View Poll Results: Do you prefer to go to movies on your own or with someone?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 36.67%
  • No

17 28.33%
  • Purple

21 35.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Do you prefer to see movies on your own or with someone?

Do you prefer to go to a movie on your own or with someone?

A comment in the King Speech thread made me think this would be a good topic.

I have added the Purple option to keep in the spirit of FSU polls.

ETA - sorry I stuffed the options up. Very very very sorry. Make it if you like to go on your own you vote yes, if you don't vote no.
    Last edited by Aussie Willy; 01-16-2011 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Because AW didn't think!!!
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I voted purple both because purple is a lovely color and because it depends. I used to to go movies I didn't want to see with friends because then they would go see movies they didn't want to see with me. But, why waste time and money seeing a movie I don't want to see? So, now, if there's a movie that I want to see and a friend wants to see it, I prefer to go with friends because then we can make a night of it and talk about the movie afterwards. But, if it's a movie my friends don't want to see, I'll happily go by myself.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    I prefer to see a movie with someone so we can discuss it later, as long as they don't whine, "I hate subtitles," or "This is depressing," when you told them ahead of time the movie had subtitles and/or was depressing. (The friend I saw Winter's Bone with said it was depressing. What did he expect?)

gold dust woman
    vCash
    I think the poll is set up oddly--this isn't a yes or no question.

I prefer to go to movies with one other person, but I'll go alone if I have to. Sometimes I really want to see something and I don't want to drag my husband with me. It's a waste of his time and $10!

vCash
    I don't mind going with someone else, as long as they are someone who doesn't talk all the way through the movie, and knows how to chew with their mouth closed

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I'm a both/either person. I have no problem going to see movies by myself - although I went to see Boys Don't Cry alone and wish I'd had someone with me because it was such a hard movie to watch - but also enjoy company. There are a few friends I have where love of films is a big connection point, and most of our hangout time is going to movies.

for me, part of it is location. There are several cinemas within walking distance to my house. If I want to see a film that's only playing somewhere farther away, I'm less likely to go by myself.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    With someone definitely. I've never gone to a movie alone, honestly the idea of sitting in a theater all alone surrounded by people freaks me out, but then I've also never eaten in a restaurant alone. I do like to shop by myself though. Weird, I never really thought about that until now.

vCash
    I'd rather go with other people, but if I can't find someone who wants to go with me, I'll go alone.

vCash
    I voted purple too, cause I agree its a lovely color. And I like to see movies both with someone and alone.

It used to be, I thought the only way I could go see a movie was to wait until I could find someone who'd want to go with me. But that was far and few between. It wasn't that I was bad company (at least I don't think I was). It was just that everyone had a SO that they "had" to wait and go see the hottest movie with.

When the first Star Trek movie came out, it was a very big deal. But all the Trekkie fans I'd gone to school with in HS had moved on (well, actually, I was the one who moved away) and I'd lost contact with them. But I really really wanted to see it. So, I finally bit the bullet and went and saw it all by myself. I was working night shift at the time, so I just rode the bus into the town my job was in a few few hours earlier than normal, and caught the matinee. It was wonderful.

That same job was a four day work week, and I had Fridays off. So I soon made it a habit to catch a Friday matinee every week. It was fun scanning the papers to see what movie I'd decide to see that week.

My fondest/most memorable experience of that time was when I saw Ladyhawke. I paid for my ticket, got my small popcorn/soda, sat down and waited for the movie to start. Usually about 10-20 people would trickle in and watch the first showing too. But as it got closer to show time, not a single soul showed up. I began to get nervous, and wondered if the mangager would come and throw me out (ask me to select a different movie), since nobody had shown up and it seemed silly to show a movie with only one patron.

Soon, the lights dimmed and sure enough the movie pops up on the screen. I couldn't help but feeling a bit special that I was getting my own private showing of the movie. LOL.

vCash
    I also prefer going with other people. But if no one wants to go with me, then I don't go, either.

vCash
    I prefer to go with others. There are some things best enjoyed shared.

vCash
    I voted purple because I have no preference either way. It's the movie that's important to me, not whether or not I see it with someone. I have lots of friends who are movie-goers, so even if no one goes with me to a particular movie, there is always someone else I know who has seen it and wants to discuss it.

I'd say my movie-going breaks down to 60% with others, 40% on my own.

Alissa Fan Forever
    vCash
    At the cinema, I like to go with someone.

At home, I like to watch alone.

vCash
    I generally go alone.

vCash
    I voted "purple", because I actually prefer not to go to a movie theater at all. I can count the number of films I've actually seen in the theater, in the past 10 years, on one hand. My lifestyle just isn't such that this type of thing is high on my list of priorities. But more power to those who do go - I know a lot of people in the movie biz, so I'm always happy that people go to theaters, and rent and buy DVDs, and etc.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    I prefer going on my own. When I"im with people, they tend to want to ask questions, or make comments and then I miss things. I can also get out of the theatre quickly, and choose wehre i want to sit.

I'll go with others if I have to, but it's not my preference.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatfoote View Post
    ...Soon, the lights dimmed and sure enough the movie pops up on the screen. I couldn't help but feeling a bit special that I was getting my own private showing of the movie. LOL.
    years ago I worked at a coffee shop and we had a trade with the cinema down the street - we gave their employees free coffe and they gave us free tickets. I worked from 5:30am-2pm and loved going to afternoon matinees and often I was the only one there
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    I prefer to go alone.

vCash
    I usually try to go with someone else, but if there is something I want to see I don't mind going alone.

After Skate America in Lake Placid, my friends dropped me off at the Albany airport. I had a few hours to kill before my flight so I went to a nearby mall and saw Paranormal Activity. It was a Monday afternoon so I was the only one in the theater. I kept thinking something was going to jump out at me or I was going to look down the row and see a demon sitting there!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    years ago I worked at a coffee shop and we had a trade with the cinema down the street - we gave their employees free coffe and they gave us free tickets. I worked from 5:30am-2pm and loved going to afternoon matinees and often I was the only one there
    My sister's university is located in a small town outside of Bogota, across from a mall with a movie theater. She has a big chunk of time in between classes which she uses to go to the movies, and it's often just her and her friends

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast