View Poll Results: Which dominant lady champion had most competition during time on top

Voters
290. You may not vote on this poll
  • Witt 1984-1988

5 1.72%
  • Fleming 1966-1968

0 0%
  • Hamill 1974-1976

1 0.34%
  • Fratianne 1977-1979

0 0%
  • Kwan 1996-2003

133 45.86%
  • Slutskaya 2000-2005

18 6.21%
  • Kim 2007-to date

103 35.52%
  • Asada 2007-2010

16 5.52%
  • Yamaguchi 1991-1992 (or 1991-1997 extended to pros)

5 1.72%
  • Ito 1989-1992

4 1.38%
  • Lipinski 1997-1998

2 0.69%
  • other

3 1.03%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    What is very good about Carolina's spiral is the deep edge and the speed. In that way, she has one of the best spiral in the World, actually.

vCash
    It just shows how much Kim, Rochette, and to a degree Asada's sabaticals this season have changed peoples perspective. Also add Lepisto being out and Nagasu coming off an injury. All of a sudden we have talk off Ando possibly winning Worlds again which would have been unthinkable at the end of last season, and now even Kostner not trying triple lutzes or triple flips talked about as possibly winning Worlds. We have Czisny winning the GP final, and Korpi of all people talked about as a possible medalist/winner of Worlds. Just crazy in a way.

We will see come Worlds if Kim shows up in shape and sweeps away all these other possabilities (which anywhere near her best she definitely will based on any of the caliber we have seen so far this season), and even to a degree a 100% Mao also.

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    Carolina scored over 124 points at this year's nationals. And I disagree with your statement regarding Carolina and Caroline. I think there is no comparison between their situations. Carolina can very well win Worlds this year.
    Oh wow, aside from the jump content that was really beautiful, went by in a flash. That footwork sequence

vCash
    Trixi Schuba, by far. She triumphed over Janet Lynn, Karen Magnusen, Julie Lynn Holmes and Sonja Morgenstern. This despite the fact that those women were excellent in figures too. They probably would have won every compulsory figure competition up until 1990 (the demise of figures).

vCash
    I picked Yuna, and I'm not a huge fan, but she won at Olympics against someone who did THREE triple axels and is a great skater. That's some tough competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    What is very good about Carolina's spiral is the deep edge and the speed. In that way, she has one of the best spiral in the World, actually.
    She really does. Her edges are marvelous, and her position is more than adequate. At least her feet are not as distracting as Kim's (it physically hurts me to say this).

But her spins? They are only marginally better than Suzuki's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Ando bombed the short at last years Worlds with 2 falls which is the only reason she lost to Lepisto at last years Worlds (which people who cried about the result continually forget). The only one who did 2 clean or almost clean performances with all triples was Phaneuf who lost the medal (barely) since she is a no name on the World level.

I could see Kostner getting a bronze at Worlds this year maybe. However others are talking about her winning with her current jump content and there is no way that is happening unless we have the worst skated event ever.

If they need a European lady up there who is to say it will be Kostner. If Korpi skates well and wins Europeans I would say she is the one who will get the most backing at Worlds. She is skating more consistently this year, the judges like her skating as well, and she is atleast doing/trying all the triples.
    Miki fell once in the SP, not twice. Laura's SP was bad too, she was just really overscored in that portion of the competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    Trixi Schuba, by far. She triumphed over Janet Lynn, Karen Magnusen, Julie Lynn Holmes and Sonja Morgenstern. This despite the fact that those women were excellent in figures too. They probably would have won every compulsory figure competition up until 1990 (the demise of figures).
    Makes you wonder how the results of the competitions in that period might have been without Trixie Schuba entered, considering that everyone below her were actually flipping back and forth in the standings throughout 1970-1972

vCash

yep

Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Kwan because of how long she was competing at the top level.
    Couldn't have said it better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Mao skated quite well at Japanese Nationals and barely edged out Kanako while Miki beat both handily. To me, that says a lot. Mao is not the skater she used to be...
    Mao is still not back to her usual form yet. She didn't have her usual technical content. She didn't even do a three combo jump. Besides that, Miki backloaded her program with jumps that give her more of a bonus and the judges got a little GOE happy with her elements.

vCash

I am not particularly a Kwan fan but....

You guys are nuts!

My vote is for Lipinski.

Exhibit A
    Exhibit B

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Mao is still not back to her usual form yet. She didn't have her usual technical content. She didn't even do a three combo jump. Besides that, Miki backloaded her program with jumps that give her more of a bonus and the judges got a little GOE happy with her elements.
    Miki's jumps are gorgeous. Say what you want about the rest of her skating, but her jumps deserve the GOE they get and in comparison Mao's jumps look tiny.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    You guys are nuts!

