas, may be Mr Hu will turn up in jeans and t shirt with his blue tie next time.
    I think that's what happened the last time Hu Jintao visited the White House back in 2006.

The double stuffed potatoes with creamed spinach and poached Maine lobster sound delish!
    Last edited by a56; 01-21-2011 at 02:36 AM.

vCash
    Michelle looks like a million bucks!!! WOW

vCash
    It is a bit odd that Hu Jintao is not wearing a tux.
    To many Chinese, especially the older generation, a full suit is as formal as it can be. I don't think Jackie Chan wore a tux either.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast