vCash

Roller skates on ice?

Someone linked a video in a thread showing a roller skater competing on a very smooth hard surface that "looks" like ice. Like this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWIl9...eature=related

What exactly is this surface? Since they are doing throws, jumps and lifts,
    I ASSUME it cant be ice?

Chris who wants to see worlds come to his town

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I like the lift they do where she is on her back and hops to her stomach, someone could incorporate that onto the ice easily. Sorry, don't know about the surface, I assume it is a regular roller rink surface but made for competition so it is white with the logo in the middle.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    I ASSUME it cant be ice?
    I don't know much about roller skating, but a person once told me there's this rink made of white quartz, that looks just like ice. I assume that's it.

Gosh, when I read this thread title I though: "roller skates on ice. Of course, wanna loose your theet?".

vCash
    Wow, white quartz? What ever it is, it doesnt look like wood for sure....there cant be many arenas that are set up for this....

Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash

White quartz!!??

None of that, it's made of big white "plastic" tiles put togheter like a jigsaw puzzle, with some coating on top to make it smoother. It's quite common on big competitions.
    http://www.quadskating.com/rinks/floor-coatings.htm

The past few years, well, I don't think it would have made too much of a difference if it was real ice: rumor has it that the surfaces were too slippery.

Some of the roller experts around here can give a better explanation, but that's basically it.

vCash
    The Roller Skating Surfaces have a coating on it that is referred to as "Roll On"
    Very shiney, It's not slippery and actually can be sticky when freshly done. It's amazing what Can be done on Roller Skates.

vCash
    So, I have been fooled, hu?

It could be. Though I'd have sworn she was being serious ("she" was a competitive roller skater).
    I might look into it if I can find time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post
    So, I have been fooled, hu?

It could be. Though I'd have sworn she was being serious ("she" was a competitive roller skater).
    I might look into it if I can find time.
    She was pulling your leg. Concrete, wood and plastic (painted on), are about the only surfaces I've ever heard of. I coach roller and have been to rinks all over the world and never heard of quartz. How expensive would that be anyway?
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    She was pulling your leg. Concrete, wood and plastic (painted on), are about the only surfaces I've ever heard of. I coach roller and have been to rinks all over the world and never heard of quartz. How expensive would that be anyway?
    I think very. Though daily power to keep ice rinks running isn't exactly pocket money either.

I remember this girl said to me this rink was one of a kind. I think she was speaking nationally, and I'm not sure where the rest of the world stands in comparison.

The girl mentioned the city where this rink was. Unfortunately, I can't remember (didn't care a whole lot). She described it to me, saying it was beautiful, bright, looked just like ice, so that I remember.

Anyway, I made a quick search, and apparently quite a few rinks are paved in white quartzed cement. Which isn't white quartz, but there're definitely a coincidence there.

Now I'm curious enough. Does anybody have any more informations?

vCash
    I tried roller skating on terrazzo as a kid. Not. A. Good. Experience. I wouldn't think quartz would be any better, particularly if it were polished.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    How on earth do pairs roller skaters (or any roller skaters for that matter) learn to do throw jumps (or solo jumps for the singles) on the floor? Surely the lack of skid makes jumps that much more painful and the little bit of skid you would get would leave all your skin on the floor Kevlar training outfits anyone?

Ant

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Someone linked a video in a thread showing a roller skater competing on a very smooth hard surface that "looks" like ice. Like this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWIl9...eature=related

I ASSUME it cant be ice?

Chris who wants to see worlds come to his town
    The skating surface is an epoxy coating over a sub-floor of wood or concrete.
    Morry Stillwell