My vote is for Lipinski.

Exhibit A
    Exhibit B
    Also add to that in events Tara won:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSWtcD6fKlc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj9q7UOqwQ8

I would say Tara is actually a better choice than Kwan in this particular poll for me personally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Miki's jumps are gorgeous. Say what you want about the rest of her skating, but her jumps deserve the GOE they get and in comparison Mao's jumps look tiny.
    Her spins and spirals should get 0s in GOE though. Other than the occasional spin she does better than usual.

vCash
    Her spins and spirals should get 0s in GOE though. Other than the occasional spin she does better than usual.
    ITA. Besides that, Miki's GOEs at nationals were getting close to those received by Yuna and her jumps are nowhere near the quality of the latters. Case in point, she wasn't getting those type of GOE's during the grand prix and her jump quality did not change.
    Last edited by miki88; 01-21-2011 at 10:12 AM.

vCash
    Slute for reasons already cited.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash

A lot is due to longevity on or near the top

1. Kwan [8] -

Bobek, Lu, Lipinski, Butyrskaya, Slutskaya, Hughes, Cohen, and to a small, brief extent Arakawa

2. Witt [4]-

Zayak until '82, Sumners, Thomas, and for a brief flash of time - Chin; Didn't Ivanova come close at least on the Euro level once or twice?? I don't add Kadavy because while she was very alented, she never came close to Witt at the top comps

3. Baiul - just because while she was briefly on top, she should have been passed by about 3 or 4 ladies

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Not sure if you're kidding but not by a long shot.

She does the same catch-foot variation that we've seen on countless others before.
    Actually, you are wrong. This season, Carolina is only doing beautiful, unassisted spiral positions. Watch her programs on youtube.

I particularly love her back spiral in the LP, which was exinct for the past few years from the top skaters. Carolina has great spiral positions and beautiful speed, edging and flow, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    1. Kwan [8] -

Bobek, Lu, Lipinski, Butyrskaya, Slutskaya, Hughes, Cohen, and to a small, brief extent Arakawa

2. Witt [4]-

Zayak until '82, Sumners, Thomas, and for a brief flash of time - Chin; Didn't Ivanova come close at least on the Euro level once or twice?? I don't add Kadavy because while she was very alented, she never came close to Witt at the top comps

3. Baiul - just because while she was briefly on top, she should have been passed by about 3 or 4 ladies
    Ivanova was close to beating Witt at Europeans in 85, 86, and 87 IIRC. In 85 Witt won figures, but Witt botched the short program. Ivanova still had to win the LP to win and Witt had a couple mistakes in her long too, if Kira had done the long program she did at Worlds she would have beaten Witt here but she too made mistakes and lost it on the 2nd mark. In 86 I think Witt botched the short program again but Ivanova could not skate well enough in the long to stay ahead, I dont know if she even had to win the long or not. I dont remember the details of 87 but I think Witt was further down than usual in figures, but Ivanova blew the long program again here.

Ivanova was also pretty close to beating Witt for the 85 World title. That was the competition of Ivanova's life, including a clean free skate with 3 triples and a triple loop, but Witt rose to the occasion skating after her and beat her with Ivanova getting 2 or 3 1st place votes. Ivanova was 1st in figures, 3rd in the short, 2nd in the long. Witt 3rd in figures, 1st in the short, 1st in the long.

vCash
    Ivanova was close to beating Witt at Europeans in 85, 86, and 87 IIRC. In 85 Witt won figures, but Witt botched the short program. Ivanova still had to win the LP to win and Witt had a couple mistakes in her long too, if Kira had done the long program she did at Worlds she would have beaten Witt here but she too made mistakes and lost it on the 2nd mark. In 86 I think Witt botched the short program again but Ivanova could not skate well enough in the long to stay ahead, I dont know if she even had to win the long or not. I dont remember the details of 87 but I think Witt was further down than usual in figures, but Ivanova blew the long program again here.

Ivanova was also pretty close to beating Witt for the 85 World title. That was the competition of Ivanova's life, including a clean free skate with 3 triples and a triple loop, but Witt rose to the occasion skating after her and beat her with Ivanova getting 2 or 3 1st place votes. Ivanova was 1st in figures, 3rd in the short, 2nd in the long. Witt 3rd in figures, 1st in the short, 1st in the long.
    OK. Thanks, It sounds like Ivanova could've been a more worthy competitor to Witt than Chin. I think it was probably media hype with Chin

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast