Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    And then there are those who don't care if they seem professorly, those are my favorite professors!
    There's a lot of truth to that. Reminds me of a professor--well, technically he was an "instructor"--that I had one time. He was pretty scary-looking, with hair past his shoulders. Anyway, the first week of class, he walked into the room, and then immediately asked, "Is this my class?" Someone responded, "Yes." To which he replied, "Whew, that's good, because people are always telling me I have no class."

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I've heard of the halo effect too but this is a fun little study.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Well as someone who's worked with lots and lots of models I'd tend to disagree
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    I'm doomed to be doggy and dumb! (I can live with that)
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    It says beautiful people have higher IQs, not that they are all geniuses. Quite frankly, I'm not impressed with anybody with a 111-114 IQ. An average IQ is 100, and most people could not tell if somebody is any smarter than average until they have an IQ of 120.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 01-18-2011 at 06:09 AM.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    It says beautiful people have higher IQs, not that they are all geniuses. Quite frankly, I'm not impressed with anybody with a 111-114 IQ. An average IQ is 100, and most people could not tell if somebody is any smarter than average until they have an IQ of 120.
    I don't think "IQ" is a particularly meaningful measure of intelligence. It's obvious that there are many different kinds of intelligence, and until the past century, there was never such a simplistic tool as "IQ" to quantify this characteristic. Qualities such as creativity can never truly be quantified. How well would geniuses such as Frédéric Chopin or Thomas Edison have scored on an IQ test?

A few years ago, I read an article that mentioned that modern society is obsessed with quantifiable measures of success. It went on to say that if we cannot quantify what we truly care about, then we start caring about what we can quantify. I have to agree.
    Last edited by neptune; 01-18-2011 at 09:33 AM.

vCash
    I have an IQ somewhere in the "above average" range but don't particularly consider myself to be intelligent. I agree that people don't come off as smarty pants until scoring in the "superior" range.

What I'm curious about is how they measured attractiveness and how many people were involved in the study. If they had participants rate each other, then that sounds like a tedious task.

My theory is that attractive people tend to be well off financially (A), adding to their hotness and giving them a cushion to buy plastic. Financially stable people are more likely to seek an education (B). Educated people score better on IQ tests (C). So based on (my flawed) transitive logic, attractiveness (A) is correlated with IQ (C).

vCash
    I do think there is a circular effect at work.

-Pretty kids get more attention and opportunities, thereby increasing their dendrite connections.

-People who are fit and athletic have the physical and mental advantages that go along with that good health. (Fit people are going to be perceived as more attractive.)

-Conversely, people who are not on top of things mentally may not be taking advantage of any natural beauty they possess. (We might not recognize someone who is naturally attractive if they aren’t accentuating it.)
    Last edited by snoopy; 01-18-2011 at 08:32 PM.
    What would Jenny do?

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by indicatoto101 View Post
    . . . Educated people score better on IQ tests . . .
    This is an important point. IQ test scores can be augmented by education, particularly the non-timed portions.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    Well as someone who's worked with lots and lots of models I'd tend to disagree
    Models are not supposed to talk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I do think there is a circular effect at work.

-Pretty kids get more attention and opportunities, thereby increasing their dendrite connections.

-People who are fit and athletic have the physical and mental advantages that go along with that good health. (Fit people are going to be perceived as more attractive.)

-Conversely, people who as on top of things mentally may not be taking advantage of any natural beauty they possess. (We might not recognize someone who is naturally attractive if they aren’t accentuating it.)
    I think all of this is true.

It may be a mistake to focus on the high end of the spectrum, photo of models accompanying the article notwithstanding.

Suppose you look at people with IQ below 100 and/or attractiveness below average. I think you might see a higher correlation on that end that might drive trends across the whole spectrum.

vCash
    I didn't know why people are always jealous of me. Now I know why!

vCash
    I saw a brief bit about this study on HLN this morning. It also showed a correlation between parents' level of education and income and a person's intelligence. I think it is unfortunate that the media jumped on the beauty/brains angle instead of the connection between wealth and IQ which should give us pause about how we judge and approach education.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Ovsiannikov View Post
    Jessica Simpson.

That is all.
    That is just so unfair. I heard that Jessica Simpson is actually going for her Ph.D.--in bimbos' studies. Her dissertation will be exploring "the effects of multicultural immediacy on the bimbo's intrinsic sense of self-regulation."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    It may be a mistake to focus on the high end of the spectrum, photo of models accompanying the article notwithstanding.

Suppose you look at people with IQ below 100 and/or attractiveness below average. I think you might see a higher correlation on that end that might drive trends across the whole spectrum.
    Yes, I can understand the possibility that less deformed kids are smarter, again, Hawking notwithstanding. Some people deformed on the outside are probably deformed on the inside and not for the better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    That is just so unfair. I heard that Jessica Simpson is actually going for her Ph.D.--in bimbos' studies. Her dissertation will be exploring "the effects of multicultural immediacy on the bimbo's intrinsic sense of self-regulation."

I'm surprised that so many people are taking this study seriously. How would that explain the number of students who may be attractive or perhaps even homely who graduate at or near the tops of their classes and end up working in medicine, physics, IT.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    Ok, we already know how to measure intelligence. But, how do you measure beauty? I thought it was subjective.....or in the eyes of the beholder......or some such crap.
    We can't really measure beauty...

Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    ... A true natural beauty, like IMO Natalie Portman who's stunning without makeup and in sweats (and is very intelligent to boot! ) is very very rare.
    See? I don't think NP is attractive at all, and actually looks kind of ugly sometimes. Now, in her case, she has a basically nice facial structure, but she's way too skinny for my tastes and I find her kind of bland looking. She's not ugly by any stretch of the imagination, but she's not "stunning" in my perspective.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Ovsiannikov View Post
    I'm surprised that so many people are taking this study seriously. How would that explain the number of students who may be attractive or perhaps even homely who graduate at or near the tops of their classes and end up working in medicine, physics, IT.....
    The fuglies work harder, which augments their results. Often, an average person can get the same results as a genius on the same task if given more time or even the same time if the process can't be rushed.

Furthermore, some bright people with good looks might have stifled development because people are so willing to give then top billing for doing little. For example, models get paid millions to wear clothes ... not much motivation to get an astrophysics degree if modelling is working for you, even if you have the aptitude.

Also, some fuglies are not really fugly. They just don't care to maintain their appearance.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 01-19-2011 at 05:04 AM.

vCash
    Yes, I can understand the possibility that less deformed kids are smarter, again, Hawking notwithstanding. Some people deformed on the outside are probably deformed on the inside and not for the better.
    This post was meant as a joke, right? My average level of intelligence does not allow me to determine the seriousness of this post. Help! I feel uglier by the second...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast