Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    I absolutely love Winter's Bone. I think part of that has to do with the fact that I grew up in a place very similar to the one depicted in the film. I've found though that people who tend to like bleak films love the movie and those that don't, really don't care for it.

There's no way Jennifer Lawrence an the film won't get Oscar nominations. If anyone is going to beat Natalie Portman, it's going to be Lawrence.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    I had seen it at an artsy theater last year, but I couldn't tell you anything about it. My mind is a sieve, but still ...

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I just saw it last night thanks to Redbox. I liked it a lot, even though it was very slow.

What I found most interesting was the focus on the different textures and general goings-on. It certainly isn't very plot-heavy, and only a few of the characters get more than a first look. But the feel of the movie was very distinctive and I found that an interesting choice to make. Probably an obvious one though, considering how realistically they tried to shoot it and how different that world is compared to what people are used to seeing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    Don't forget that the Oscar's now nominate 10 films for Best Picture. So, it could very well be on the list. There are a lot of films that are "unknown" that make the lists - "The Hurt Locker" anyone? In other words, they haven't opened in wide release. Or weren't seen by a lot of people. Which of course, is one of the reasons why there are now 10 films.

Not saying that it will will win - but I wouldn't be surprised to see it nominated.
    I know that Oscar started nominating 10 films since last year. Still, it will have to compete against box office hits/sci-fi movies, etc. It was logical that Critics choice nominated the film (they too have 10 nominations), but it may not make the Oscar list, other than Jennifer Lawrence for best actress.

I thought John Hawkes as the uncle did a splendid job too (the audience goes from hating him to liking him in the end), but there are so many supporting actor performances that I don't expect him to get the nom. He did get one for the SAG awards though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I know that Oscar started nominating 10 films since last year. Still, it will have to compete against box office hits/sci-fi movies, etc.
    I think it is definitely "on the bubble". I've seen it described as a movie being "less than the sum of its performances". Which I think is fair, and is the way I felt about the film Mystic River. In any case, we'll know in a couple of days.

I thought John Hawkes as the uncle did a splendid job too (the audience goes from hating him to liking him in the end), but there are so many supporting actor performances that I don't expect him to get the nom. He did get one for the SAG awards though.
    I love John Hawkes. Did you ever see the TV show Profit? It was on Fox in 1997 and only aired about 4 eps before it was yanked. But there is a DVD with all 9 episodes that were filmed. He is in one called "Chinese Box". Awesome. And of course his role in Deadwood. I'd like to see him reunited with Timothy Olyphant for a few eps of Justified.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    I think it is definitely "on the bubble". I've seen it described as a movie being "less than the sum of its performances". Which I think is fair, and is the way I felt about the film Mystic River. In any case, we'll know in a couple of days.

I love John Hawkes. Did you ever see the TV show Profit? It was on Fox in 1997 and only aired about 4 eps before it was yanked. But there is a DVD with all 9 episodes that were filmed. He is in one called "Chinese Box". Awesome. And of course his role in Deadwood. I'd like to see him reunited with Timothy Olyphant for a few eps of Justified.
    I had never heard of John Hawkes. I had never heard of the TV show and other things you mentioned either. I will check them out. Thanks.

vCash
    Saw it last night and liked the show. Glad they showed a segment of society that rarely gets protrayed on tv and movies. However I think the plot itself was a bit silly and just like the movie Precious the people behind this movie rolled all the worse elements of this society up into one bundle which made the characters seem a weee bit too far fetched to be belived. But it is still one of the better movies i have seen in a while.

Spoiler

“Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    So - 4 Oscar noms. Jennifer Lawrence for Actress - no surprise. John Hawkes for Supporting Actor (YAY!), Adapted Screenplay and Picture.

vCash
    Nice to see this movie get the recognition, especially John Hawkes for SA. I thought he would be forgotten. I don't think it will win any Oscars but it is an honor to be nominated.

Blergh
    vCash
    I really wanted to enjoy it more than I actually did.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great movie and I loved the climax -

Spoiler

But like another poster said, it seems to be less than the sum of its parts. It failed to really engage me in a way that I expected. I have it on Netflix DVD and I may watch it again to give it another go.

I loved the themes of it, the portrayal of a segment of society that's rarely shown, and Jennifer Lawrence showed pockets of greatness. However, I think I may have been expecting too much of Frozen River, which is a film that I truly loved.

Out of the Best Actress nominees that I've seen this year (Benning, Lawrence, and Portman), I'd rank Lawrence third, Benning second, and Portman first.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I had no expectations before watching this movie, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12