Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Orable View Post
    We can't really measure beauty...
    Yes, but can we measure ugly? I say yes, it can be measured with a stick. Then we could hit said ugly people with that stick bannishing them from our very own pretty place. Now who's the smart one?
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    The fuglies work harder, which augments their results. Often, an average person can get the same results as a genius on the same task if given more time or even the same time if the process can't be rushed.

Furthermore, some bright people with good looks might have stifled development because people are so willing to give then top billing for doing little. For example, models get paid millions to wear clothes ... not much motivation to get an astrophysics degree if modelling is working for you, even if you have the aptitude.

Also, some fuglies are not really fugly. They just don't care to maintain their appearance.
    Coincidentally, I know one guy in college who was asked outright if he modeled or was thinking about it. We're talking tall, blonde, blue-eyed, great bone structure, extremely photogenic. He replied no, because he "had a real job." He transferred to Caltech for physics, went to Stanford for his masters and is now working in nanotechnology. So some people would rather go for the physics than take the "easy" way out.

Modeling is also a pretty hard living if you aren't one of the top models, and you'd probably make more money more easily doing physics if you were extremely gifted like he was.

Also, I'm not sure how a more attractive person could have an easier time doing something like physics. Tests are tests, it isn't like you could get away with being bad at it even if you were extremely good-looking.

vCash
    See? I don't think NP is attractive at all, and actually looks kind of ugly sometimes. Now, in her case, she has a basically nice facial structure, but she's way too skinny for my tastes and I find her kind of bland looking. She's not ugly by any stretch of the imagination, but she's not "stunning" in my perspective.

Who do you consider to be stunning?

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Coincidentally, I know one guy in college who was asked outright if he modeled or was thinking about it. We're talking tall, blonde, blue-eyed, great bone structure, extremely photogenic. He replied no, because he "had a real job." He transferred to Caltech for physics, went to Stanford for his masters and is now working in nanotechnology. So some people would rather go for the physics than take the "easy" way out.
    . . . and nanotechnology probably pays "real money" in comparison to some little multi-million dollar modeling contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Also, I'm not sure how a more attractive person could have an easier time doing something like physics. Tests are tests, it isn't like you could get away with being bad at it even if you were extremely good-looking.
    Processes that can't be rushed . . . If two people write at the same speed, but one can process mental information faster, they still take the same time on the test and might potentially get the same results on the test.

vCash
    . . . and nanotechnology probably pays "real money" in comparison to some little multi-million dollar modeling contract.
    But again, you only get the multi-million dollar contracts if you're a Victoria's Secret Angel. That's only what? 10-15 women in the world? Out of the hundreds of thousands of models out there? Most of the runway models just starting out get paid nothing. They get paid in free bags, and you can't pay rent in bags.

Considering how that life is, my friend probably chose his career correctly.

Processes that can't be rushed . . . If two people write at the same speed, but one can process mental information faster, they still take the same time on the test and might potentially get the same results on the test.
    Yes, but what does that have to do with attractive people having an advantage? You've lost me here.

Oh I see, you're saying that geniuses just take less time to do stuff than average people. Mmm, depends on whatever it is they're doing.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    We can't really measure beauty...
    There was a study that showed newborn babies track and stare longer at faces that were rated as more attractive.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    nevermind, that sounded better in my head

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    There was a study that showed newborn babies track and stare longer at faces that were rated as more attractive.
    Yes, I've heard that. I've also read that "attractive" is extremely relative.

A case in point:

Before an experiment begins, a great deal of preparatory work must be done. In...[a certain] experiment, the investigator began by assembling a set of photographs of men and women varying in appearance. Where do such photographs come from? In many studies, researchers have selected photos of good-looking, average, and ugly men and women from college or high school yearbooks. In other studies, researchers have searched for appropriate models and taken photographs of them. For example, when Elaine Hatfield began beauty research back in the 1960s, she would stop people on the street she thought were good-looking (or homely) and ask if they would allow her to take their picture for use in her research.
    She quickly learned an unexpected lesson. Occasionally, when she stopped someone she thought was unusually handsome or beautiful and lured him or her back to the laboratory, she found that not everyone agreed with her evaluation. The first time this happened she was stunned. She hauled in a man she thought was breathtakingly handsome, and her colleague, Dr. Ellen Berscheid, bluntly asked which group he was intended for—good-looking, average, or ugly. Dr. Hatfield was dumbfounded! Surely Dr. Berscheid was kidding. She wasn't. Eventually they discovered they had opposite, but predictable, biases. Dr. Hatfield tended to think that dark, muscular, athletic men and women were good-looking; Dr. Berscheid liked tall, thin, ethereal blonds.

From http://www2.hu-berlin.de/sexology/BIB/HATF2.htm

vCash
    The fuglies work harder, which augments their results. Often, an average person can get the same results as a genius on the same task if given more time or even the same time if the process can't be rushed.
    On some tasks (certain tests, for example), this is very true, but people of average intelligence are highly unlikely to produce the work of true genius regardless of how long they are given.
    Last edited by DuckLikesSkate; 01-20-2011 at 08:50 AM.

vCash
    Male models don't make comparable money to their female counterparts. He'll have to work the runways, if his height and body are appropriate, and work in low paying editors until he can book the major campaigns. That's if he's lucky to break in the industry since there are as many attractive guys also looking for their lucky break. His modelesque features would be more of an advantage in a field where attractive people aren't so common since he'll stand out.

This guy is evidence for the conclusion of this study? No. He's supposedly hot and a genius. I wonder if he likes Asian men...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by indicatoto101 View Post
    Male models don't make comparable money to their female counterparts. He'll have to work the runways, if his height and body are appropriate, and work in low paying editors until he can book the major campaigns. That's if he's lucky to break in the industry since there are as many attractive guys also looking for their lucky break. His modelesque features would be more of an advantage in a field where attractive people aren't so common since he'll stand out.

This guy is evidence for the conclusion of this study? No. He's supposedly hot and a genius. I wonder if he likes Asian men...
    That and if he were inclined to sit around for long periods of time having people fuss over his appearance, which he definitely isn't.

Given his field, he often hangs out with Asians (and judging by his recent Facebook statuses, picking up various Asian languages along the way) but I'm not sure as to his erm, preferences in that area. Which yeah, I admit is a little odd. In college we suspected he was asexual. But he could also be just incredibly awkward romantically, which wouldn't be surprising given how many academic geniuses are awkward in that way.
    Last edited by Anita18; 01-20-2011 at 12:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I think I remember that study; didn't hte babies stare more at faces that are symmetrical with proportional features, like Denzel Washington's? It just so happens that symmetry and proportionality are considered attractive by our culture, but there are certainly people who don't fit that mold, but are still considered attractive/charismatic.

Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post

Who do you consider to be stunning?
    For brunettes w/similar coloring to NP, I'd suggest Monica Bellucci or Isabelle Adjani. They're what I consider to be stunning.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123