Thread: Gift etiquette

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash

Gift etiquette

Maybe it's early paranoia kicking in or a grave distrust of Australia Post, but if you send someone a birthday present, should one hope for an email (or acknowledgement) just to be sure it has arrived? (I'm talking of a time frame of two to three weeks after posting the package, by the way.)

Or, in this day and age, are my expectations for a response too high? Phoning them up and asking just seems a tad, well, pushy.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post

Or, in this day and age, are my expectations for a response too high? Phoning them up and asking just seems a tad, well, pushy.
    I would want to know that it got there. Once I sent jamesy a cake and I waited and waited for a reply. Finally I asked and he didnt know it had been delivered because his mailman put it inside the grill.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    You should have gotten a thank-you by now. If you haven't heard anything within three weeks, you are well within your rights to ask if the gift arrived. The answer to that inquiry had better contain the words "Thank you."

One time, I gave a distant cousin and his bride a wedding present (I was a guest.) and heard nothing for months. I wound up asking his mother if the gift had arrived, and the bride's handwritten thank-you note arrived soon after that.

vCash
    I don't expect a handwritten note, but a thank you via email is sufficient for me. Maybe I am just to lax about things

vCash
    After 2 weeks without an email or call, I'd ask. I know some people don't like to potentially embarrass the giftee, but my curiosity would force me to find out.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I would expect an acknowledgement of some sort. I recently sent two baby gifts. For one I received a very nice hand written note and a message on Facebook when the gift was received. For the other gift, we got no acknowledgment of receipt and then just a quick thank you on Facebook later.

In the latter case, I really didn't want to email and ask if they received the gift, but I began to worry. I would give them another week and then maybe ask about it.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    I sent a secondary skate coach a wedding shower gift. It was credited to my account but I had never received a thank you note/acknowledge from the recipinet. When I asked via email the store that I had purchased it from (macy's) whether it was actually sent, a few weeks later I got someting from the recipient. I think she needed a litle "kick in the pants" to acknowledg her gift

vCash
    Having worked for Australia Post in the past, I would send them an email to ask if they got it. Seriously I have had plenty of trouble with items and usually found out they haven't got them when they send me an email asking if I sent them. Sorry but don't trust them.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Maybe it's early paranoia kicking in or a grave distrust of Australia Post, but if you send someone a birthday present, should one hope for an email (or acknowledgement) just to be sure it has arrived? (I'm talking of a time frame of two to three weeks after posting the package, by the way.)

Have you sent a birthday present to this particular individual before? Did you get a timely acknowledgment? If you typically get one, then I would ask to see if the package arrived. But if you don't, then, well, ask anyway, I suppose. Either way, I wouldn't send an e-mail, unless you know that this person normally responds to e-mail. I've read that 80% of e-mail goes unanswered--seriously.

Nowadays people are so lax about acknowledging anything or saying "thank you." I guess that's always been true, but it does seem worse than ever. Apparently, manners are for sissies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupid View Post
    I sent a secondary skate coach a wedding shower gift. It was credited to my account but I had never received a thank you note/acknowledge from the recipinet. When I asked via email the store that I had purchased it from (macy's) whether it was actually sent, a few weeks later I got someting from the recipient. I think she needed a litle "kick in the pants" to acknowledg her gift
    With wedding/shower gifts, I think the sheer volume of gifts buys them some extra time, maybe a few months instead of a few weeks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    With wedding/shower gifts, I think the sheer volume of gifts buys them some extra time, maybe a few months instead of a few weeks.
    I think Miss Manners says that up to a year is OK. Personally, I'd do them as they arrived - even if you don't send them right away. The idea of facing a pile of thank you notes to write is just

I've taken to sending an email to whoever is getting the gift to say be on the lookout, and let me know if/when it gets there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    I've taken to sending an email to whoever is getting the gift to say be on the lookout, and let me know if/when it gets there.
    That is a great idea!

For my higher end Ebay auctions, I use Delivery Confirmation. But that is only for domestic mail. First Class International has no way of tracking without going the super expensive route.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    I've had a rough time getting acknowledged for baby gifts- the thank you notes come 2-6 months later, and that makes sense as the Mom is busy, but I too want to know if it GOT there, not really just be thanked for it.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Thank you all for your help. Some great suggestions there.